daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: So??
Asphalt 92 80.70%
Concrete 22 19.30%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 23rd, 2007, 04:24 AM   #121
-KwK345-
My user title is the bomb

Likes (Received): 2

I didn't know that Indonesians drive on the left side of the road too! I thought it was just the UK.
-KwK345- no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 23rd, 2007, 05:32 PM   #122
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 890

Asphalt no doubt.
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2007, 11:13 PM   #123
radi6404

Likes (Received): 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFM View Post
Asphalt no doubt.
OFCOURSE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It looks ******* ugly, it looks ulgier than extremly old Expressway sretches in Dupnica

This military runway stretch in dupnica which probably will be upgraded to the Struma motorwaqy looks better altough very old and with bad asphalt than the ******* ugly concrete Autobahn.
radi6404 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2007, 11:18 PM   #124
radi6404

This is asphalted new german motorway and looks very good, the asphalt is very new and good but altough it is 1 year old it isn´t as smooth as the 7 years old asphalt of the E79 here in Blagoevgrad and arroun blagoevgrad which is still very dark altough it has heavy Tracktraffic, i don´t know how they made it so good.
Old August 23rd, 2007, 11:21 PM   #125
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

You say that this crappy Bulgarian expressway looks better than state-of-the-art German autobahn pictured above?

Drive them and THEN compare. Oh sorry, forgot you don't have driving license.

But really, are there no mods around?
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2007, 12:23 AM   #126
TheCat
IsraCanadian :)

Likes (Received): 6

It's all a matter of the actual road and how it was constructed. It is possible to make crappy concrete and asphalt roads, but it is also possible to make good ones. The one on the picture that keber has posted definitely looks fine, I don't see anything wrong with it. It's a road after all

And I don't know how radi can say that that old motorway looks "better" than the one on keber's picture. :S

At the end it always comes down to costs and needs, not whose road surface looks more black...
Old August 24th, 2007, 12:43 AM   #127
Urban Legend

Likes (Received): 2539

Asphalt road inside the city in Israel

Jerusalem City of gold

Tel Aviv- City That Never Sleeps

My pics on Panoramio
Urban Legend no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2007, 12:44 AM   #128
radi6404

but concrete moves, it gets wier when it´s hot and so on, and does noone care about confort, i really don´t get keber, on cnncrete it is a ******* noisy and hard ride, on austrian concrete motorways it was a ******* hard and noisy road, it felt like metallreals instead of tires, on new asphalt it is a very smooth and soft ride and also very quite and it looks very good.
Old August 24th, 2007, 07:47 AM   #129
TheCat
IsraCanadian :)

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by radi6404 View Post
but concrete moves, it gets wier when it´s hot and so on, and does noone care about confort, i really don´t get keber, on cnncrete it is a ******* noisy and hard ride, on austrian concrete motorways it was a ******* hard and noisy road, it felt like metallreals instead of tires, on new asphalt it is a very smooth and soft ride and also very quite and it looks very good.
Again - it does not have to be this way, it depends on the construction. If the construction consists of many concrete panels with significant spaces between each, then you will get the characteristic thump-thump noise, but there are ways around it (I am not a civil engineer, hence I cannot comment about any specifics). As for getting wider and narrower due to temperature, I think all roads do that - they are designed to do that, otherwise you get cracking and other undesired effects.
Old August 25th, 2007, 12:11 AM   #130
keber

Quote:
That about noisy ride is true for very old concrete motorways (from 50ies and 60ies), but new ones are certainly better than any asphalt road. There are many concrete motorways in Austria, that are over 20 years old (and under moderate to heavy traffic) and driving on them is still better than most of new asphalt motorways in Europe (even Austria). They don't look very shiny (some are even brown because of rust), but driving (or I'd rather say gliding) is a joy.

And check your car's suspension, it seems not to be in order.
Old August 25th, 2007, 12:43 AM   #131
radi6404

Quote:
Originally Posted by keber View Post
That about noisy ride is true for very old concrete motorways (from 50ies and 60ies), but new ones are certainly better than any asphalt road. There are many concrete motorways in Austria, that are over 20 years old (and under moderate to heavy traffic) and driving on them is still better than most of new asphalt motorways in Europe (even Austria). They don't look very shiny (some are even brown because of rust), but driving (or I'd rather say gliding) is a joy.

And check your car's suspension, it seems not to be in order.
Listen carefully man, the A7 motorway in Austria has extremly smooth asphalt and you don´t feel any riding, it looks very awesome and you imediatelly feel asleep when driving on that awesome motorway. Than we entered the awful A1 motorway and it was very hard and very noisy. it was terrible to drive on that motorway, i felt shitty and wanted the motorway finally to finish, that´s my impression asphalt vs concrete. Asphalt is very very smooth and feels very hard. if you tramp on it you feel how hard it is, concrete somehow feels like it is thin. I definetly prefer asphalt and hope that Austria will go for asphalt instead of shitty concrete.
Old August 25th, 2007, 12:46 AM   #132
keber

First you say, that concrete feels very hard, then later that asphalt feels very hard. Now, could you explain?
Old August 25th, 2007, 12:48 AM   #133
radi6404

Quote:
Originally Posted by keber View Post
First you say, that concrete feels very hard, then later that asphalt feels very hard. Now, could you explain?
I don´tknow how to explain, asphalt is smooth and indeet doesn´t feel very hard but asphalt when it is good feels VERY thick, i like that feeling very much, in Ausria there are some roads which go from some border near Passau to the a7 and they feel very smooth and thick, concrete feels hard and noisy but not thick. Do you understand?
Old August 25th, 2007, 01:02 AM   #134
keber

Concrete is stronger and doesn't need to be so thick. How does it feels, is different matter. And completely irrelevant.
Old August 25th, 2007, 01:03 AM   #135
radi6404

Keber, why do you give a shit how much the coutry does pay and how long the stuff stays good, the only thing that matters to me is confortable driving and that´s only really possible on thick smooth asphalt roads.

Here is the Austrian asphalt motorway which looks and feels extremly good.

Last edited by radi6404; August 25th, 2007 at 01:12 AM.
Old August 25th, 2007, 01:13 AM   #136
keber

Because quality modern concrete motorway is better than quality modern asphalt motorway. That's why. Ofcourse, asphalt has pluses and minuses so has concrete.But you won't persuade me with pictures of some Bulgarian roads, I've been in south, north, east and west Europe and driven their motorways, so i know, what I speak. Photos don't tell everything.
Old August 25th, 2007, 02:13 AM   #137
b1gh0u5e

Likes (Received): 0

Rubberized asphalt that is made with recycled tires is the way to go. They have been testing it in the Phoenix, AZ area for quite a while and it is smooth, quiet, and an absolute pleasure to drive on(if you can avoid the traffic jams). I'm not sure how viable it is in cold weather climates, but there seemed to be no maintenance to the existing surface during the two years I was out there. I thought I read that they were testing it in Northern Virginia(much cooler climate) as well. Can someone from that area verify and let us know how it holds up in that climate?
b1gh0u5e no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2007, 02:21 AM   #138
radi6404

sounds good, but is it hard enough? I like it when the asphalt feels very thick like on the Austrian national roads and asphalt motorways, i can go crazy.
Old August 25th, 2007, 03:11 AM   #139
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19123

Quote:
OFCOURSE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It looks ******* ugly, it looks ulgier than extremly old Expressway sretches in Dupnica

This military runway stretch in dupnica which probably will be upgraded to the Struma motorwaqy looks better altough very old and with bad asphalt than the ******* ugly concrete Autobahn.
Do we see the same pictures??
Are you mad or drunk that you write such bullshit??

I know that you love to put this damn balkan roads to every post you write but your statement above is just ridiculous.
On don't write about Struma motorway
Everyone already know it's your favorite project on whole world.
geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2007, 07:32 PM   #140
miamicanes

Likes (Received): 181

Hmmm... no comments on my question yet... I'd still like to know what the official term is for roads that were built as concrete (both bridges and at-grade pavement), but eventually ended up getting topped by a relatively thin layer of asphalt that gets scraped away and recycled on a regular basis. Is Florida really the only place in the world where this is commonly done?
miamicanes no está en línea   Reply With Quote