daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 28th, 2005, 03:32 PM   #261
Effer
E Pluribus Unum

Likes (Received): 226

Quote:
Originally Posted by source26
If I were Japanese I would build the same tower with the circle that got changed...
It would be so funny

Its like china saying anything with a circle in the middle is now unacceptible..
I guess china is trying to send astronauts to the moon to change it from circle to square as well..
Effer no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 28th, 2005, 04:15 PM   #262
jacks

Likes (Received): 19

Well actually that's only the preliminaries. In the long term they're aiming to make Japan the land of the rising square.
jacks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2005, 07:49 PM   #263
deli

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
If I were Japanese I would build the same tower with the circle that got changed...
It would be so funny

Its like china saying anything with a circle in the middle is now unacceptible..
I guess china is trying to send astronauts to the moon to change it from circle to square as well..

If I were German I would build a swastika-like architecture in one of arabic country or one changed version in haifa...
It would be so funny (now you know how funny is your lame joke?)
deli no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2005, 07:58 PM   #264
crazyevildude

Likes (Received): 158

^ I'm not going to bother explaining why that is an idiotic post. Go read a history book, you'll find out for yourself.

Any new updates?
crazyevildude está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2005, 07:59 PM   #265
deli

Likes (Received): 0

"idiotic" as it is to respond to a "idiotic" post -- fair enough
deli no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2005, 09:36 PM   #266
Gravitas
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
It would be so funny

I've heard that some people want to stop Buddhists from using the "swastika." An even more stupid idea.
Gravitas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2005, 11:51 PM   #267
Zaki
Joi Bangla

Likes (Received): 4

Theres a huge difference between a swastika and a circle. A circle is a common shape we see everyday. A swastika isnt. And plus the japanese flag isnt the only one with a circle in the middle.
Zaki no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2005, 11:57 PM   #268
ch1le
always on

Likes (Received): 203

/\ Swastika isnt common anymore for a reason (DUH), but in reality is a purely innocent symbol!
ch1le no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2005, 01:49 AM   #269
Koi

Likes (Received): 3

Great.....the Japanese can now build a world tallest with a gigantic circular hole on top in Dubai, which will be ten times more impressive than SWFC !!
Koi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2005, 03:07 AM   #270
wardrobes
BANNED

This is shit now it was better be4.
wardrobes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2005, 03:24 AM   #271
lille

Quote:
Originally Posted by deli
If I were German I would build a swastika-like architecture in one of arabic country or one changed version in haifa...
It would be so funny (now you know how funny is your lame joke?)
I agree with you.

This is the trational swastika, which means PROPITIOUS and LUKY in Chinese culture and has been used in ancient building decoration for thousands years.

If a Chinese architect built a huge swastika-like architecture in Tel Aviv down town for a German company, and expatiated it only accoding to the Chinese way of thinking, would the people there take it as what he said? I think they could had their own undersdanding for that buiding.

I'm from China. I think most of friends here have understood the current situation of China in an opposite way. The true situation here is that: most of civilians have strong feelings against the affairs related to Japan, due to Japanese Government denies and transfigures its history of invasion and slaughtering, Beijing authority is doing its best to calm people and at the meantime, sticks up for Sino-Japan relation. But not like what lots of friends here have thought, the authority or communist party is abusing public opinion.

I'm a very ordinary people, not an expert in architecture. At the first sight of the original round hole design, I felt good. But I was disgusted with it as soon as I knew it was a Japan invested building. This is my ture feeling and it's the same to most friends around me.

To me, if the round one was built, if I had to be in Shanghai, and if the building could be seen every time when I raised my head, I would feel just like that I have to have meals at a table on which bowls of sh*t were placed!
lille no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2005, 03:30 AM   #272
CrazyCanuck
MOD SQUAD

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch1le
/\ Swastika isnt common anymore for a reason (DUH), but in reality is a purely innocent symbol!
Your right, before the Nazi's used it, it was a symbol of good luck. Anyways this building is moving up, I id like the circular hole but the square one is now growing on me.
CrazyCanuck no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2005, 04:23 AM   #273
Effer
E Pluribus Unum

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardrobes
This is shit now it was better be4.
You've got to be kidding me! Just because they changed the design a little bit doesn't make it shit!!!!!
Old October 29th, 2005, 04:31 AM   #274
fahed
Mr Anti

I say build the trapezoid one (like am the one who has the power to decide ). This way no one gets hurt and the building won’t be ruined.
Old October 29th, 2005, 05:57 AM   #275
jmancuso
make it so...

Likes (Received): 56

i like it and it looks like the chinese are going to build a bigger can opener than the saudis
jmancuso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2005, 07:09 AM   #276
Gravitas
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaki
Theres a huge difference between a swastika and a circle. A circle is a common shape we see everyday. A swastika isnt. And plus the japanese flag isnt the only one with a circle in the middle.
And the "swastika" has been a completely benign symbol for hundreds of years before Hitler. Be consistent at least. The only people making a political argument of the circle issue are flamers.

It's not even clear whether this is the reason for the change. This project was delayed before due to the financial concerns after the 1997 Asian Financial Crisis. There's the article that states it was changed to the "square" because it was less expensive. At least the people behind the building of the SWFC seem to be the only ones that are consistent here.
Gravitas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2005, 07:13 AM   #277
ChiLooper
Da Bears

Likes (Received): 3

Thumbs up
Old October 29th, 2005, 10:05 AM   #278
۩SkyScraper۩
ж

love this tower. and new updates this weekend!!
۩SkyScraper۩ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2005, 06:46 PM   #279
fahed
Mr Anti

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmancuso
i like it and it looks like the chinese are going to build a bigger can opener than the saudis
The "saudis" looks more like an undershirt than a can opener.
Old October 29th, 2005, 09:33 PM   #280
Effer
E Pluribus Unum

Any updates?