daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 6th, 2007, 12:10 AM   #261
Chicagotom

Likes (Received): 0

Well we are drifting here. I just think it's extreamly unlikely that the city will ever build parking lots as they did for the North End of Grant Park. They were and economic disaster initially. I don't know what the 563 million dollar long term (99 year) lease/sale with Morgan Stanley did for the City's taste for building that kind of infrastructure.
Chicagotom no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 6th, 2007, 02:35 AM   #262
PrintersRowBoiler

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagotom View Post
Well we are drifting here. I just think it's extreamly unlikely that the city will ever build parking lots as they did for the North End of Grant Park. They were and economic disaster initially. I don't know what the 563 million dollar long term (99 year) lease/sale with Morgan Stanley did for the City's taste for building that kind of infrastructure.
Yes, initially it was a disaster. Ultimately, the city leased the parking garages for $563 million (about $61,000 per stall) for 99 years. Today I heard the announcement that they would raise the price $3 and up to $20 for special events.

While a parking garage on the South end may not pull in quite $61,000 a stall, I think it is an avenue worth exploring. While city staff may justify the move to the north end to help an "underserved" location, I think the south end of the park is a far more underserved section. Plus, technically the musuem would dodge the Ward restriction. Maybe parking could be placed underground north of 11th Street with the museum south of 11th Street. It could all be rolled over into a master plan to cover the tracks south of Balbo or even Congress. Would certainly tie in the skateboard park/museums/dog park/Roosevelt train station better.
PrintersRowBoiler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2007, 04:57 PM   #263
Chicagotom

PRB

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrintersRowBoiler View Post
Yes, initially it was a disaster. Ultimately, the city leased the parking garages for $563 million (about $61,000 per stall) for 99 years. Today I heard the announcement that they would raise the price $3 and up to $20 for special events.

While a parking garage on the South end may not pull in quite $61,000 a stall, I think it is an avenue worth exploring. While city staff may justify the move to the north end to help an "underserved" location, I think the south end of the park is a far more underserved section. Plus, technically the musuem would dodge the Ward restriction. Maybe parking could be placed underground north of 11th Street with the museum south of 11th Street. It could all be rolled over into a master plan to cover the tracks south of Balbo or even Congress. Would certainly tie in the skateboard park/museums/dog park/Roosevelt train station better.

I thought the 11th Street restriction was proctecting the historic buildings on the Michigan Avenue Wall? Does it also apply to the Grant Park building restriction or am I just confused. At anyrate I wrote Bob Fioretti this morning and pointed out some of the discussion on the thread suggesting the south end as an alternative. I'll be interested in his reply.
Old June 7th, 2007, 05:02 PM   #264
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

Likes (Received): 10

The Historic Michigan Boulevard District is along the west side of the street from Randolph to 11th Street.

The prohibition on any buildings in Grant Park, affirmed by the several Montgomery Ward court cases, forbids any building east of Michigan (to the bulkhead line of Lake Michigan) between Randolph and Park Row (11th Place, now gone).

See the Grant Park thread from March of this year for more details.
Mr Downtown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2007, 05:06 PM   #265
Chicagotom

So technically a building could be built south of 11th street in Grant Park. Amazing. I think that this site has so much more potential than the North End.
Old June 7th, 2007, 05:16 PM   #266
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

No, any building would have to be south of 11th Place.
Old June 7th, 2007, 05:30 PM   #267
Chicagotom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
No, any building would have to be south of 11th Place.
OK so were would you say that lines up today? south of the current Metra bridge?
Old June 8th, 2007, 11:28 AM   #268
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Likes (Received): 2

No, right about at the Metra bridge. In Google Earth, you can see the grass changing color where the walkway to the station is. That's roughly 11th Place.
ardecila no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2007, 05:58 PM   #269
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

Park Row (11th Place) was 408 ft, 6 inches south of the centerline of 11th Street.
Old June 12th, 2007, 08:25 PM   #270
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/4...viet12.article

New name, focus, home for Vietnam vets art museum
June 12, 2007

Chicago's struggling National Vietnam Veterans Art Museum will get a new name, a broader focus that encompasses all wars and a new downtown location -- either beneath the $4.3 million Vietnam War Memorial along the Chicago River or at Navy Pier, aldermen were told Monday.

With those assurances -- and a guarantee that the museum can move its consolidated art collection to the third floor of 1801 S. Indiana and keep it there for the next two years -- the City Council's Housing Committee approved Mayor Daley's stalled plan to buy the South Loop building.

Last month, three aldermen who served in the armed forces blocked the $2.5 million purchase amid concern that the 1,500 pieces of work by 125 veteran artists would be out in the cold and that veterans could be "on the street with their art in their hands."
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2007, 07:42 PM   #271
spyguy
Expert

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/n...ationworld-hed

New Chicago dance company launched

By Sid Smith
Published June 15, 2007

Two former heads of Hubbard Street 2 announced Friday the launch of an organization here that will include a small troupe and also serve as a resource for the Chicago dance community.

DanceWorks Chicago will be home to its own six-member troupe, probably beginning early next year. But it also is intended to serve as a kind of laboratory, workshop and support service. It is the brainchild of the husband-and-wife team of Julie Nakagawa Bottcher and Andreas Bottcher, who resigned as Hubbard 2 artistic director and managing director, respectively, earlier this year. They're forming the new operation with longtime dance and arts supporters Pam Crutchfield and Debbie Kristofek.
Old June 16th, 2007, 01:32 AM   #272
ErmDiego
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

Vietnam vets art museum

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/4...viet12.article

New name, focus, home for Vietnam vets art museum
June 12, 2007

Chicago's struggling National Vietnam Veterans Art Museum will get a new name, a broader focus that encompasses all wars and a new downtown location -- either beneath the $4.3 million Vietnam War Memorial along the Chicago River or at Navy Pier, aldermen were told Monday.

With those assurances -- and a guarantee that the museum can move its consolidated art collection to the third floor of 1801 S. Indiana and keep it there for the next two years -- the City Council's Housing Committee approved Mayor Daley's stalled plan to buy the South Loop building.

Last month, three aldermen who served in the armed forces blocked the $2.5 million purchase amid concern that the 1,500 pieces of work by 125 veteran artists would be out in the cold and that veterans could be "on the street with their art in their hands."
Spyguy,

1. Black Orchid - see below. Interesting that the organization the Museum were trying to bring in as a partner went under and was auctioned. Something very fishy there. The Museum was trying to do a lease to own agreement with Black Orchid for far under the value of the building. City called their bluff. (Museum owes city $1.7MM in TIF Loans)

2. Building was conveyed to the Chicago Park District Monday.

---------- Grafe Auction - Black Orchid Supper Club ----------
Date: Thursday, June 14, 2007
Time: 1899-12-30 10:30:00
Address: 230 West North Ave. , Chicago, IL

Directions: From I-90 exit 48B (North Ave.) east (toward the lake) 1.5 miles to the Piper Alley Building (3rd floor, ample parking and a loading dock).
Auctioneer's Note: This is a very rare opportunity. Two landmark Chicago locations selling in two huge days, both facilities on the same street and within three miles of each other! The busy summer months are here; don’t miss this chance to obtain your needed items at auction prices. Both locations are loaded with equipment including huge dining areas, bars and full kitchens. The doors open at 8:30 AM each day and everything must be sold regardless of price.
ErmDiego no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2007, 02:04 PM   #273
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2761

Center for Jewish Life

http://www.suntimes.com/business/roe...eder20.article

CHERUBS WANTED: A rarity in real estate is a developer who calls attention to his own project tanking. Such a developer is Lubavitch Chabad, an organization dedicated to Jewish counseling and teaching that has spent $6 million on a planned Center for Jewish Life at the southwest corner of Clark and Chestnut. Trouble is, the money has gotten them only a hole in the ground.

The group needs another $6 million to complete the spiritual sanctuary, complete with a place for mivkas, or ritual baths. Rabbi Meir Chai Benhiyoun, director of Chabad of the Loop, Gold Coast and Lincoln Park, said the group needs to find donors to complete the project or add a developer for a commercial and residential component.

That means, you guessed it, a zoning change would be needed for a structure larger that originally contemplated. A supporter of the center, Yehuda Sugar, said something in the 15-story range seems doable.

Ald. Brendan Reilly, whose 42nd Ward includes the site, said he has an open mind about a rezoning but said the organization must first draw up specific plans and get support from the neighbors before asking for his commitment.

Another alternative is to sell the property, former site of the Chestnut Station theater. The rabbi said he has no "developer preference" if he has to go that route. He said developer Alter Group Ltd. and architect Dan Coffey have provided valuable help.

Why start a project without the money in hand? Benhiyoun said he trusted advice that once work started, the biggest donations would materialize.
Old June 20th, 2007, 03:41 PM   #274
Chicagotom

Art Institute Glass Wall

I noticed over the weekend that the supporting brackets of the glass curtain wall of the Modern Wing of the Art Institute were being installed.

I am in FL for an extended period and will not be back for a while. Can someone keep track of the glass installation? It will be interesting with all the discussion in other threads as to the quality of the materials, i.e. trump, omp1, blk37, how this looks. Can the Art Institute get it right? I hope so.
Old June 20th, 2007, 05:01 PM   #275
dropdeaded209

god i hope so too. this art institute addition has a real chance to be a fantastic part of the city and it is in such a prominent location--not to mention it's our first piano...
dropdeaded209 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2007, 08:07 PM   #276
spyguy
Expert

One thing that concerns me is if the addition ends up looking like all the other Renzo Piano expansions in the US, like the High Museum or the Morgan Library. I know starchitects reuse ideas constantly, but I expect a little more when they are designing something for a prominent museum like the Art Institute. I just hope it is different enough so that it does not bore visitors who have seen similar buildings in other cities. The bridge might help though.
Old June 21st, 2007, 03:40 AM   #277
slooparch

Likes (Received): 5

Has anyone seen renderings of Krueck and Sexton's proposed Childrens' Museum?
slooparch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2007, 04:29 AM   #278
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
One thing that concerns me is if the addition ends up looking like all the other Renzo Piano expansions in the US, like the High Museum or the Morgan Library. I know starchitects reuse ideas constantly, but I expect a little more when they are designing something for a prominent museum like the Art Institute. I just hope it is different enough so that it does not bore visitors who have seen similar buildings in other cities. The bridge might help though.
^ I wouldn't be worried. After all, the Art Institute pretty much already looks like every grand intitutional building in the US from that period. You know, the whole grand stairs, columns, lions flanking the entrance motif. I think it's what's on the inside that really counts, and most people realize this
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2007, 07:39 AM   #279
spyguy
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Urban Politician View Post
I think it's what's on the inside that really counts, and most people realize this
I actually was thinking about the interiors. This is pretty much what I am expecting:

Old June 21st, 2007, 07:41 AM   #280
spyguy
Expert

http://www.suntimes.com/business/spi...pirr18.article

MBC vs. YouTube
Changing role of the Internet means Chicago's Broadcast Museum faces challanges beyond funding

June 18, 2007
BY BRAD SPIRRISON

Development plans for the Museum of Broadcast Communications have been on hiatus for more than a year while CEO Bruce DuMont fights to save the 20-year-old institution from fading to black.

According to the original script, the MBC was to move to a state-of-the-art facility at State and Kinzie this year after leaving its previous home at the Chicago Cultural Center at the end of 2003. After Gov. Blagojevich reneged on promised financial support, however, construction plans halted, and DuMont is now trying to sell naming rights to bridge a $10 million gap.

While DuMont understandably blames Gov. Blagojevich for the quagmire, the real culprits may be Steve Jobs, YouTube CEO Chad Hurley and any of us who download and view television on the Internet .

Largely due to its 85,000 hours of archived programming, for years the MBC ranked among the city's top tourist destinations. Yet the value of presenting those archives diminishes as more programming becomes accessible online, and viewers can go to iTunes to watch reruns of "Lost" and YouTube for vintage episodes of "The Mike Ditka Show." Given that more than 90 million Americans have viewed video on the Web to date, is a broadcast museum today even necessary?

"The world has changed dramatically since we planned to build the museum," acknowledged DuMont, a television journalist and producer whose uncle founded the DuMont Television Network. He added that more resources are being put into the MBC Web site, found at www.museum.tv, as the museum continues to court financiers.

"We believe the virtual museum experience is every bit as important as the bricks and mortar," DuMont said. "The online museum should be a place where media scholars engage with each other and television and radio viewers."

To that end, the MBC has recently raised money to digitize historic and socially significant programming.

In recent years, the museum has received grants from the Oprah Winfrey Foundation to digitally preserve hundreds of programs from its civil rights collection, and the Brinson Foundation to digitize its collection of political debates and speeches.

On July 2, the MBC will hold a fundraiser at the Auditorium Theater to celebrate the 75th anniversary of Franklin Delano Roosevelt's first presidential nomination acceptance speech. That radio broadcast was among the first times Americans heard a politician's voice transmitted electronically.

CBS 2 Chicago General Manager Joe Ahern -- recently elected to the MBC board -- believes new technologies "call into question every museum that exists today," and the effort to maintain relevance is not specific to the MBC.

Ahern added that downloading content at home from the Internet would never replace "the experiential and shared experience" of consuming video and audio footage in a public setting.

The 70,000-square-foot MBC facility was more than 50 percent complete when the patient and intensely supportive Pepper Construction Co. had to cease work. When the museum finally opens depends on DuMont's ability to raise the necessary funds.

With Blagojevich unlikely to live up to his promise and local broadcast royalty (including Oprah) apparently not interested in ponying up any more money, DuMont is now targeting a "digital visionary" to buy the naming rights, which would be in perpetuity.

"I can't believe there aren't people out there who have a creative vision and the financial wherewithal," he said. "With a little more ingenuity and more dollars, this could be one of the great museums in the world."