SkyscraperCity Forum banner

WATERLOO NEIGHBOURHOOD TOUR #1... Maple Hills

3K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  oceanmdx 
#1 ·
Okay, guys... I will add more photos at a later time, but some will be up in a few minutes... I was using my old digital camera, and I am not saying this to make excuses but the photos were all taken from my bike and that camera just lets them blur like mad... so almost every photo is blurry. However, on a rainy or overcast day (when the neighbourhood looks really leafy and dramatic) I will take some nice photos with my better camera. And as for the photography, it's all taken from my bike so the photos aren't set up like professional ones... however, I hope you all get atleast a slight feel for what the neighbourhood feels like.

I will put the photos up soon, and I am doing some research on the neighbourhood to make sure my facts are correct.

Stay tuned.

#3 · (Edited)
Part One: October 2

Maple Hills is a Waterloo, Ontario neighbourhood from the 1960's. It is located on a nice end of the city, blending itself between Glasgow/Westmount, and Beechwood and Westvale, which are all some of the city's nicest neighbourhoods.

Maple Hills is a neighbourhood where most houses now sell for upwards of $550,000- but the neighbourhood is very hidden away and anonymous from the outside streets that border it (Fischer-Hallman St. and Erb St.) and many do not know about it. However, driving into the neighbourhood is like going through a portal and entering a tucked-away, expensive precinct.

The neighbourhood was a custom neighbourhood where different designs of houses were built on different lots- no subdivision here. The houses were all designed in generally good taste, and the lots are large. The architecture varies quite nicely.

One of the most characterising factor of the neighbourhood is its twisting country-like roads without sidewalks, its absolutely massive maple trees, its creek, and the fact that there are no lawns- the whole area has been landscaped. It is like one large park, with mulch humps and bumps, curving gardens wrapping around houses, stones and pebbles, and such.

The neighbourhood is absolutely lush and everything feels organic and stately. The proximity to the older areas such as Westmount/Glasgow and Uptown Waterloo are also pluses. The north end of the neighbourhood is also tucked away because it borders on a wartime home area and you would never suspect what is behind. The area is served by a modest but very popular and quality-tenant plaza called the Quick Trip Variety, on Erb St., however many residents use neighbouring Beechwood's services and grocery store.

Sorry for the poor quality of the photography.

-SP!RE

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.