daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 16th, 2015, 11:39 PM   #1821
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8810

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petr View Post

Filming of the doors was brilliant. Anyway, I enjoy street life patterns of all places I haven't been to.
Haha, that's because I didn't want to annoy people by filming them, but I wanted people to hear the announcements, and how it sounds to take the subway in Beijing.

People generally don't like being filmed so that was the compromise.
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 17th, 2015, 05:37 AM   #1822
storms991
Leicester:NY:London

Likes (Received): 81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly_Walks View Post

They just "promoted public transportation" by increasing fares for the subway

"One city initiative that could help keep the problem from growing is Beijing's plan to limit the population to no more than 23 million by 2020."

That would just force people to live right outside of the city borders, and cause MORE traffic into the city. Better to keep the city as compact as possible so public transport is more viable (and even profitable). Stop building B- or C-class 4 and 6 train lines. A-class all the way, 8 car minimum
I would say that the problem of people skirting the law by living outside the city borders wouldn't necessarily work in china due to the nature of the government's structure and the hukou system. I would additionally propose that they have the ability to enforce laws and regulations such as these in a far stricter manner than their european and american counterparts.
storms991 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2015, 08:11 AM   #1823
kunming tiger

Likes (Received): 1665

Quote:
Originally Posted by storms991 View Post
I would say that the problem of people skirting the law by living outside the city borders wouldn't necessarily work in china due to the nature of the government's structure and the hukou system. I would additionally propose that they have the ability to enforce laws and regulations such as these in a far stricter manner than their european and american counterparts.
You have to be a little more specific than that if you want to make an effective argument .

The Hukou system as it exists has not stopped the mass migration of people into Urban areas.

As for law enforcement it requires time, energy and money and is rarely 100% effective.
kunming tiger no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2015, 04:24 PM   #1824
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18178

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly_Walks View Post

They just "promoted public transportation" by increasing fares for the subway

"One city initiative that could help keep the problem from growing is Beijing's plan to limit the population to no more than 23 million by 2020."

That would just force people to live right outside of the city borders, and cause MORE traffic into the city. Better to keep the city as compact as possible so public transport is more viable (and even profitable). Stop building B- or C-class 4 and 6 train lines. A-class all the way, 8 car minimum
Many of the migrants work and live on-site and these people don't have hukou. Their families stay in their hometowns so living in worker housing by themselves is perfectly suitable. For example, construction workers live in portable housing at the site itself. They cannot afford to live outside and commute anyway.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2015, 06:53 PM   #1825
Petr
Iroquois of Europe

Likes (Received): 2564

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
Haha, that's because I didn't want to annoy people by filming them, but I wanted people to hear the announcements, and how it sounds to take the subway in Beijing.

People generally don't like being filmed so that was the compromise.
I know, You did it purposely, but it still looks hilarious.

Last edited by Petr; March 17th, 2015 at 10:44 PM.
Petr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2015, 06:55 PM   #1826
dewlin07

Likes (Received): 710

Another derailment again on Beijing Subway...

Metro train on Yizhuang Line of Beijing Subway derails
2015-03-25 20:58:00 Xinhua News
Quote:
Photo taken with a cellphone on March 25, 2015 shows the site where a metro train on a debug run derails in Beijing, capital of China. The metro train on the Yizhuang Line of Beijing Subway derailed around 3:00 p.m.

At least three train carriages came off the tracks, with one having fallen into a narrow river gutter.

Photos posted by witnesses online indicated no passengers were on board at the time. The run was being carried out on the Taihu section of the Yizhuang Line.

Old March 25th, 2015, 07:05 PM   #1827
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5758

Where is the Taihu section of the Yizhuang Line? Is that section in operation?
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2015, 08:14 PM   #1828
Falubaz

Likes (Received): 2940

It looks like depot or something.

₪₪₪Zielona Góra moim okiem₪₪₪ Zielonogórskie autobusy₪₪₪Port Lotniczy ZIElona Góra₪₪₪ BRT₪₪₪ścieżki rowerowe w ZG
₪₪₪[Świat] „Przebłyski pamięci”₪₪₪Moja Ameryka - nie tylko Stany
Falubaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2015, 07:02 PM   #1829
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden

A few more videos from the Beijing subway from me.

Firstly, a blurry shot of the new interchange between line 14 and line 15 at Wangjing. My camera messed up for my shots of line 14, which I am really annoyed about given it was one of the new lines!

Interchange between line 15 and line 8 at Olympic Green station.

Interchange between line 8 and line 2 at Guloudajie station.

Tiananmen East station with two line 1 trains leaving.

Old April 10th, 2015, 06:27 PM   #1830
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18178

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!

Arnorian, ccdk, dewlin07 liked this post
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2015, 08:26 PM   #1831
kunming tiger

Likes (Received): 1665

Beijing seeks new private investment to expand subway
By ZHENG JINRAN (China Daily)

Move comes after construction costs soar in past few years

Beijing plans to attract more nongovernment funds to fuel the rapid expansion of the subway network, the company responsible for providing finance and planning new projects has revealed.

Construction costs have almost doubled in the past six years, the Beijing Infrastructure Investment Co said.

The technical and economic performance index, which reflects construction costs, increased to 1 billion yuan ($161 million) per kilometer in 2014 for subway lines in the downtown area, according to figures released by the company. The corresponding figure in 2007 was 571 million yuan.

The municipal government has annual allocations to fund subway construction projects, and these reached 15.5 billion yuan in 2014.

Most of the money is provided by the company, which has invested more than 251.3 billion yuan in the network in recent years-enough to build 110 Bird's Nest stadiums or 246 Water Cube aquatics centers.

Now the capital's municipal government has released a guideline designed to attract more funds from private sources to finance large public projects, including the subway.

Yang Xuhui, an official at the Beijing Municipal Commission of Development and Reform, the city's top economic planner, said companies can invest either alone or as a part of a consortium.

"More than one company has shown an interest," he added.

Beijing was the first city on the Chinese mainland to build a metro system, and there are now 18 lines covering a total distance of 527 kilometers. The total is scheduled to reach around 1,000 kilometers by 2020 to meet the huge demand from the capital's population of more than 21 million. The expansion should ease traffic congestion and reduce air pollution.

The cost of materials, labor, machinery and land acquisition and resettlement has also continued to rise, and this has pushed up the amount of investment needed, the company said.

Metro construction projects in other cities have also been affected by rising costs. It is estimated that at least 3 trillion yuan will be invested nationwide in networks that will cover a total distance of 6,000 kilometers by 2020, official Li Guoyong told China Business Times. Li works in the infrastructure projects section of the National Development and Reform Commission, the country's top economic planning agency.

There are currently two companies involved in running the capital's network-city-owned Beijing Mass Transit Railway Operation Corp, and Beijing MTR Corp, a public-private joint venture with Hong Kong's MTR.

On Feb 8, Beijing MTR Corp paid 15 billion yuan for the right to operate Line 16 for 30 years. It already runs Line 4 and Line 14.

Safety is a major concern both during the construction process and after new lines open.

Le Guiping, a spokesman for Beijing MTR Construction Administration, which is in charge of building the company's projects, said: "We have a safety and emergency command center that monitors the whole process from construction of the facilities to test runs."

The center came into operation in January.

A second monitoring center is designed to ensure that lines operate safely. This supplies information about passenger flows and other data to the government to help it reach decisions on the future development of the network.

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2...t_20400196.htm
kunming tiger no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2015, 07:39 PM   #1832
ilovecoffee

Likes (Received): 25

dimlys1994, lkstrknb, Zaz965 liked this post
ilovecoffee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2015, 11:46 PM   #1833
lkstrknb
Chicago Luke

Likes (Received): 804

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovecoffee View Post
I hope they actually do build this. There have been news reports for years saying that it is under construction.
lkstrknb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2015, 07:12 AM   #1834
saiho

Likes (Received): 1293

Beijing breaks ridership record again On April 30th 2015.

11.78 million riders rode the subway.

Line 1 - 1.347 million
Line 2 - 1.359 million
Line 5 - 1.085 million
Line 6 - 922,000
Line 7 - 365,000
Line 8 - 431,000
Line 9 - 620,000
Line 10 - 1.816 million
Line 13 - 871,000
Line 15 - 259,000
Batong Line - 331,000
Changping Line - 201,000
Fangshan Line - 132,000
Yizhuang Line - 205,000
Airport Line - 47,000

Source
Old May 5th, 2015, 11:59 AM   #1835
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1935

How about lines 4, 14 and 14? (No, I didn't make any mistake as there are two lines 14 ) I don't like that because there are two different operators some lines are missing...
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.

Woonsocket54 liked this post
CNGL está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2015, 03:11 PM   #1836
saiho

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGL View Post
How about lines 4, 14 and 14? (No, I didn't make any mistake as there are two lines 14 ) I don't like that because there are two different operators some lines are missing...
Well the total is 11.78 million and the non-MTR lines carried 9.99 million so that means the MTR lines carried 1.79 million. Based on what I have seen before, I would say:

Line 4 ~1.2 million
Daxing ~300,000
Line 14 ~290,000 (the rest as it is a very new line with recent additions)
saiho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2015, 05:57 AM   #1837
saiho

Beijing intends to start construction of Express Subway Lines (Line 17 and Line 19) Line 7 Extension and Line 12 In 2015.

Source
Old May 22nd, 2015, 12:50 AM   #1838
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Another of my videos of Beijing buses - this time a bus ride from just inside the second ring road to Tiananmen Square on bus 2 coming from shazikou. I love the announcements on the bus from the "helper".

Old May 26th, 2015, 10:03 PM   #1839
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

More Metro videos from Beijing.

First up - Tiananmen West station.

And Xidan - one of my favourite districts in Beijing (a major shopping destination).

Old May 30th, 2015, 10:31 PM   #1840
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

My final set of videos from Beijing. Am really looking forward to returning in the future and using this massive system again. One of the best in the world.

First video - interchange between Line 4 and Line 13 at Xizhimen station in the north west of Beijing.

Interchange between Line 13 and the Changping line at Xi'erqi station.

Changping line at Xi'erqi station.

Life Science Park station.

A window view through a rather dirty train window from Xi'erqi station to Xizhimen station. Note the long distance train racing us (and we won on the metro train surprisingly)! Also note the amount of graffiti, which surprised me a lot to see in Beijing!

Line 2 at Xizhimen station.

Interchange between line 2 and line 1 at Jianguomen station.

Hope you guys enjoyed my videos. I know they're not very professional, but at least they give you a picture of the Beijing subway!

Last edited by Svartmetall; May 30th, 2015 at 10:59 PM.

Tags
beijing, metro