daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 11th, 2006, 08:13 AM   #321
rise_against
Olde Guard

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCanuck
Sorry bud, but you're way off. That is not the new official rendering of Sapphire. It was just something Elliot had thought of and cassius had put in 3-d. I think he does mind that you post it here also. If you read an earlier post in the topic he said to NOT post them anywhere else.
No I didnt...JK sorry about that!

Sponsored Links
Old February 12th, 2006, 05:52 PM   #322
cassius

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCanuck
Sorry bud, but you're way off. That is not the new official rendering of Sapphire. It was just something Elliot had thought of and cassius had put in 3-d. I think he does mind that you post it here also. If you read an earlier post in the topic he said to NOT post them anywhere else.
You're correct, CrazyCanuck. I specifically asked that these not be posted anywhere other than Urban Toronto. Thanks for pointing that out to him, but do you think you could edit your post to remove the image link from your quote?
cassius no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2006, 08:29 PM   #323
rise_against
Olde Guard

Likes (Received): 8

In my defense the picture was posted and no one said anything about that rule. It was not until a few hours later that someone mentioned that rule. Sorry Cassius I would not have done it if i had known.
Old February 13th, 2006, 02:19 AM   #324
DrT
"The Ignorant Fool"

Likes (Received): 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassius
You're correct, .... I specifically asked that these not be posted anywhere other than Urban Toronto.

Guys, please, please, no "premature renderification" of the Sapphire.

I am sure Cassius will post the "final" rendering as soon as he feels he can
for us to ogle.

He's always come through for us.
DrT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2006, 03:41 AM   #325
CrazyCanuck
MOD SQUAD

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassius
You're correct, CrazyCanuck. I specifically asked that these not be posted anywhere other than Urban Toronto. Thanks for pointing that out to him, but do you think you could edit your post to remove the image link from your quote?
No problem, I have removed the link in the quote.
CrazyCanuck no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2006, 07:52 PM   #326
Mike in TO

Likes (Received): 0

Nice fake picture of RoCP to make it look taller...

You guys are way too optimistic. In fact you are dreaming if you think all of these proposals are going to get built. There is no way 15 - 500 footers are going to get built in 4 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SG1978:
but Toronto will hit 32 building over 500+ foot building tower without CN Tower by around 2010? because Trump International Hotel & Tower, One Bloor East, Signature Tower, BCE III, Wellington Square, Richmond-Adelaide Centre II, The Uptown Residences, Festival Tower, Sapphire Tower, Bay-Adelaide Centre West Tower, Bay-Adelaide Centre East Tower, Ritz-Carlton, Shangri-La, Four Seasons Residences, Hummingbird Centre, 20 York Street, Maple Leaf Squuare South Tower & North Tower and Bay-Adelaide Centre North Tower will build but when? and they did approve or not? Toronto will hit over 30 of 500+ foot building tower by 2010?
Trump is in trouble and not selling well (no condo units sold the entire third quarter last year). It may still be built, but I wouldn't expect it to break ground any time soon.

One Bloor East has had no movement the past two and a half years. Kolter is focusing on their Florida portfolio - This building will not likely even hit the market in 2006. Kolter may choose to sell the property and another developer may submit a new proposal. I highly doubt One Bloor East will be built any time soon and whenever it does re-emerge expect something different than the old renderings still floating around.

Signiture at Cityplace is more than 4 years away. There are several smaller towers that represent thousands of units that have to sell and be built first. The condo market is softening. I wouldn't expect Signature to even hit the market in the next five years.

BCE3 is an old proposal. It is not a priority of Brookfield's. Bay Adelaide is their current Toronto focus. Nothing will happen on the BCE3 site for at least a decade if at all. Even when/if there is a new proposal it may not even reach 500 feet.

Richmond Adelaide II: This isn't even on the commercial radar screen. There are a number of other proposals that may be built this cycle. There is not enough demand for this proposal to even have a remote chance of construction the next 5 years - probably much longer.

Uptown - This will likely start construction in the second half of 2006.

Festival - Some funding issues remain, but marketing is scheduled to commence this year. If all goes well for Daniels and the Festival Centre construction could potentially start in 2007.

Sapphire - Maybe Stinson will prove me wrong, but families are not clamoring to pay a premium to buy large units at Bay and Richmond. I would be very surprised if this tower is ever built.

Bay Adelaide Centre (3 Towers) - Strong indications that one tower will start construction in late 2006. There is strong competition from the Wellington site for first office tower to start construction in Toronto. There is only so much demand and some projects (ie Richmond Adelaide) simply won't get built. I'm optimistic Bay Adelaide Tower 1 may start construction this year. I wouldn't hold my breath on the other 2 phases to start anytime soon.

Ritz - Strong sales, construction likely to start in mid to late 2006.

Wellington (Office Tower beside Ritz): This tower is competing with Bay Adelaide to be the first major office tower to get started. If current leasing trends continue this project could maybe get started in late 2006 or 2007.

Shangri La - Is there a strong enough market for all these 5 stars? (Trump, Ritz, 4 Seasons and Shangri La). One or two may not get built. If Shangri La goes to market in late 2006 an early 2008 construction start would be the best case scenario. Approvals still pending.

Four Seasons - Height has not been confirmed, approvals still pending. This will likely be a winner considering the brand and location. Maybe a 2008 construction start if things go smoothly.

Hummingbird - Very quiet the last few months. This project may never see the light of day. Softening condo market may hurt this project as the design and location will require steep prices.

20 York - No one even knows if this will even be 500 feet. Office market may not be able to absorb the space. This is a big question mark.

Maple Leaf Towers (north and south) - Selling like hot cakes. Approvals still pending. These will likely start construction in late 2006 or early 2007.

In conclussion, as you can see many of these towers will not be built. Just because something is proposed doesn't mean in 2010 it will be standing in the skyline.

Last edited by Mike in TO; February 17th, 2006 at 07:58 PM.
Mike in TO no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2006, 02:31 AM   #327
elliot

Likes (Received): 32

A toast to you Mike... even though my glass is apparently "half empty".

Well said. It's going to rain tomorrow.

Regards.

Chicken Little.
elliot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2006, 05:47 AM   #328
Mike in TO

Likes (Received): 0

Elliott - there are a lot of positive developments out there and quite a few of these 500 footers are going to be built, but some of these proposals are just that - proposals.

I don't see how you can compare Chicken Little and "the sky is falling" to unfeasable developments that aren't going to happen.

Some of you skyscrapper enthusiasts just need a "reality check" as many of those 500 footers you think that are going to be built by 2010 are either currently dead, not serious or are long term potential projects.
Mike in TO no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2006, 06:08 PM   #329
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 12191

Cheer down, Mike... cheer down!
Old February 19th, 2006, 07:26 AM   #330
neilio
lolwut

Likes (Received): 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in TO
Elliott - there are a lot of positive developments out there and quite a few of these 500 footers are going to be built, but some of these proposals are just that - proposals.

I don't see how you can compare Chicken Little and "the sky is falling" to unfeasable developments that aren't going to happen.

Some of you skyscrapper enthusiasts just need a "reality check" as many of those 500 footers you think that are going to be built by 2010 are either currently dead, not serious or are long term potential projects.
As much as i have to agree with you....im still going to be an over enthusiastic optemist
Old March 16th, 2006, 05:11 AM   #331
Jaye101
Midtown Fella

Likes (Received): 9

Talk about mood killer pessimism.
Jaye101 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2006, 09:15 AM   #332
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 12191

Oh yeah. A downer, big time.

Here are current pix of construction at the Art Gallery of Ontario:

Last edited by Taller, Better; March 16th, 2006 at 06:40 PM.
Taller, Better no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2006, 11:29 PM   #333
elliot

Likes (Received): 32

Every once in a while I get fed up with the "glass is half empty" mentality and resort to the "glass is at least half full" mantra because we
(skyscraper buffs) are so lucky to be living in a city with a skyline is undergoing such as radical transformation. And a picture is always worth a
1000 words, particularly to defuse arbitrary measuring sticks like "500 footers". This opportunistic "cut-off" point is often used in forum discussions/arguments
to minimize what is happening here because it
conveniently eliminates dozens of projects that fall just under the somewhat archaic notion that a tall building is a 500 footer... minimizing the remarkable
boom that is indeed underway.

Even members of the home team like to do this (see comments made earlier in the thread).

I happen to think that a 465.56 foot building looks just as tall when standing at grade as a 500 footer does... nevermind
the fact that we live in a metric country anyway. I also happen to believe that nearly 100% of the projects in the attached diagram that have not
begun construction, will begin within my optimistic time-line identified in the legend. I may be off a few months here and there and I am admittedly giving
some projects the benefit of the doubt (TrumpToronto insists TTT will stick to a 2006 start so I'll go with that), and inevitably one or two will fail... but
let's face it (as noted) there are projects like Cityplace that are virtually guaranteed to sell and build on schedule. It doesn't matter when Signature is
announced... it will sell out in no time. So have a glance at the diagram of "not quite 500 footers", along with the host of much taller than 500 foot
projects, that are being built/will be built in Toronto.

There are over 3 dozen of them and this is just downtown.
How's that for a "glass is at least half full" take on the 500 footer situation?

NOTE: I've tried use the original elevations when possible.
I've identified the tougher ones but you can guess the rest.

elliot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2006, 11:48 PM   #334
Skybean
天豆

Likes (Received): 271

Wow.
Old March 18th, 2006, 11:51 PM   #335
Febo
Soy Viejo, Deme!

Likes (Received): 1227

Wow! I didn't know that there are buildings under construticon taller than the Fisrt Canadian Place. Is the Saphire going to be constructed?
I love Toronto! Amazing city and the greatest skyline behind Chiacgo and New York!!
Old March 18th, 2006, 11:53 PM   #336
Jaye101
Midtown Fella

Likes (Received): 9

You are amazing... To everyone else... Remember to scroll...>>
Jaye101 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2006, 12:23 AM   #337
Skyman
LA Resident

Likes (Received): 1376

Elliot thanx for the nice construction rendering, now I can really picture the current construction situation in Toronto and it helps me to imagine the future Toronto skyline.
I see that there are many buildings which have the height above 700 feet and some gonna be finished soon, that's the good news for the city, especially amazing the Saphire tower, can't wait to see it in real
Skyman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2006, 06:26 AM   #338
Bertez

Likes (Received): 6

Some of the towers look better in black and white
Old March 19th, 2006, 07:45 PM   #339
neilio
lolwut

Likes (Received): 34

i really agree with what elliot said... I dont understand why so many people come on this forum talking non stop with the "glass is half empty" bullcrap and the pecimism? Are people really that threatened by Toronto and the boom its going through?!
Elliot, great diagram!
I see you have labeled a few towers, do you think you could do that for all the towers?
Old March 19th, 2006, 09:40 PM   #340
snoopy
kawaii neh?

Likes (Received): 6

elliot... you always make me happy. very happy. thank you.