daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Photo Forums > Urban Showcase

Urban Showcase Show your selfmade photos

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 23rd, 2006, 10:56 PM   #21
BuffCity
I make Buffalo look good!

Likes (Received): 5

london is without a doubt the best city in Europe.

Sponsored Links
Old April 24th, 2006, 11:04 AM   #22
cphdude
Timelord victorious

Likes (Received): 15

Looks absolutely wonderful....
cphdude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2006, 11:15 AM   #23
Mosaic
BANGKOK

Likes (Received): 801

I am in love with them, really impressive.
Mosaic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2006, 03:17 PM   #24
achineseinchina
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

!!Great city!! did anyone know when these were build in the first few picture?
achineseinchina no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2006, 10:26 PM   #25
Xander

Likes (Received): 3

AMAZING pictures, makes me want to go to London so bad, then I remembered I already live here. But you have really captured that unique London nightime atmosphere.

ニョキニョキと広くて青い空に延ばしている摩天楼...........

My threads:
Taiwan: 1 2 3; Malaysia; Singapore; Indonesia- 1 2 3; Toronto: 1 2
Xander no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2007, 02:21 AM   #26
Avens

I've only just discovered this thread and wow! If ever a thread deserved a bump it's this one.

Liverpool FC
Avens no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2007, 02:26 AM   #27
Jaeger

Likes (Received): 203

Great pics
Jaeger no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2007, 08:42 AM   #28
Peshu

Likes (Received): 1

Geez the place is so dead at night .
Peshu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2007, 01:48 PM   #29
the spliff fairy
ONE WORLD

Likes (Received): 6426

London is one of the busiest places in the world at night, there are about 10,000 pubs (and uncountable bars), 15,000 restaurants, 110 theatres (600 dance troupes and 1500 theatre groups), 600 cinema screens and about 500,000 people go clubbing in any given night -about 1/2 million people pass through the Soho area alone in a night (rising to 1 million on the weekend), its busier at 4am than 4pm there. Rusho hours are the norm from 7-10am, 3-7pm, and again 8-9pm and 11-1230am (when the tube closes) whence the bus network takes over with the queues lasting till 5am

Last edited by the spliff fairy; September 8th, 2007 at 01:55 PM.
the spliff fairy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2007, 07:15 PM   #30
Mr Bricks

Likes (Received): 906

Fantastic pics!
Mr Bricks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2007, 07:38 PM   #31
poshbakerloo
***Alexxx***

Likes (Received): 291

one of the greatest citys...

I <3 London
poshbakerloo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2007, 12:51 AM   #32
PejatBR

Likes (Received): 32

Very good pics, well done !
PejatBR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2007, 02:49 AM   #33
Peshu

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by the spliff fairy View Post
London is one of the busiest places in the world at night, there are about 10,000 pubs (and uncountable bars), 15,000 restaurants, 110 theatres (600 dance troupes and 1500 theatre groups), 600 cinema screens and about 500,000 people go clubbing in any given night -about 1/2 million people pass through the Soho area alone in a night (rising to 1 million on the weekend), its busier at 4am than 4pm there. Rusho hours are the norm from 7-10am, 3-7pm, and again 8-9pm and 11-1230am (when the tube closes) whence the bus network takes over with the queues lasting till 5am

Not bad statistically speaking . But not that impressive regarding the population . Not at all actually . Every major city has an area or two where people are bound to congregate . It's just that other smaller cities with-in Europe really do make London over-all feel extremely sedate . As most of their cbds and even suburbs are packed with life during the night-time . Unlike London as can be appreciated from these photos which according to Big Ben werte taken just after nine in the evening .
Anyway you definately get the impession that you have arrived in a very quiete place when you have just come in from some of the European continental cities .
Peshu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2007, 03:01 AM   #34
Ashok

Likes (Received): 2879

wow. Just great
Old September 9th, 2007, 03:18 AM   #35
Columbus
Flier of the seven seas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peshu View Post
Not bad statistically speaking . But not that impressive regarding the population . Not at all actually . Every major city has an area or two where people are bound to congregate . It's just that other smaller cities with-in Europe really do make London over-all feel extremely sedate . As most of their cbds and even suburbs are packed with life during the night-time . Unlike London as can be appreciated from these photos which according to Big Ben werte taken just after nine in the evening .
Anyway you definately get the impession that you have arrived in a very quiete place when you have just come in from some of the European continental cities .
Thats a load of bollocks, London feels over-crowded, there are plenty of these area where people congregate at night like piccadilly circus, you'd know if you'd actually been.

SEE PHOTOS OF LEEDS HERE:http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=564138
Columbus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2007, 04:42 AM   #36
WolfHound
College Student

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by the spliff fairy View Post
Yea when I went to soho late at nite after pubbing I was surpised by how many people were also out walking around. London at nite is amazing I miss it. Yea and Picadilly circus is crazy at nite too. The only area that dosen't have a lot of people at nite are places like Holburn and Russel Square.
Old September 9th, 2007, 02:53 PM   #37
the spliff fairy
ONE WORLD

Likes (Received): 6426

It's not that people 'congregate' in certain areas but that the whole centre is packed from Soho through the West End and across the river into Vauxhall and Southwark, and now into the 'new West end', the East End.. The thing with London and its myriad urban villages and suburbs, the density may be low (for Europe) but the centre is absolutely jam packed with life night and day. For example The City financial district has a population of 7000 per sq mile residentially but rises to near 400,000 every day, Oxford St gets up to 500,000 people walking it with similar densities for Victoria, Piccadilly, Leicester Sq, Chinatown, Soho, Covent Garden etc- you could walk in the thick of a crowd from West to East across the whole centre in a day. This is exactly the same by night, with the tube packed with revellers and drinkers (not the greatest thing to experience) and what seems the entire West End devoted to drinking. The areas where there arent nightclubs and pubs by night are understandably the Royalty/ governmental areas (eg Big Ben, Palace and Whitehall), Oxford St shopping, and the financial districts - in short areas self-policed into strictly retail or business or administrative zones.

and the suburbs have 24 hr 'hotspots' too like Camden (for live music), Kings Cross (clubbing), Brixton and Camberwell (bars), Edgware (sheesha lounges and Lebanese restaurants/bars/cafes) etc being the most famous examples but every district has its 'High Street' areas bsuy at night too.

In other words each myriad district works like a small provincial town with its centre devoted to nightlife by night, but the main, vast centre of London works the same alongside, with a mindboggling amount on offer. If theres one thing London cant be faulted on it's nightlife, and they don't claim its the best in the world for nothing (tho' Im sure 24 hr Madrid with 40,000 bars might have something to say about that).

Last edited by the spliff fairy; September 9th, 2007 at 03:05 PM.
the spliff fairy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2007, 05:02 PM   #38
Ralphkke
Carpe Diem

Likes (Received): 2

Amazing pictures, thanks for sharing!
Old September 9th, 2007, 06:59 PM   #39
xzmattzx
Philly sports fan

Likes (Received): 4270

Great pictures. I hope you stay around on SSC. Venture into some of the other sections, I think you'll like them.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: London is one of the few cities on my list of must-see places before I die.
xzmattzx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2007, 11:33 PM   #40
Its AlL gUUd
Cute but Psycho...

Likes (Received): 296

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peshu View Post
do you even know what you are talking about?