daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: So??
Asphalt 92 80.70%
Concrete 22 19.30%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 18th, 2007, 11:32 AM   #101
rick1016

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by FM 2258 View Post
I love straight up grooved concrete that whistles. I think it's the best road surface for any weather condition and that light whistling sound with clacking sounds every few hundred feet lets you know you're on a real highway.

Asphalt is just awful. It cracks all the time and feels super slick in the rain. Why not just use all concrete? It lasts for years and feels best on the tires.
I know the sound your talking about, it's great.
rick1016 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 18th, 2007, 01:55 PM   #102
RawLee

Likes (Received): 1083

Our old M7 was built using concrete blocks,similar in old commieblocks. the whole route was like tak-tak-tak-tak-tak-tak. Now it is asphalt,and much better. I think concrete,if not built properly, can damage the suspension,because the bumping,while it is hard to go wrong with asphalt.
RawLee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2007, 02:06 PM   #103
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19362

Some older German and Polish Motorways used to have very bad concrete surface, with the concrete plates some 5cm or 2 inches apart. You could have really messed up your suspension. Nowadays, in Poland all of these roads have been replaced, but i thought Germany still has one (A11).
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2007, 05:59 PM   #104
rilham2new
Obsolete User

Likes (Received): 1422

Asphalt is the best
It is a lot more comfortable
Old August 19th, 2007, 03:43 PM   #105
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallaroo View Post
Makes a lot of sense. So why dont they build them anymore here in Europe?

How much faster is it to build a new expressway in concrete instead of asphalt?
Construction of concrete pavement takes a lot more time and it also costs a lot more (around 20-30% more for flat expressway). So it is up to highway authorities what do they want and how much will they spend.

There is also a problem, if concrete pavemenet cracks somewhere. Repairing is much more complicated and expensive and takes much more time. Repairing asphalt pavement is a matter of days, for concrete a matter of months.
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2007, 06:58 PM   #106
ElviS77

Likes (Received): 54

The Norwegian experience with concrete roads is almost exclusively bad: In a country with winters, the concrete cracks, and it is really slippery in wet conditions. Bad on multilane motorways, outright dangerous on 2-/3-lane expressways.
ElviS77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2007, 07:11 PM   #107
Troopchina

Likes (Received): 2374

Asphalt looks so much better. When I was younger it always made me curious how such a rich country like the USA has so poor looking expressways
Troopchina no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2007, 10:51 PM   #108
keber

Maybe asphalt looks better. But quality of new German concrete autobahns is in my opinion far superior to asphalt autobahns, even new ones (try driving renovated autobahn from Berlin to Nüremberg) No tak-tak-tak-tak sound, no bumps or humps, smooth as you were hovering over autobahn and not driving. But it is expensive and good only in moderate climate and appropriate local geology.
Old August 20th, 2007, 10:53 PM   #109
ChrisZwolle
Road user

What kind of pavement do they use? SMA?
Old August 20th, 2007, 11:24 PM   #110
keber

As I said, concrete (or you didn't mean me?). Berlin - Leipzig stretch is probably the smoothest road surface I've seen so far. However I've driven by construction site of that motorway (A9, converting from 2+2 to 3+3). Construction lasts few years (when looking at info signs), as I know, concrete stays without load one year, and equipement for laying concrete looked very very sophisticated. And it is expensive, you bet.
Old August 21st, 2007, 01:57 AM   #111
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19123

Of course concrete is more expensive. But it last for longer (up to 30 years) with much less maintenance than asphalt.
So average cost per year (important for highway agencies) is the same or lower.
Asphalt would have to be redone twice probably during concrete motorway lifespan.
geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2007, 03:59 AM   #112
miamicanes

Likes (Received): 181

What's it called when a road is built with concrete, but has a few inches of asphalt dumped on top of it, scraped away, and re-applied every few years? That seems to be the norm in Florida. I think FDOT even has machines that automatically chew up the old pavement, inject new tar into it, and spit it back out behind the machine. After 11pm on weekends, it seems like there's almost always a freeway somewhere in Miami or Fort Lauderdale that's having one or two of its lanes resurfaced (it REALLY sucks when they're resurfacing the middle lane, because then the road gets crunched down to just two or three lanes on one side of the lane being resurfaced, and traffic backs up for literally 5-7 miles at 2am).

I believe that FDOT's preference for asphalt-on-concrete is due to asphalt being less slippery when it rains heavily for the first time after a few weeks of dry weather. I think the dripped oil from hundreds of thousands of cars per day gets absorbed into the asphalt, but would just form oil slicks on raw concrete.
miamicanes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2007, 04:25 AM   #113
DRQ_QF
adicto al bw y sc4

Likes (Received): 0

because of earth tremors (about 3000 per day) and earthquakes (1 every 10 years aprox.), in Chile we prefer asphalt, it's more flexible. the concrete of our streets must be 'cutted' in squares, so it can break along these lines and not everywhere.

U
DRQ_QF no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2007, 07:35 PM   #114
Petirojo pardiazulon
XD

Likes (Received): 1

Asphalt for the car
And concrete for the truck
Four-lane highway, three for cars and one for truck..
Petirojo pardiazulon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2007, 07:36 PM   #115
ChrisZwolle
Road user

In my hometown, Zwolle, a new 2x2 road is being constructed. They use SMA (StoneMasticAsphalt) as pavement, it has much more durability as PAC, SMA lasts 15 - 20 years under heavy truck use.
Old August 21st, 2007, 07:42 PM   #116
Petirojo pardiazulon
XD

Likes (Received): 1

StoneMasticAsphalt is more expensive that asphalt or concrete?.
Petirojo pardiazulon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2007, 08:23 PM   #117
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I'm not sure. I think it's cheaper as PAC. But it has the advantages of PAC and the durability of concrete.
Old August 22nd, 2007, 12:37 PM   #118
ZeTaCy

Likes (Received): 15

Asphalt has gone through a lot of research the last few decades so i think it will get the advantages concrete has and maybe even get better than concrete in the long run.

I prefer asphalt because of the crappy weather we have in The Netherlands.
Old August 22nd, 2007, 06:16 PM   #119
radi6404

Likes (Received): 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by keber View Post
Maybe asphalt looks better. But quality of new German concrete autobahns is in my opinion far superior to asphalt autobahns, even new ones (try driving renovated autobahn from Berlin to Nüremberg) No tak-tak-tak-tak sound, no bumps or humps, smooth as you were hovering over autobahn and not driving. But it is expensive and good only in moderate climate and appropriate local geology.
Concrete looks ******* ugly and is a exremly hard and exremly noisy ride, why is i a problem for you that aspahtl doesn´t last as long, don´t you think counries like Germany have enough money for adding new asphalt on their motoreways every 10 years. I drove on a asphalt motorway in Austria and it was exremly smoothly and noiseless,k than we entered the concrete motroway to vienna and it was very noisy and extremly rough, i felt like i would travel with metal tires, no joke.
radi6404 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2007, 11:59 PM   #120
keber

It doesn't matter how it looks. It matters how it functions!

And new concrete autobahns both in Germany and Austria look and function splendid. What could be better than this?

(taken from http://www.autobahn-bilder.de)