daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 15th, 2015, 06:38 AM   #1801
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Likes (Received): 883

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
I use a cave station daily. They suck for regular users as they are so depressing - it's bad enough we never get any light in this country anyway, let alone when the stations are so dreary. They are leaky, damp and dark. Give me a brightly lit, functional and easy to use metro station that is not pointlessly deep like most of the cave stations are. When I visited Stockholm, I thought the same as you guys - "wow, aren't these amazing, they look incredible". Then I used them daily and realised that they don't feel as nice as a regular metro station. There is no concourse level and many stations only have one exit too, so they're not very well planned either like these metro stations that, whilst being dull are far more useful for regular users. I guess I'm just not someone who puts artistic consideration above function.
Are you sure you're just not getting sick of your station because you use it so often?

I had to use Parliament station here for a few years. I grew to HATE it. All the crowds, the gigantic escalators, the ugly blue and columns that are meant to resemble the ones on the actual Parliament building. But I know I just hated it because I used it every day and I associated it with work.

Or are the Stockholm stations really that dysfunctional?

Anyway, I really enjoyed your photos and videos. Thanks for sharing them, really appreciate it!

Svartmetall liked this post
city_thing no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 15th, 2015, 01:31 PM   #1802
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8835

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_thing View Post
Are you sure you're just not getting sick of your station because you use it so often?

I had to use Parliament station here for a few years. I grew to HATE it. All the crowds, the gigantic escalators, the ugly blue and columns that are meant to resemble the ones on the actual Parliament building. But I know I just hated it because I used it every day and I associated it with work.

Or are the Stockholm stations really that dysfunctional?

Anyway, I really enjoyed your photos and videos. Thanks for sharing them, really appreciate it!
Oh no, I like Sankt Eriksplan and Odenplan stations and I use those twice daily too. They are simple stations without over the top ornamentation, they are brightly lit and they have very easy exits at both ends of the platform. Because they are easy to use and bright they feel like a nicer experience than the cave stations.

They're not dysfunctional stations per se, they're just artistic. Artistic vision doesn't always marry 100% with practical considerations and can sometimes override ergonomic considerations (such as good amounts of lighting, brighter colours to make it feel less claustrophobic etc).
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2015, 02:10 PM   #1803
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden

Here we go. A few more videos from my time in Beijing.

Firstly, transfer between Line 5 and the (then) brand new Line 7 at Ciqikou.

Riding Line 7 (look at the interior of the trains and at the announcements) and arrival at Beijing West Railway Station to see line 9 and the station itself (video to the exit).

Interchange from Line 9 to Line 6 at Bashiqiao station.

Interchange between Line 6 and Line 2 at Chegongzhuang Station.

Platform to Exit at Qianmen station from the Line 2 platforms.

Old March 10th, 2015, 01:16 PM   #1804
ccdk

Likes (Received): 983

UNOFFICIAL - Beijing 2030 subway map :)

Norge78, storms991 liked this post
ccdk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2015, 06:03 PM   #1805
孟天宝

Likes (Received): 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccdk View Post
*snip*
Map says latest update is May 2011 and knowing Beijing, the plans now are probably twice as large!

Also, any reason why Line 11 does a loop-de-loop in the west?
孟天宝 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2015, 06:06 PM   #1806
kunming tiger

Likes (Received): 1665

estimated length ?
kunming tiger no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2015, 11:54 PM   #1807
Falubaz

Likes (Received): 2940

Looks like they like circle lines. There are plenty of them on this plan!

₪₪₪Zielona Góra moim okiem₪₪₪ Zielonogórskie autobusy₪₪₪Port Lotniczy ZIElona Góra₪₪₪ BRT₪₪₪ścieżki rowerowe w ZG
₪₪₪[Świat] „Przebłyski pamięci”₪₪₪Moja Ameryka - nie tylko Stany
Falubaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2015, 03:15 AM   #1808
Highcliff
Fake democracy

Likes (Received): 5011

mother of god
Highcliff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2015, 05:54 AM   #1809
storms991
Leicester:NY:London

Likes (Received): 81

wow, looks very ambitious. hope it's constructed. it would be truly a marvel of civil engineering and political efficiency.
storms991 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2015, 08:11 AM   #1810
kunming tiger

Old March 11th, 2015, 08:16 AM   #1811
kunming tiger

Beijing gears up subway transport network

The second phase of Beijing's Subway Line 6, planned for trial operation by the end of 2014, will extend the line to 43 kilometers east-west through the city and boost the public transport system, an official said on Wednesday at a press conference.

Line 6, which also links Line 1, will form a key channel for workers and residents traveling in those directions, said Zhang Wenqiang, director of the rail transport department under the Beijing Municipal Commission of Transport. It will connect the eastern Tongzhou district, the planned sub-center of the city, with the downtown area, and help spur the development of surrounding areas, he said.

The newly constructed section in Tongzhou is 12.4 km long with eight stations. The stations are also designed to reflect the local history and culture.

The Beiguan and Xinhuadajie stations of the section are also designed to transfer commuters to the planned Line R1 and Line S6, which are part of the city's long-term transport blueprint.

Passenger flow on Line 6 is now about 600,000 trips a day, which is expected to rise to 800,000 trips in the initial stages of the operation of the new section. Train intervals will be shortened to three and half minutes during the morning peak hour from the present four minutes, and to three minutes for the evening rush hour.

The length of Beijing's subway network will hit 527 km once the 62 km of line extensions including the latest on Line 6 are rolled out by the end of 2014, said Zhang Chengman, an official of the Beijing Rail Transport company.

By May 2014, Beijing had 17 operating railway lines totaling 467 km (excluding Line S2), with 231 stations. The subway system, covering 11 districts, handles 10 million trips in one workday and about 11.55 million during peak days. Billed as the busiest metro system in China, it also claims three top rankings in terms of operating time, passenger capacity and the number of departures during rush hour.

Plans to build a subway system in Beijing began in 1953. Subway Line 1 started in 1965 and was completed in 1969. It was the first metro in China.

Beijing subway milestones:

- Sept 15, 2004: Beijing Subway website launched.

- Oct 16, 2004: Barrier-free access on Line 1 and Line 2.

- Newly designed air-conditioned trains put into use on Batong Line before May 1, 2005. The old trains used natural ventilation instead of air-conditioning.

- Oct 9, 2005: Mobile TV successfully broadcast on Line 13.

- June 9, 2008: Auto-ticket system launched, ending 38 years of using paper tickets.

- June 29, 2008: Security checks carried out in runup to Beijing Olympics and continue from then on.

- Aug 8, 2008: Round-the-clock service (excluding Airport Express) on first day of Beijing Olympics. The departure of the first train on the Olympic Branch Line at 4:38 am symbolized the 45-hour non-stop operation of the system for the first time, breaking the record for longest operating time since its introduction in 1969.

- Sept 28, 2009: Opening of Line 4, the second north-to-south artery after Line 5.

- March 8, 2013: Record set for transporting 11.05 million people on a single day, ranking first in usage rate worldwide for the first time.

- Nov 13, 2013: Beijing Municipal Commission of Transport announces installation of screen doors in all stations on Line 13 and the Batong Line before the end of 2013.

- May 22, 2014: The 11th session of the 14th Standing Committee of the Beijing Municipal People's Congress discusses safety rules for the subway, including the Urban Construction and Environmental Protection Commission's suggestion to add three rules to prohibit eating, begging and the distributing of advertisements.

- The first batch of "unmanned" trains will be unveiled on the Yanfang Line by the end of next year. The trains are expected to run automatically with a set of actions to stop or depart without the intervention of drivers or crew members.
Old March 11th, 2015, 08:20 AM   #1812
kunming tiger

Subway victim was struggling single mom

For Pan Xiaomei, a 33-year-old single mom, Nov 6 started as a happy day, according to details of her life reported by The Beijing News on Monday.

She had sold six cell phones that day, receiving 50 yuan ($8.3) for each, and was headed home on the subway to celebrate. She never finished her journey.

At around 7 pm, Pan transferred to subway Line 5 at Huixinxijie Nankou station on her way to her home to Tiantongyuan station.

Records show the passenger volume on Line 5 that day at nearly one million. In total, Beijing Subway had 9.3 million passengers on its 14 subway lines on the day.

Pan, one of the million commuters, was pushed along by the crowd while boarding, becoming trapped between the train and the safety door. She fell on the track as the train pulled out of the station.

After a series of sickening thuds against the screen doors, the moving train was stopped. Severely injured, Pan died after being sent to a hospital.

In the days since the accident, Pan has become a tragic symbol of a segment of society struggling to adjust to urban life.

Pan, from Pingquan city in North China's Hebei province, had worked as a sales consultant for over 10 years. Her company paid her a 3,000 yuan basic monthly salary with commissions. She worked an hour away from her home in Tiantongyuan.

Tiantongyuan, a sprawling residential district, is regarded as a good place to start a life in Beijing due to its cheap rent and convenient transportation.

According to Pan's father, her home was less than six square meters, the bed taking up most of the space.

Pan lived a frugal life, using her pay to support her family and her 7-year-old son who lives with his grandparents in Pingquan. In fact, her boy was reportedly her only motive to stay in Beijing and seek a better future.

On a typical night, Pan would have returned to her neighborhood and set up a stand to sell socks for a few hours to supplement her income. She had dreamed of someday leaving Beijing to return home to raise her child.

Instead, her son attended his mother's funeral in Maolangou last week. Her ashes were buried in the family cornfield with no tombstone.

Back at Line 5's Huixinxijie Nankou station, the safety door has been repaired since the accident. The subway is still packed every day.
Old March 11th, 2015, 09:06 AM   #1813
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1937

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccdk View Post
[Huge-ass Beijing subway map]
This is even crazier than the 30th edition from August 2009. At least now line 16 is where it will actually run.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2015, 06:33 PM   #1814
ddes

Likes (Received): 939

Is the fantasy map even an indication of planned projects? Some station names are a bit...off.
ddes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2015, 10:56 PM   #1815
ccdk

Likes (Received): 983

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddes View Post
Is the fantasy map even an indication of planned projects? Some station names are a bit...off.
I think it's a mix with existing plans, and, fantasies.

On the top left corner of the picture it says "in 2030, it's not the roads that are congested in Beijing, but subway lines"
ccdk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2015, 11:48 PM   #1816
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1937

I also like that the line list includes a Beijing JR Shanshou (i.e. Yamanote) line, nowhere to be found. I can't understand what it says below, though.
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2015, 06:28 AM   #1817
kunming tiger

Unsnarling heavy traffic requires prolonged effort

Beijing authorities are making comprehensive efforts to reduce the city's heavy traffic congestion, for example by promoting public transportation, but the improvements come step by step and will require prolonged determination, a senior traffic official said.

"It will take a long time to ease traffic congestion in Beijing," said Zhou Zhengyu, director of the municipal traffic committee.

"We need to make great efforts to tackle these problems and to present traffic system improvements for residents each year," he said.

One city initiative that could help keep the problem from growing is Beijing's plan to limit the population to no more than 23 million by 2020. According to the latest tally, in 2013, the capital has 21.14 million residents. And they are all on the move.

Last year, 5.6 million vehicles were registered in Beijing, and 8.5 million trips by car were made each day.

According to the traffic authority's 2015 work report on the transportation system, the city's traffic system has many problems, such as severe congestion on some roads, and insufficient transportation services for residents.

In 2014, Beijing residents spent about two hours in traffic congestion every working day, the same as the amount of time as in 2013. The traffic performance index, released by the Beijing Commission of Transportation, stopped increasing for the first time in four years, indicating the overall traffic situation did not worsen last year.

But in some areas within the Third Ring Road, traffic congestion did not improve and is instead deteriorating, Zhou said, adding that there are no easy solutions.

In addition, the difficulties of providing sufficient parking areas and regulating the chaos in parking has become one of the thorniest problems, he said.

One of the central initiations to counter these problems is the city's comprehensive effort to promote other, "green" means of transportation - buses, the metro and bicycles - which are projected to play a bigger role in 2015, accounting for 70.5 percent of the trips made in the city, compared with 60 percent the previous year, according to the Transportation Commission.

To stimulate greater use of public transportation, the city will complete work on two metro lines this year, adding 27 km, to reach a total of 554 km, the largest metro system in the nation. In addition, another two metro lines are under construction and will add 130 km.

The city will also crack down on illegal parking and driving on bicycle paths to protect bicyclists' safety, according the committee's work report.
Old March 15th, 2015, 09:54 AM   #1818
Silly_Walks

Likes (Received): 836

They just "promoted public transportation" by increasing fares for the subway

"One city initiative that could help keep the problem from growing is Beijing's plan to limit the population to no more than 23 million by 2020."

That would just force people to live right outside of the city borders, and cause MORE traffic into the city. Better to keep the city as compact as possible so public transport is more viable (and even profitable). Stop building B- or C-class 4 and 6 train lines. A-class all the way, 8 car minimum
Silly_Walks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2015, 12:00 AM   #1819
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Two videos from central Beijing.

Firstly, walking towards the line 2 platforms at Beijing Railway Station.

Next, a short ride on Line 2 between Beijing Railway station and Chongwenmen followed by a transfer to line 5.

Old March 16th, 2015, 10:40 PM   #1820
Petr
Iroquois of Europe

Likes (Received): 2564

Filming of the doors was brilliant. Anyway, I enjoy street life patterns of all places I haven't been to.
Petr no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
beijing, metro