daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: So??
Asphalt 92 80.70%
Concrete 22 19.30%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 5th, 2008, 10:01 PM   #361
Mateusz

Likes (Received): 235

No it doesn't It has status of Voivodship Road. In road hierarchy first is motorway (A) then expressway (S), then National Road (DK), then Voivodship Road (DW). And only motorways and expressways have prefixes on signs, A and S respectively
Mateusz no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 6th, 2008, 02:00 AM   #362
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3437

how old are those pics from Germany? i think they are at least 10 years old (look at the cars), so there is possibility that those crappy signs are removed
x-type no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2008, 02:02 AM   #363
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Is a motorway the same thing as a freeway or tollway? We never use the term motorway in the United States.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2008, 02:31 AM   #364
Mateusz

No, Motorway is a highway, freeway is or can be dual carriageway, Motorway can be toll, or expressway can be toll also.
Old January 6th, 2008, 02:35 AM   #365
wyqtor
Coexist

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frits_NL View Post
Pictures from Germany (1993):
Is the signage from the first 4 pictures the original from the DDR? I was recently wondering what it looked like.
wyqtor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2008, 02:46 AM   #366
TheCat
IsraCanadian :)

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM 2258 View Post
Is a motorway the same thing as a freeway or tollway? We never use the term motorway in the United States.
hehe this has been discussed quite often here. I'd say "freeway" would be the most common US term (note that freeway does not mean toll-free).
Old January 6th, 2008, 04:00 AM   #367
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCat View Post
hehe this has been discussed quite often here. I'd say "freeway" would be the most common US term (note that freeway does not mean toll-free).
A motorway in Europe is the equivalent of a freeway/tollway in the USA.

BTW, NOBODY, but NOBODY would be caught dead referring to a toll highway as a 'freeway' here in the upper midwest USA. Here they are tollways.

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2008, 04:04 AM   #368
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyqtor View Post
Is the signage from the first 4 pictures the original from the DDR? I was recently wondering what it looked like.
From what I understand, driving around in former East Germany in the first part of the 1990s was indeed a 'drive into the past', as the Commies never really maintained the highways that they took over at the end of WWII. Commerce was just never a priority of theirs. Germany is STILL bringing WWII-era autobahns up to standard, too, nearly 20 years later.

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2008, 01:41 PM   #369
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19362

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
how old are those pics from Germany? i think they are at least 10 years old (look at the cars), so there is possibility that those crappy signs are removed
15 years old, and i haven´t seen such signs there a few years ago.

Motorway = Freeway/Expressway

Freeway means more likely free-flow than free of charge.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2008, 12:35 AM   #370
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

That's true, but as mgk920 said, even this varies around the world. I'd call everything just Autobahn.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2008, 01:34 AM   #371
Patrick
✪ DWF ✪ Alaaf! ✪

Likes (Received): 888

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-type View Post
the first 4 pics should be old DDR signs, they look similar to those pics i found and posted in the historical-thread.

the newer signs on the other pics are not better. two destinations in one line (Dresden Cottbus / Magdeburg Leipzig), buttugly and not so good to read. and arrows under the text for driving forward but arrow on the left side for the exit sign on the same signbridge

btw: Dreieck Spreeau nowadays looks like this (pictures from www.rippachtal.de)

Last edited by Patrick; January 8th, 2008 at 01:58 AM.
Patrick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2008, 11:48 AM   #372
Mateusz

Now this autobahn looks way better
Old January 8th, 2008, 02:45 PM   #373
wyqtor
Coexist

Likes (Received): 2

Definitely better . What bugs me, though, is the fact that they didn't extend the shoulder to a decent width in some places. I would be a bit worried if my car broke down in those sections.
wyqtor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2008, 03:41 PM   #374
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19362

That's also a problem in Spain, i saw a lot of Autovía's with just 1,5 - 2m wide shoulders.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2008, 04:57 PM   #375
Mateusz

Section of A4. near old West Germany/East Germany border in Eisenach looks like that, the good thing is they are renovating it I wish it to be like A4 near Dresden , Jena , Chemnitz. Pretty concrete, 3 lanes autobahn
Old April 2nd, 2008, 03:43 AM   #376
aussiescraperman

Likes (Received): 8

Black Pavement Vs. White Pavement

Can someone fill me in on the difference in colour of tar? How come some countries freeways are white, while others are black. I prefer white, but most around Melbourne are tacky black, while up north around gold coast some are white.

Even on normal roads, what is the difference between the two?
Old April 2nd, 2008, 04:13 AM   #377
Gil

Likes (Received): 38

I'm not sure if I'm understanding the question right, but from the sound of it you're describing roads paved with asphalt (black) and cement (white). The two have their strengths and weaknesses. I'm no civil engineer, so I'll let someone else weigh in on the differences between the two.
Gil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2008, 05:41 AM   #378
Fern

Likes (Received): 1938

This is a bit biased as it was published by the The Concrete Paving Association of Minnesota, but here's one side of the argument:

Concrete costs less in the long run

Federally funded studies show that concrete Interstate pavements cost 13-28% less in the long run than asphalt Interstate pavements.

Recent U of M studies in Olmsted and Waseca counties show that the use of concrete pavement saved up to 19% in the long run over the cost of using and maintaining similar asphalt roads.

The same studies shows that maintenance costs were reduced 75% when concrete was used to pave roads in these counties.

Advancements in concrete technology have reduced the cost of concrete paving while improving performance greatly; advancements in asphalt technology (so-called "SuperPave" mixtures) have increased paving costs significantly (even before considering skyrocketing oil prices) with only modest increases in performance.

Concrete lasts longer with less need for maintenance and repair

No potholes - so concrete pavements stay smoother longer.

No ruts form to fill with water and cause wet weather accidents. Fewer traffic interruptions for repair and maintenance.

Mn/DOT reports that the average life expectancy of their concrete pavements is 27.5 years before repair while asphalt pavements have an average life expectancy of only 15.5 years before repair

Federally funded studies show that concrete Interstate highways around the U.S. last about 2.5 times longer on average than asphalt Interstate highways.

New Minnesota concrete pavement designs are expected to last for 60+ years with minimal maintenance.

Concrete costs less for users, too

Heavy trucks get up to 20% better mileage on concrete.

Better long-term performance means fewer interruptions and lower user costs.

Concrete roads are not subject to spring load restrictions that increase the number of truck trips or driving distances.

Concrete is quiet!

After years of testing and research, Mn/DOT has adopted concrete paving designs and techniques that make concrete roads as quiet as most asphalt roads, while maintaining superior skid resistance.

Concrete is safer

Concrete provides better and longer lasting skid resistance.

No rutting or potholes to cause loss of vehicle control.

Concrete offers better visibility on rainy nights.

Concrete is generally less slippery in wet weather.

Concrete is environmentally friendly

Concrete is completely recyclable.

Concrete doesn't release odorous petroleum products into the air.

Concrete conserves oil, which is used to produce asphalt pavements.

Replacing asphalt pavements with concrete can help to lower summertime temperatures.

Concrete reflects sunlight instead of absorbing it.

The "heat island" effect seen in large cities has been attributed, in part, to the use of asphalt pavements.

Concrete is aesthetically pleasing

Concrete pavements have a clean appearance and brighten neighborhoods, both day and night!

Concrete can be colored and textured to produce attractive designs and patterns
Old April 2nd, 2008, 07:22 AM   #379
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1818

Concrete IS slippery, especially during winter when it's snowing.
Concrete is no way quiet. The most quiet road cover material is phorous asphalt (or smth). Even regular asphalt is more quiet, because it doesn't have that tack-tack-tack noise.
Asphalt is also recyclable. You can use old asphalt to cover dirt roads.
I don't agree that concrete is visually more pleasant. Road markings are white so from light concrete it's uncomfortable to see them.
Besides, when an asphalt road can be repaired easily and quickly, a concrete road has to be shut down for days, even weeks.
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2008, 07:53 AM   #380
aussiescraperman

Likes (Received): 8

except i'm sure we have white asphalt in some places in Australia..what is that?