daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 1st, 2007, 09:03 AM   #241
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

nomarandlee posted another article in the South Side thread

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/01/ar....html?ref=arts

New Arts Center in Chicago

The New York architects Tod Williams and Billie Tsien have been chosen to design a $100 million arts center at the University of Chicago, the university is to announce today. The design, still in the conceptual phases, calls for a glass and stone building with several quadrangles, narrow rectilinear windows and a tower described as a “beacon of light.” The center — to be called the Reva and David Logan Center for Creative and Performing Arts, after major donors to the project — is scheduled for completion in 2011. It will rise on the southern sector of the campus, alongside Frederick Law Olmsted’s historic Midway Plaisance Park. The building will feature studios, classrooms and art exhibition space; rehearsal and a black-box theater space for productions and teaching; music practice rooms and performance space; a film vault and screening hall; digital media and editing labs; and media classrooms. University trustees selected Ms. Tsien and Mr. Williams from among six firms in an international design competition.
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 2nd, 2007, 01:29 AM   #242
ChivDevil

Likes (Received): 0

Here is a rendering:

ChivDevil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2007, 03:24 AM   #243
CHIsentinel
padisha emperor

Likes (Received): 319

I REALLY like this project; I hope we'll be able to see all of the other finalist entries. You beat me to it ChivDevil, thanks
CHIsentinel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2007, 12:05 AM   #244
spyguy
Expert

I like this design a lot and I hope they don't change it too much before construction.
Old June 3rd, 2007, 12:34 AM   #245
ErmDiego
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

Children's Museum

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
http://chicagorealestatedaily.com/cg...ws.pl?id=25188

Meeting on Children’s Museum gets heated
By Lorene Yue

at Navy Pier.
Would be curious to see results of a traffic study as a fair share of the museum business is suburban. As well, how are the projections on existing garages? Are the Grant Street & Monroe garages already at capacity or would this help their utilization?
Navy Pier is not really efficiently accesable by public transportation, other than bus (which is fine if you live in the city), so the attendance figures of Navy Pier are pretty astounding considering that. The Museum is thankful to have the Navy Pier draw...would be interested in their new projections if they move.
ErmDiego no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2007, 12:41 AM   #246
ErmDiego
BANNED

Fits in well at bad string of 70's & 80's stuff that Northwestern erected inspite of their orginal quality (ode to occupied East Germany), but University of Chicago???

It may all depend on the quality of material they will actually use. If they want to compliment with the glass, fine, but the black slate? I don't know.

For example, the new Student Center and changes at IIT along the Green Line work, in my opinion, because they did not appear to skimp on the modern material quality of the glass and stainless steel used, especially for the tunnel project.
Old June 3rd, 2007, 02:23 AM   #247
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErmDiego View Post
Are the Grant Street & Monroe garages already at capacity or would this help their utilization?
Why is the Children's Museum insistent upon building an incredibly expensive building where it's legally prohibited from doing so? Well, the East Monroe garage is underutilized, and a cynic might imagine some connection between the well-connected garage operator and the mayor's support for a location in Grant Park--or between a park location and tapping the Museums in the Park public funding.

The designs envision a direct connection from the underground garage to the museum. Yes, nothing enhances a child's understanding of Chicago and the world like going straight from a minivan to a cloakroom, bathed in flourescent light. Maybe there'll be a diorama in the corridor of Montgomery Ward, with a tear running down his face.
Mr Downtown está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2007, 05:01 PM   #248
ErmDiego
BANNED

Children's Museum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
Why is the Children's Museum insistent upon building an incredibly expensive building where it's legally prohibited from doing so? Well, the East Monroe garage is underutilized, and a cynic might imagine some connection between the well-connected garage operator and the mayor's support for a location in Grant Park--or between a park location and tapping the Museums in the Park public funding.

The designs envision a direct connection from the underground garage to the museum. Yes, nothing enhances a child's understanding of Chicago and the world like going straight from a minivan to a cloakroom, bathed in flourescent light. Maybe there'll be a diorama in the corridor of Montgomery Ward, with a tear running down his face.
Agreed 100%, just trying to figure out the argument and financial outlook from the supporters and city. I like how they present a single option for public opinion (not multiple), knowing they are going through the motions for public input, like this will be stopped.
Old June 3rd, 2007, 05:29 PM   #249
ricardo

Likes (Received): 1

I agree also. Why don't they just fix that park and maybe make it similiar to the millenium park. Once you start building on grand park even if is small building who knows what will be next a highriser next to buckingham fountain.
ricardo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2007, 07:11 PM   #250
spyguy
Expert

Quote:
Maybe there'll be a diorama in the corridor of Montgomery Ward, with a tear running down his face.
Yes, with him pointing towards Grant Park atop a Randolph Street highrise saying, "I didn't envision this to be a neighbhorhood park or bedroom community."

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardo View Post
I agree also. Why don't they just fix that park and maybe make it similiar to the millenium park.
Well K+S are very good architects, and I think they are an appropriate choice considering that this will be connected to Millennium Park, which will be connected to Renzo Piano's Art Institute expansion. This will finally give people something to do after they cross the BP Bridge as well.

Quote:
Once you start building on grand park even if is small building who knows what will be next a highriser next to buckingham fountain.
That's a little exaggerated. This plan has two stories above ground.
Old June 4th, 2007, 05:13 PM   #251
slooparch

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:

Yeah, right on! Please join me in an effort rid our beautiful pristine lakefront parks of our other cultural monstrosities! Let's blow up the Notebart Nature Museum, the Lincoln Park Zoo, the former Science Acadamy, the Chicago History Museum, Millenium Park, The Art Insitute, The Field Museum, The Shedd Aquarium, The Adler, The South Shore Country Club.....

yeah, and ErmDiego is right on too....I don't think any of these insitutions EVER did a serious traffic study!
slooparch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2007, 11:23 PM   #252
Chicagotom

Bring it South

If the North End of Grant Park doesn't want the Children’s Museum, I am for bringing it to the South Wall. Wouldn't it fit in the soon to be regained portion along the Metra tracks from the 11th street Bridge to Roosevelt Road?

It would be adjacent to the Museum Campus and when there done they can hit the Shed or the Planetarium and make it a day. The location has a Metra Stop and 3 El lines are 2 blocks away and much better access from the major expressways. For the Suburban crowds they can utilize the Solder's Field Parking and that way the City gets the parking revenues vs. Goldman or Merrill who ever bought the rights to the Grant Park Garage.

Why are they stuck on the North End?
Chicagotom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2007, 12:41 AM   #253
wrabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagotom View Post
.....Why are they stuck on the North End?
I remember the city saying something a while back about how they needed a "destination" for that side of the Gehry bridge.
wrabbit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2007, 01:21 AM   #254
Flubnut
4th Level of Hades

Quote:
For the Suburban crowds they can utilize the Solder's Field Parking...
I would love to cover those railroad tracks and/or add something to the south side of the park, but families are not going to want to walk from the Soldier Field parking lot to (almost) the corner of Michigan and Roosevelt.
Flubnut no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2007, 02:55 AM   #255
BorisMolotov

Likes (Received): 9

Why? My family would. We would park there, as we're from suburbia, and then hike over there to see this.
BorisMolotov no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2007, 12:09 PM   #256
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2761

Quote:
If the North End of Grant Park doesn't want the Children’s Museum, I am for bringing it to the South Wall. Wouldn't it fit in the soon to be regained portion along the Metra tracks from the 11th street Bridge to Roosevelt Road?
I suggested that exact location over on SSP as well. I think it would fit in well there filling in an ugly gap on the south end as well as adding another cultural amentity near the Museum Campus.

If that is too far for the kidies to walk then that really is a sad commetary.

And as cool as nice as the Gehry bridge is I don't think you build a major cultural building just because it is there. That kind of planning seems a bit odd to me.
Old June 5th, 2007, 03:45 PM   #257
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee View Post
If that is too far for the kidies to walk then that really is a sad commetary.
Three-fifths of a mile (from Soldier Field parking to Roosevelt/Indiana) is a little unrealistic for a stroller and a four-year-old in February.
Old June 5th, 2007, 03:53 PM   #258
Chicagotom

Quote:
Three-fifths of a mile (from Soldier Field parking to Roosevelt/Indiana) is a little unrealistic for a stroller and a four-year-old in February.
And does anyone wonder why we have an adult and adolescent obesity epidemic in this country.

Mr. DT. How far is the Planetarium from the SF lots? Seems like about the same but maybe it's further.
Chicagotom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2007, 04:44 PM   #259
BorisMolotov

Likes (Received): 9

Here's how we fix this: Have people alternate pushing stroller, and the 4 yo rides on Dad's shoulders.
BorisMolotov no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2007, 06:25 PM   #260
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

Planetarium is about 4000 feet from Soldier Field parking, but is typically visited by older children. Preschoolers are a big component of Childrens Museum visitors, and dragging two dead-tired ones 3500 feet back to the minivan at the end of the afternoon, in the rain, will make any parent think twice about a repeat visit to such a family-unfriendly environment.