daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 6th, 2015, 08:59 PM   #1781
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8815

I heartily disagree. Shanghai was a much ruder city overall. Nowhere else in China did I have people push me physically out of the way in queues like I did in Shanghai. In Beijing overall people did wait to get on the metro - in the video you can see there was clearly enough space for them to enter as there were not many people coming off the train at that time. No, overall I would say that Shanghai is a nicer city, but the people were nothing like as nice as those in Beijing.

Also, if you think that is pushing to get on a train, you'd also hate Stockholm then as that is exactly how it is here.
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 7th, 2015, 10:03 AM   #1782
Herzarsen
Herzarsen

Likes (Received): 64

I have to agree with Svartmetall. I have lived over a year in Beijing and now a year in Shanghai. Shanghai people are ruthless when it comes to getting off and on subway. Everyone pushes without saying anything. And if they see a seat then even worse. (I personally think the NYE stampede would not have happened in Beijing). Plus they disregard rules of the security guards. 90% dont bother to have their bags checked and just walk passed the workers.

@_Night City Dream_ Your comment about line 2 video does not prove anything. Line 1 and 2 in Beijing are frequented by visitors from other provinces. Both Shanghai and Beijing get their share. But from my personal experience and experience of others that I know, although you can find exceptions everywhere, Beijinger's are overall much more polite and friendly people compared to typical Shanghainese, which are more about money, speed, and focusing on one's own gain. Having said that you will find people from other provinces in Shanghai who are polite and nice as well.

Svartmetall liked this post
Herzarsen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2015, 02:13 PM   #1783
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden

Some more Beijing Subway artwork. Again, featuring South Gate of Forest Park Station.

Nanluoguxiang station.

Guloudajie station entrance.

Line 2 platforms at Guloudajie.

Concourse of Chaoyangmen station (sorry for the blur, it's difficult to get good shots in this light).

Connecting passage between Galaxy SOHO and Chaoyangmen station.

Old February 7th, 2015, 04:23 PM   #1784
ddes

Likes (Received): 933

I don't think the argument is that Shanghainese are ruder than Beijingers. When I was there, there were no real discernible differences in politeness. However, the subway etiquette is another thing altogether, and I think much of the reason why Beijing sees better subway etiquette is because of the constant drilling of announcements about moving in if you're traveling a longer distance and others..., none of which are played as often or at all in Shanghai, and perhaps understanding that Beijing's system is inherently more transfer oriented compared to Shanghai's increasingly more point to point network.

_Night City Dream_ liked this post
ddes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2015, 01:28 AM   #1785
Ramino

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
Train arriving at Guloudajie station on line 2. You can see that most people wait for people to exit before going onto the train. I actually found Beijingers to be much more polite at boarding the subway than I expected (and more polite than Shanghai).

Wow, That's a HUGE difference since my last visit!
Ramino no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2015, 01:08 AM   #1786
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Few more photos for you (some videos to come in a couple of days).

Here we go with line 2 at Chaoyangmen.

And line 6 at Chaoyangmen.

Next day in Beijing. Transferring from line 5 to line 10 at Songjiazhuang. The Yizhuang line is also here.

Changing to line 4 from line 10 at Jiaomen shi.

Lots more to come.
Old February 9th, 2015, 07:12 PM   #1787
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26132

From Rail Journal:

Quote:
http://www.railjournal.com/index.php...ml?channel=540

Beijing Metro line 16 concession agreement signed
Monday, February 09, 2015

THE concession agreement for Beijing Metro Line 16 was signed on February 8 by the Beijing Municipal Government, Beijing MTR Corporation Ltd and the three shareholders of Beijing MTR

Under the agreement, subject to approval by relevant authorities, Beijing MTR will undertake the operations and maintenance of Line 16 for a 30-year term. Construction of the 50km Line, which is part of a Public-Private Partnership (PPP) project, will include 29 stations and has a total capital cost of about Yuan 49.5bn ($US 7.9m).

Beijing MTR is a joint venture comprising MTR Corporation Limited (49%), Beijing Capital Group Limited (49%) and Beijing Infrastructure Investment Corporation Limited (2%). Phase 1 is targeted to open by the end of 2016 and full line operations are expected to commence after 2017

Svartmetall liked this post
dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2015, 11:50 PM   #1788
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

A couple more videos.

First interchanging from line 5 to line 10 at Songjiazhuang station.

Next, walking through Xidan station to the line 1 platforms. If you listen carefully, you can hear the Japanese song (the Dango Song) or Dango Daikazaku playing in the background! I didn't notice it was even there until I heard it when I uploaded it now!

Old February 10th, 2015, 07:06 PM   #1789
NergiZed

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimlys1994 View Post
From Rail Journal:
Such wondrous news, Beijing MTR runs things much better than the Beijing Mass Transit. I'm already incredibly happy that line 14 is run by them, and I've heard that they've done a good job with line 4.

dimlys1994 liked this post
NergiZed no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2015, 01:06 PM   #1790
ddes

Quote:
Originally Posted by NergiZed View Post
Such wondrous news, Beijing MTR runs things much better than the Beijing Mass Transit. I'm already incredibly happy that line 14 is run by them, and I've heard that they've done a good job with line 4.
To be honest, I thought Beijing Subway does a better job as far as crowd control is concerned. Beijing MTR always seemed shocked that so many people ride the line.
Old February 11th, 2015, 02:04 PM   #1791
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18195

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddes View Post
To be honest, I thought Beijing Subway does a better job as far as crowd control is concerned. Beijing MTR always seemed shocked that so many people ride the line.
Guess you haven't been on Lines 1 and 2 lately ...

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2015, 06:07 PM   #1792
lkstrknb
Chicago Luke

Likes (Received): 804

http://www.chinadailyasia.com/busine..._15119182.html

Maglev trains speeding toward greener future

Wednesday, February 19, 2014, 08:35
By ZHONG NAN in Tangshan, Hebei

China CNR Corp Ltd, one of the country’s biggest train makers, will deliver by year’s end 10 six-coach maglev trains to Beijing’s subway system for what will be the country’s second commercial urban maglev rail route.
Anxious to tackle environmental problems caused by heavy car use, coal-burning industries and the fast pace of urbanization, Beijing is building a maglev urban rail route — the Daitai line, also known as the S1 — that will start at North Beijing’s Haidian district, pass through Shijingshan district and end in Mentougou district in Beijing’s western outskirts. The 11-kilometer line will become operational some time between September and December 2015.
lkstrknb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2015, 11:03 PM   #1793
saiho

Likes (Received): 1296

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Night City Dream_ View Post
Wrong. It depends on so many factors.
Like what? Use cases and cultural factors are more or less similar across China proper.
saiho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2015, 02:13 AM   #1794
ddes

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
Guess you haven't been on Lines 1 and 2 lately ...
Lately, as in these past month? Nope, but till Christmas, yes, every day.
Old February 13th, 2015, 02:30 AM   #1795
ode of bund

Likes (Received): 70

On January 15th, Beijing has quietly inserted some trolleys on BRT3, and thus instituting the fifth trolley BRT in the world after Tehran, Quito, Merida, and Boston. At 23km of total route length, BRT3 is also the longest trolley route in China now, surpassing Beijing's route 118 at 17km. Currently BRT3 is still predominantly a diesel service, but won't be for very long. Trolleys will eventually replace all diesels.

BRT3 was created in 2008 before the Beijing Olympics. It runs from An-ding-men (安定门), a subway station on Beijing's 2nd Ring Road, to Hong-fu-yuan (宏福苑), a newly developed residential community at city's far upper northern outskirts. Electrification started in November 2014, rapid progress was made in construction of new sub-stations, stringing of wires, as well as a new fleet of trolley-buses by Young-MAN Auto Industry in Jinhua, Zhejiang Province, so that by January, trolleys are ready to roll.

Here is a route map of Beijing BRT3

Various pictures of Young-MAN EBRT trolleys.

Old February 13th, 2015, 02:33 AM   #1796
ode of bund

Likes (Received): 70

Meanwhile, Beijing is also working on converting BRT1 to trolley as well.
ode of bund no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2015, 04:44 PM   #1797
dodge321

Likes (Received): 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddes View Post
Line 4 in Shenzhen is operated by MTR Corp, I don't see what's so special about it. Most noticeable difference is that the English announcement is the same British English you hear in Hong Kong MTR, meh.
dodge321 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2015, 05:00 PM   #1798
dodge321

Likes (Received): 121

Man how Beijing Metro has grown since 2008, when I last lived there. Next time I go I'll need to spend at least a day just on the metro system. (What fun.)

Regarding boarding & disembarking etiquette, I find Shenzhen has improved noticeably as well.
dodge321 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2015, 08:53 PM   #1799
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

So here are a few more videos from Beijing, including a more rare video from a bus.

Here is bus number 2 from Tiananmen dong to shazikou.

Line 1 at Tiananmen xi.

Line 1 at Wangfujing - two trains departing.

Hope you guys are enjoying this.
Old February 14th, 2015, 09:49 PM   #1800
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18195

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodge321 View Post
Line 4 in Shenzhen is operated by MTR Corp, I don't see what's so special about it. Most noticeable difference is that the English announcement is the same British English you hear in Hong Kong MTR, meh.
The key difference is transparency. MTR reports even short delays to the public, which was unimaginable in mainland metros before.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!

Dooie_Amsterdammert liked this post
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
beijing, metro