daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: So??
Asphalt 92 80.70%
Concrete 22 19.30%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 25th, 2007, 08:04 PM   #141
RoadUser

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamicanes View Post
Hmmm... no comments on my question yet... I'd still like to know what the official term is for roads that were built as concrete (both bridges and at-grade pavement), but eventually ended up getting topped by a relatively thin layer of asphalt that gets scraped away and recycled on a regular basis. Is Florida really the only place in the world where this is commonly done?
When I lived in England about 10 years ago, there was a stretch of the M40 that was made of 1950s style concrete blocks. Not only was there a huge gap between each block that the car practically fell into every second or so, but the concrete itself was extremely old and very rough.

While we were there they surfaced it with asphalt, which, of course, was a huge improvement. For some reason though it took them ages to finish the work, which caused disruption on the road for months.
RoadUser no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 28th, 2007, 03:02 PM   #142
aussiescraperman

Likes (Received): 8

i love driving on white asphalt or concrete freeways, they look hot...compared to tacky black asphalt ones which unnnfortunately are used most in australia...
Old August 28th, 2007, 08:19 PM   #143
rick1016

Likes (Received): 15

As mentioned, a lot of highways in the Toronto area have concrete underneath as they were first built with concrete, but are surfaced with asphalt.
rick1016 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2007, 08:20 PM   #144
rick1016

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiescraperman View Post
i love driving on white asphalt or concrete freeways, they look hot...compared to tacky black asphalt ones which unnnfortunately are used most in australia...

I think in New South Wales and Queensland there are more concrete highways.
rick1016 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2007, 10:51 PM   #145
kieselgrau-orange

Likes (Received): 0

bridge

kieselgrau-orange no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2007, 04:13 AM   #146
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19123

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieselgrau-orange View Post
Where it is???
geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2007, 11:03 AM   #147
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1818

Emmm, does it really matter where it is? You can make miracles with reinforced concrete and you can make concrete in different colours also, but that's not the point of the thread, is it? (I know you were just being curious, but I thought that when I don't say anything, the next one is also going to be a picture of a bridge)

Last edited by Rebasepoiss; September 1st, 2007 at 10:19 PM.
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2007, 07:48 PM   #148
geogregor

Likes (Received): 19123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebasepoiss View Post
Emmm, does it really matter where it is? You can make miracles with reinforced concrete and you can make concrete in different colours also, but that's not the point of the thread, is it?
I'm just curious
geogregor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2007, 03:59 PM   #149
NZer

Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick1016 View Post
As mentioned, a lot of highways in the Toronto area have concrete underneath as they were first built with concrete, but are surfaced with asphalt.

They must be very strong?
NZer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2007, 01:08 AM   #150
TheCat
IsraCanadian :)

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZer View Post
They must be very strong?
Well, I don't know how to qualitatively assess their strength, but most of them do take a lot of pounding from massive truck traffic. When it comes to pavement quality, surprisingly it is pretty good (unlike our streets, many of which are in horrible condition), but that's because the highways are quite frequently resurfaced.
Old September 18th, 2007, 08:58 PM   #151
SVT777

Likes (Received): 0

I have to respectively disagree you CAT with the quality of the 400 Series Highways. As someone who travels from Scarborough to Mississauga everyday, I experience all the road work that occurs throughout the year. I have noticed that there are many sections are the 401 that develop cracks and potholes about 6 months after they were resurfaced. The worst thing is those little "speed bumps" that appear to get larger and larger by the week until they are ground down without even properly being resurfaced. I also noticed that major cracking tends to develop on the joints between the parallel paving sections. This is especially noticeable when changing lanes. The Absolute worst stretch is 401 West collectors between 400/401 interchange and 401/409 interchange. Just full of cracks and patch jobs on a stretch that was resurfaced only a few years ago. On a recent trip to Pittsburgh, I noticed that the quality of the pavement on the Interstates is far superior to what is used in our area...which is something that couldn't have been said 10 years ago. But...there are areas that were still smooth even after 10 years and let's not even talk about recent constructions where the roads are "glass" smooth and quiet. Even the older portions which are still smooth were being resurfaced. I also noticed that they place a bead of tar in between the joints of the paving sections. This is something that I have not seen here...but I presume that it is to help prevent moisture from entering the crack and destroying it through the constant temperature changes within the winter months. Coming back on the QEW was a little disappointing. I can say that the 400 has kept up pretty well...even after 10 years. Although the joints are cracking, the surface is still pretty smooth. If you travel along the 401, there are so many types of asphalt. Although I don't know the names, there are some that are almost purplish in colour, some that are black and coarse with a high concentration of stone and some that are "glass" smooth like the 401 Eastbound between Weston Rd and Keele. I have a feeling that these paving companies are taking the governments for a ride by paving the roads as cheaply as possible and maximizing their profits. There should be someone in the Gov't looking at this and inquiring on why this is happening. But then again...it's the Government.
SVT777 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2007, 10:51 PM   #152
Wallaroo

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by keber View Post
It doesn't matter how it looks. It matters how it functions!

And new concrete autobahns both in Germany and Austria look and function splendid. What could be better than this?

(taken from http://www.autobahn-bilder.de)
This is exactly how a motorway should look like IMO. But why are the road stribes not placed on the crack between the concrete elements - that would look a lot better I think.
Wallaroo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2007, 11:06 PM   #153
radi6404

Likes (Received): 27

IMO this is exactly how a motorway should NOT look, do you know how this feels while driving? Nothing can be compared with thick smooth even asphalt, if asphalt laid well you forget that you are driving (at least on the Struma motorway and some Slovenian motorways.)
radi6404 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2007, 11:25 PM   #154
RawLee

Likes (Received): 1083

Brand new part of M7 motorway...

and "new"(a few years old)part of M0,designed for heavy usage
RawLee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2007, 01:54 PM   #155
goschio
proud Kuffar

Likes (Received): 4248

I prefer concrete. The bright surface of concrete looks much better than black asphalt.

Matthew 7:25
And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.
goschio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2007, 03:51 PM   #156
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1818

Quote:
Originally Posted by goschio View Post
I prefer concrete. The bright surface of concrete looks much better than black asphalt.
I disagree. Road markings are a lot better to see on dark asphalt.
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2007, 07:13 PM   #157
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Quote:
Originally Posted by radi6404 View Post
IMO this is exactly how a motorway should NOT look, do you know how this feels while driving?
Apparently YOU don't know that.
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2007, 07:34 PM   #158
radi6404

Quote:
Originally Posted by keber View Post
Apparently YOU don't know that.
I know how concrete feels, I drove on concrete motorways, ok, the very new concrete vienna ringroad feels pretty good, pretty smooth but the struma motorway for example is smoother and more even. :P
Old September 26th, 2007, 07:47 PM   #159
keber

Likes (Received): 1364

Quote:
Originally Posted by radi6404 View Post
I know how concrete feels, I drove on concrete motorways, ok, the very new concrete vienna ringroad feels pretty good, pretty smooth but the struma motorway for example is smoother and more even. :P
Sure.
Drive that autobahn and then compare it to Struma.

Last edited by keber; September 26th, 2007 at 07:54 PM.
keber no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2007, 07:52 PM   #160
radi6404

Keber, I seriously don´t think there´s anything smoother than Struma motorway, Slovenian motorways are partly as smooth as ti though. Man, there is 50 cm thick asphalt on that motorway, what do you want.