daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: So??
Asphalt 92 80.70%
Concrete 22 19.30%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 10th, 2005, 05:59 AM   #21
czm3
Automobile lover

Likes (Received): 147

Concrete all the way!

If well maintained, it provides more traction than asphalt. This is especially true if it is raining or snowing. Oils seep out of the asphalt and add to the problem. Ironically because of its incredible smoothness, the traction is worse. Many asphalt race tracks have added concrete strips to the most abused spots (near the apexes) to add traction and improve longevity.

Mondern concrete roads are no longer made with all those expanion joints, so the roughness that every one is complaining about is more related to older roads that could use some work. They are louder however making them less desireble in residential areas.
czm3 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 10th, 2005, 08:06 AM   #22
Facial
Seeking truth from facts

Likes (Received): 10

We don't have that problem here in Los Angeles.

Most of the freeways around here are concrete. It is noisy and annoying to hear.

A few stretches are asphalt, and everytime I hear something on the order of a mute button, then I don't even have to look to see that it's asphalt.

Asphalt.
Facial no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2005, 09:08 AM   #23
OettingerCroat
Disenfranchised

Likes (Received): 22

funny.... all of the americans that are ALWAYS at odds with the europeans vote for concrete, bc the saddening US freeways are all concrete.

these guys will do ANYTHING not to agree with these european/canadian "fereigners."

you love the sound it makes.... *blump blump blump blump blump blump for an hour* yah what a conclusive arguement.

"I PICK CONCRETE BC IT SOUNDS COOLER!" sheesh...

i appreciate guys like czm3, who point out ACTUAL deficiencies in asphalt, thank you for being objective czm3

anyways i pick asphalt...
OettingerCroat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2005, 02:16 PM   #24
NerveAgent

Likes (Received): 55

Pretty much every road in the Uk is asphalt (we call in tarmac for some reason, think its a brand name) its so much nicer to drive on especially when it's a new road surface. There's only one concrete dual carriageway near me but I hate driving on it, it sounds like your on an old train!
NerveAgent no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2005, 05:04 PM   #25
Azazel
----

Likes (Received): 0

Asphalt - but it's not that simple - asphalt comes in differing qualities.

Here we have these ANCIENT asphalt highways that have little to no damage at all, we have those brand new, 'ever dry' asphalt highways, and we have those crappy late 80s highways that are goddamn terrible, with cracks everywhere.

The latest modifications, polymer, and glass recycled ones are the coolest imo.
Azazel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2005, 05:13 PM   #26
gronier
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

Just imagine how it feels to drive on a highway like this ones????

Could you explain me why a state like California, the richest in the country and with one of the higher motorization levels of the world has highways in such a crappy condition, and with such a big urban impact, dividing the cities, and making them feel like pedestrian nightmares.
I would love to see highways like the ones in the Netherlands, France or Spain in California.
gronier no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2005, 06:49 PM   #27
Bertez

Likes (Received): 6

That looks incredible
Bertez no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2005, 12:27 PM   #28
Azazel
----

Likes (Received): 0

man, this looks good enough to eat from.
Azazel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2005, 11:11 PM   #29
sonysnob

Likes (Received): 860

Quote:
Originally Posted by OettingerCroat
funny.... all of the americans that are ALWAYS at odds with the europeans vote for concrete, bc the saddening US freeways are all concrete.

these guys will do ANYTHING not to agree with these european/canadian "fereigners."

you love the sound it makes.... *blump blump blump blump blump blump for an hour* yah what a conclusive arguement.

i appreciate guys like czm3, who point out ACTUAL deficiencies in asphalt, thank you for being objective czm3

You might want to re-read some of the posts. I am the only one who wrote about liking the sound of concrete, and I am a CANADIAN, not an American.

Sure, it might seem trivial to like the sound of driving on concrete, but its just as trivial as not liking it. If concrete highways are well constructed, they can be impecably smooth and a real pleasure to drive. Sure, asphalt is very nice too, but people must consider that not all concrete highways are bone rattlers.

Cheers.
sonysnob está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2005, 11:46 PM   #30
magestom

Likes (Received): 17

What does Japan make its roads out of. They are really good. Even if it is asphalt, it looks different than in other countries. All the roads seem new. I heard they use some plastic technology too.
magestom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2005, 04:09 AM   #31
coldstar
Tears of Buddha

Quote:
Originally Posted by magestom
What does Japan make its roads out of. They are really good. Even if it is asphalt, it looks different than in other countries. All the roads seem new. I heard they use some plastic technology too.
Nowadays, the highways in Japan adopt 'new multi-functional pavement' (special leachy drainage asphaltic compunder). It has the effect of reducing the road noise and saving the impact on the environment.

left:old fashioned asphalt,
right: new multi-functional asphalt, (easy to get dry!)
Old October 13th, 2005, 04:32 AM   #32
jeicow

Likes (Received): 2

I prefer driving on asphalt because it's smoother, but I hate how it gets replaced more often. I voted concrete though b/c even though it isn't the smoothest of rides, at least replacing doesn't happen every 5 years which results in horibblt slow traffic.
jeicow no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2005, 04:37 AM   #33
OettingerCroat
Disenfranchised

Likes (Received): 22

wow, does the military use these highways you speak of? are 60-ton tanks zoomin down the motorway at 80 km/h? how could an asphalt road turn into such deplorable condition in only 5 years that it has to be repaved?
OettingerCroat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2005, 05:12 AM   #34
coldstar
Tears of Buddha

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeicow
I prefer driving on asphalt because it's smoother, but I hate how it gets replaced more often. I voted concrete though b/c even though it isn't the smoothest of rides, at least replacing doesn't happen every 5 years which results in horibblt slow traffic.
concrete lasts for (at least) twice as long as asphalt. But the repair work of concrete takes by far longer time than asphalt, and costs a great deal. (good and bad points)

Last edited by coldstar; October 17th, 2005 at 05:31 PM.
coldstar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2005, 10:17 PM   #35
CborG
Rick Bakker

Likes (Received): 371

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldstar
Nowadays, the highways in Japan adopt 'new multi-functional pavement' (special leachy drainage asphaltic compunder). It has the effect of reducing the road noise and saving the impact on the environment.

left:old fashioned asphalt,
right: new multi-functional asphalt, (easy to get dry!)

Old stuff, here in Holland for over a decade or so, it is called ZOAB Zeer Open Asfalt Beton or very open asphalt concrete.

We also have very silent open asphalt concrete which absorps the noise made by cartyres.
Old October 13th, 2005, 11:19 PM   #36
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by OettingerCroat

Heh, it's not an American thing, I just love freeways and roads with concrete better. Actually I've noticed in Houston and Dallas they are using concrete on not just freeways but streets and I love the feel and sound of concrete.

Also I think it's better for the rain since it has those groves that make the lovely noise concrete freeways make.

Even as a kid I've loved concrete freeways but at the time I wasn't sure why some highways made the noise and feel and others didn't and now as a driver I love it even more.

What I hate about asphalt is those roads that seem to have an ultra smooth worn down surface and when it rains I feel like the car's going to slip right off the road.

I also have to add that I LOVE when they pave a road with the very coarse, almost gravel like asphalt because that's such a great sound too.

So it's all about the concrete whistle "whooooooo, clunk, clunk, whooooooo, clunk, clunk, whooooooo"

and the coarse asphalt "grrrrrrrrrrrgrumblegrumblegrrrrrrrrrrrrgrumblegrumblegrrrrrrrrr"

.........ok I'm weird.

I have to add that I was on Interstate 10 in Lousiana once and they paveed it with concrete that had lots of cracks so I was in heaven listening to a very faint "whoooooooooo" mixed in with a constant "clack, clack, clack, clack, clack...."
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2005, 03:49 AM   #37
coldstar
Tears of Buddha

Quote:
Originally Posted by CborG
Old stuff, here in Holland for over a decade or so, it is called ZOAB Zeer Open Asfalt Beton or very open asphalt concrete.

We also have very silent open asphalt concrete which absorps the noise made by cartyres.

Japan also has used 'open asphalt' for more than a decade in the whole country.
There're many kinds of 'open asphalts' as you know,
In Japan, drainagae open asphalt has been used mainlly for highways, and permeable open asphalt for pedestrian ways.
Old October 14th, 2005, 12:11 PM   #38
CborG
Rick Bakker

Likes (Received): 371

In any form, it is superb! Much safer during rain.
Old October 15th, 2005, 12:29 AM   #39
Minato ku

in france
a site with french autoroute picture (in french)

http://franceautoroutes.free.fr/accueil.php
Old October 16th, 2005, 01:52 PM   #40
Skoulikimou
Brief State of Euphoria

Likes (Received): 19

im sorry guys but i have to go with concrete,just dont know why ?

well maybe because concrete is more durable,

Bertrand Russell (1872 - 1970)
Skoulikimou no está en línea   Reply With Quote