daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 10th, 2005, 09:12 PM   #61
Effer
E Pluribus Unum

Likes (Received): 226

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcanadian
http://www.skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?b7609

Look at the third one. What is that?
Some of those renderings are HORRIBLE!
Effer no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 10th, 2005, 09:15 PM   #62
Effer
E Pluribus Unum

WE SERIOUSLY NEED A UPDATE!
Old October 10th, 2005, 10:07 PM   #63
michal1982
Condom User

Likes (Received): 1

i agree
michal1982 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2005, 01:33 AM   #64
spicytimothy
...::HK.:.:.:.LA::...

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by superchan7
spicytimothy, you think the private Japanese developer paid off Fox architects to make such a design? I'm sure the educated Japanese developers know at least some of what happened in WWII, or do you think they still want to preach Japanese superiority in Asia? I somehow can't imagine that...what do you think?
I would put it as "paid off"... because from what I learned here they funded the whole construction project... telling what the architect they wanted as clients in nothing unusual.

Secondly, as much as we don't want to believe, over 95% of Japanese who were born after the war, has no idea what their country did. I've watched so many different shows where they interview young people, and I've read countless studies in Japan, and they confirm that and overwhelming majority of Japanese have never heard of Rape of Nanjing, and none of them knows about the brutality of the Japanese troops. More interestingly, very few soldiers have admitted that they did anything inhumane.

(Case in point, 2 soldiers were documented by a Japanese newspaper during WWII for competing who kills more Chinese. The newspaper had a day-to-day count of the number of Chinese heads they decapitated... Earlier this year the 2 families sued the newspaper and claim that they created the whole story decades ago out of thin air... obviously they lost becuase the newspaper company produced many proofs, including photographs and reporter journals... This is a perfect example of the extreme ignorance and misinformation the Japanese youth is subjected to.)

They know they went to war, and they know a lotta of them died. They know they were bombed twice by nuclear weapons, but that's all they know. To them they were doing Asia a favor and they were more victims than aggressors...

P.S. Of course, this is a generalization of the Japanese public. No doubt there are many others who know exactly what happened and are in no denial of it. What is alarming is the trend towards indifference, ignorance, and negligence, esp on the part of the gov't.
spicytimothy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2005, 01:43 AM   #65
spicytimothy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKing

How is it a military fair tactics to starve prisoners, take their bodyparts as souvenirs, dont let them surrender, throw em out of airplanes and then reporting "they commited suicide". Thats not tactics. That built on hate more or less. Just as america was disliked by many japanese, mainly japanese students which had heard how bad asians where threated in America. Japans was also more or less hated by a lot of americans, it was a lot of antijapanese propaganda to for example in american newspapers. In a vote during the WW2 a majority of the voters thought america should bomb Japan to the ground.'
Once again, Aking, what is prominent in this comparison is that one thing is done against soldiers who went into war knowing that they might die, against the other which is done on innocent civilians who had no defense. I'm not saying what was quoted isn't terrible. What the Americans did there IS EXTREMELY HORRIFIC. But what I was saying is that it's just illogical to compare what the Japanese widely did the hundreds of thousands of civilians to what, in this case, Americans did to a couple hundred, at most thousand, of Japanese soldiers...

It's not a case of dislike, because when you are in a war, it's a given that you hate the opposite side. What you need to distinguish, however, is that the hatred of Japanese on the side of the Americans or Chinese is created because what the Japanese started. Afterall they did made the first move to attack Pearl Harbor. Even without propaganda I HIGHLY DOUBT that the Americans wouldn't hate the Japanese for sneak attacking them.

Quote:
Sad that NF refused japans proposal that all countries and people should be treated equally (Brittain was strongly against it)(by the time, Japan also had unfair trading policies forced on them). Which contributed for Japan leaving NF, and later making it able for the military to take more and more important positions in Japan.
No idea what NF is...??
Old October 11th, 2005, 01:49 AM   #66
spicytimothy

O for those who're still wondering, the poster I mentioned earlier is on the first page. It's written in Japanese Kanji, and on the lower right corner you can see it says Mori Corp. with the address and website :-)

And for those who are wondering what's Mori is one of the biggest real estate company in Japan. They're the one who redevelopment Roppongi and built the Roppongi Hills complex that included the 50+ storey Mori Tower.
Old October 11th, 2005, 01:52 AM   #67
Ashram

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by effer
Some of those renderings are HORRIBLE!

They are not official renderings, they are home made diagrams. If you can do better, then do so. Not trying to be mean though, just defending the diagrams.

Anyway, the third pic is a side view. It bulges like that on the side view, and is rarely shown from this angle in most official renderings.

Last edited by Ashram; October 11th, 2005 at 02:29 AM.
Ashram no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2005, 10:19 AM   #68
Sonic from Padova
Николай

Likes (Received): 85

any update? can someone post some pics? thanks!
Sonic from Padova no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2005, 04:06 PM   #69
Alle

Likes (Received): 9

"Even without propaganda I HIGHLY DOUBT that the Americans wouldn't hate the Japanese for sneak attacking them. "

Actually they sent a war daclaration, but it wasn't translated in time. And after that USA had cut Japans importing, treated them unfair and the expansive military took power in Japan. Sadly the war was unavoidable, more or less by that time.

"No idea what NF is...??"

Sorry NF is in Swedish, in english it was the union of nations. The equivallence to UN after war.

Castles And Fortresses [Alpe Adria] [Bosnia]
Alle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2005, 06:09 PM   #70
raymond_tung88

Likes (Received): 14

Okay to put this thread back on topic, I didn't bother reading the posts after that rendering with the "square" hole. I just want to know is that what they're ACTUALLY going to build or just some stupid rendering someone did to show something.

Personally, I would prefer the hole to be circular but i don't really care if they cover up the opening under the bridge.
raymond_tung88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2005, 06:38 PM   #71
Taipei Walker
心在臺灣

Likes (Received): 1181

Here is xitek forum, there is update from october 9

http://forum.xitek.com/showthread.php?threadid=221857

Last edited by Taipei Walker; October 11th, 2005 at 06:47 PM.
Taipei Walker no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2005, 11:44 PM   #72
Effer
E Pluribus Unum

Most pics do not even come up on that site!
Old October 12th, 2005, 11:59 AM   #73
Nightsky
Illustrator

Likes (Received): 3706

So they have definately decided to design a square instead of a whole now? I see the design in the diagram was change. I think the hole is more beautiful, but after a while I think I could get used to the square instead. Anyway it gives me an opportunity to make a new drawing of the building.

Website about my travels and buildings in USA and Europe -many cool pics:
http://www.worldtravelimages.net

All my diagram drawings - more than 700!:
http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?14670510
Nightsky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2005, 03:14 PM   #74
John
No analogues

Likes (Received): 4

So is there any OFFICIAL info or news regarding the design change? I'm a little confused .
John no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2005, 05:27 PM   #75
Jue
Perception

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by John
So is there any OFFICIAL info or news regarding the design change? I'm a little confused .
Haven't seen any, but roadside posters now feature the square hole.
Jue no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2005, 05:44 PM   #76
Nightsky
Illustrator

Likes (Received): 3706

Emporis still use the circle design.

Website about my travels and buildings in USA and Europe -many cool pics:
http://www.worldtravelimages.net

All my diagram drawings - more than 700!:
http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?14670510
Nightsky no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2005, 06:10 PM   #77
tritown

Likes (Received): 5

Does anybody have any actual construction pictures? Watching the progress is more exciting than observing debate about a hole.
tritown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2005, 07:08 PM   #78
Monkey
BANNED

Likes (Received): 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jue
Haven't seen any, but roadside posters now feature the square hole.
That's depressing news. Can you take a photo?
Monkey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2005, 07:19 PM   #79
crazyevildude

Likes (Received): 158

It is still a nice design. I think if it was the square hole from the start people still would have thought it was a great building. It's just that the circle design was so good, it was one of the best sky scrapers being built. It feels like we've been robbed of something beautiful . Oh well.
crazyevildude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2005, 01:00 AM   #80
raymond_tung88

Likes (Received): 14

To be honest with you, I kinda prefer the square hole over the partially covered circle one. I'm sure with time, many people will come to like it/ accept it.

Anyways, regardless, this highly-anticipated building will still be one of the world's greatest? What other building can claim to have a square hole at the top?
raymond_tung88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote