daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 23rd, 2005, 04:13 PM   #421
Ivalice.
When you feel the slip...

Likes (Received): 1

this post deserves a "Sticky" any general consensus?
Ivalice. no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 24th, 2005, 08:50 AM   #422
James Foong

Likes (Received): 5

Thursday, 24th November 2005:

Progress:
Core tube reaches level 16.
Floor girders on level 9.

James Foong no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2005, 08:57 AM   #423
James Foong

Shanghai expected to become world's third financial center

An official with the City of London said on Nov. 9 that its newly released ranking report on financial hubs around the world indicated Shanghai would hopefully become the third global financial center following London and New York.

This is reported by the International Finance News today.

The survey result announced by the City of London on Nov.8 also shows that London and New York have successfully strengthen its leading position over Frankfurt and Paris compared with the ranking in 2003 on the basis of the indicators evaluated by 400 experts.

Nobody responding to the survey thinks London or New York will face the risk of losing their ground as the world financial hubs in the next 10 years. However, the report has also pointed out that historical factors underlie and underpin the strength of the two cities so there is no reason for complacence as emerging imminent challenges are likely on the horizon.

Most interviewees believe that Shanghai would probably become the third global financial center in the coming years as China's economic power is growing day by day. It is widely thought that Tokyo has hardly any chance of restoring its significance as it enjoyed before due to its bureaucracy and weak supervision.

By People's Daily Online
Old November 24th, 2005, 09:29 AM   #424
zergcerebrates

Likes (Received): 62

Question. Why is the ground base circular? Any reason or is it just part of the design and nothing relating to structural?
zergcerebrates no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2005, 09:31 AM   #425
zergcerebrates

Likes (Received): 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey
^ In percentage terms there are actually quite a few economies that are growing faaster than China. Some economies are on course to grow by 20% or more this year wheras China is growing at ~9% pa. I also think the tower will be filled quickly because it's so prestigious but there are nonetheless a lot of empty office buildings in Shanghai. You can see them when you walk around - no lights on inside.
Well your statement is true but in a way sometimes buildings in China don't turn their lights on at night because of power shortage.
zergcerebrates no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2005, 10:35 AM   #426
Stephan23
Bonsai

Likes (Received): 93

Great shots. I love this time. Hope some new supertalls a approved soon!!!!!!!!!!!
Old November 24th, 2005, 10:55 AM   #427
Gerard
registered muse

Likes (Received): 712

Great to see the stealworks coming on. Now it is really coming up. It is going fast so keep the updates coming. Thanks.
Gerard no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2005, 11:00 AM   #428
scorpion
...starwood... :-D

Likes (Received): 4

Jamesfoong: why the political SPAM from some bully-propaganda-puppet in this glorious thread??

BAN JamesFoong!!!
scorpion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2005, 11:03 AM   #429
Gerard
registered muse

Likes (Received): 712

don't get all upset about that. If you post pictures like that you can also speak with pride about your city. You probably do the same about your home town and nobody is asking for banning you.
Gerard no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2005, 11:27 AM   #430
coth
pride leader

Likes (Received): 6827

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpion
Jamesfoong: why the political SPAM from some bully-propaganda-puppet in this glorious thread??

BAN JamesFoong!!!
Old November 24th, 2005, 07:30 PM   #431
James Foong

Quote:
Originally Posted by zergcerebrates
Question. Why is the ground base circular? Any reason or is it just part of the design and nothing relating to structural?
It is very much related to structural planning. A circular retaining wall would stand laterally against soil pressure better than a rectangle wall shape. The concept is like building a tunnel, which comes in tube shape. By doing this, the whole wall will be in compression, hence producing a tight compressive structure.
Old November 24th, 2005, 07:38 PM   #432
Jue
Perception

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by zergcerebrates
The above-ground portion is circular for stylistic purposes only. Some buildings have circular retaining walls and a square base, but that is by choice.
Jue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2005, 07:43 PM   #433
James Foong

Quote:

BAN JamesFoong!!!
If somebody handed you a gun, I m afraid u ll shoot aimlessly and waste yr bullets. It would be extremely helpful if you relate me how my posting here could manipulate the viewer minds? In fact, propaganda is a wrong word to judge my intention. Perhaps, you shld argue that govt. propaganda influenced the design change, and we could discuss on that, but I think this discussion will bored the forumers to death.

Glorious thread?
For your understanding, I don’t belong to the city or the country itself. I m thousands miles away from a tropical country. I m here to do my small part to post pics obtaining from another Chinese forum. I would be very glad if anyone especially the local shanghainese could keep this site updated. Unfortunately, the locals spend more time on chinese forum where the SWFC issues r more actively discussed.

Scorpion, comments and criticism are welcomed. Speak up maturely and give constructive reasoning so that yr claims can be validated and deal with positive discussion. R u aware blind accuse is a serious offence? If you fail to elaborate, i shld regarded you as the worst drunker in this forum.
Old November 24th, 2005, 07:51 PM   #434
scorpion

James, no offense, but i stand by my post. this thread is under Construction folder and not in China's sub-section or even city discussions, etc. i know i'm being a bit of a stickler here, but i've become more sensitive to thread hijackings lately...

and for the record, of course you don't belong to city/country, but why does that even matter in this case?

James, ease off on the comments and criticism lecture, thanks. i'm neither a drunkard nor a loose cannon round here as all would attest. and do lay off on the heavy-handed reasoning, what's your point exactly? especially given your post in question???
Old November 24th, 2005, 08:02 PM   #435
James Foong

Scorpion, you had misinterpret my intention. I m neither to hijack or provoke something here by my postings. I m posting pics and news related to swfc development. Of course i understand this is a construction thread, and did u see me post chatting message like other thread which is full of nonsense chats? I think u r extremely unfair to me, and you shld check out other threads which are deserved to get your attention if you dare enough.

Btw, if u r aware of my advice, how could you talk like knew nothing in the first. Check out the whole thread and u ll understand tht u hv been extremely wrong.
Old November 24th, 2005, 09:42 PM   #436
scorpion

thnx for the explanation James.
my over-reaction, obviously.
apologies for the sensitivities~~

best
Old November 25th, 2005, 04:15 AM   #437
BANNED

Likes (Received): 9

Source: xitek.com
Can you see SWFC from the Bund?
10025 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2005, 04:39 AM   #438
*UofT*

Likes (Received): 18

OMG OMG THERE IT IS!!
*UofT* no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2005, 05:01 AM   #439
James Foong

Quote:
thnx for the explanation James.
my over-reaction, obviously.
apologies for the sensitivities~~

best
Thanks. I appreciate you for not acting by ignorant and prejudice.
Old November 25th, 2005, 08:43 AM   #440
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 611

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Foong
Progress:
Core tube reaches level 16.
Floor girders on level 9.

I love the way buildings and skylines look in the haze. It's like the thing is so massive that even the weather can affect it, like the weather affects the view of a massive mountain.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote