daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 21st, 2007, 07:44 AM   #281
Loopy
Chicago, USA

Likes (Received): 0

Last edited by Loopy; June 18th, 2010 at 05:51 PM.
Loopy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 3rd, 2007, 05:47 AM   #282
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/02/us...us&oref=slogin
In Land of Khakis, a New Focus on High Style
Sally Ryan for The New York Times

Lindsey Boland owns Habit, a boutique in the Wicker Park neighborhood of
Chicago that features emerging designers, about half of whom are based in the city.

By LIBBY SANDER
Published: July 2, 2007
CHICAGO, July 1 — Mayor Richard M. Daley — who moves about town in perfectly nice, but not overly nice suits — is hardly the picture of fashion-forward dress with his blue shirts and the occasional striped tie.

But no matter: Mayor Daley, now serving his sixth term, has made the nurturing of Chicago’s fledgling fashion industry one of his pet projects. He is determined to remake the city as a fashion hub, even though it has often seemed to display a fashion sense that reflects his own, with all the flair of a golf shirt and khakis.

“These are great artists,” Mr. Daley said recently of the young designers whose careers he hopes will take off — and remain — in Chicago. Fashion, the mayor said quite sincerely, “is the heart and soul of the city.”

So, with strong guidance from City Hall, the city has started an ambitious plan to support young fashion designers and to try to prevent them from leaving for the coasts, where design jobs are more plentiful. Some of the 250 or so designers here are in the beginning stages of their careers, sewing samples in their living rooms, while others are more established.

In response to a reporter’s question on Friday, Mr. Daley elaborated on the reasons for his support: “Fashion designers add excitement and flair to the city. They attract attention from around the nation and the world.” “And,” he added, “they create jobs.”

Last year, the mayor created a position in the city’s Department of Cultural Affairs to focus on helping fashion designers and linking them with the local industry they need to thrive. Melissa Turner, a former lawyer turned fashion advocate who took the job, has since become the city government’s official face of fashion.

Ms. Turner plans Fashion Focus, Chicago’s equivalent of Fashion Week. She organizes shopping trips to some of the neighborhood boutiques selling items by emerging designers. Later this summer, she will start a Web site compiling industry and business resources for designers, a must-have in a city with no centralized fashion district, she said.

Ms. Turner acknowledges that the city’s hands-on approach to fashion is unusual. Unlike the established fashion capitals, where the industry is ingrained in the local economy and history, a city like Chicago needs a little more help from local government to get things moving, she said.

“It is a different approach to cultivating artistic talent,” Ms. Turner said. “The goal is definitely to get a very good, solid foundation laid, and then to keep building on that to support the different levels of designers here.”

Though Fashion Focus’s weeklong whirlwind of fashion shows and shopping tours has been well-received since its inception in 2005, its debut in a Midwestern city known for sharp-elbowed politics — but not quite for style — was met with some amusement back East.

“At first there was a sort of snicker,” said Lee Trimble, the fashion director for Gen Art in New York, a group that promotes emerging artists, including fashion designers, and has an office in Chicago. “It seemed an oxymoron for a city in the Midwest to have a fashion week. Not to sound snarky, but honestly, that was the feeling.”

Undeterred, Mr. Daley pressed on. The next year, he appointed Ms. Turner and created the Fashion Advisory Council, a group of designers and industry experts.

The last time a Chicago mayor tried to jump-start the city’s flagging apparel industry, acid-washed jeans and shoulder pads reigned. That was in 1987, when Mayor Harold Washington created a city agency to promote the sewn products industry here. Mr. Daley’s plan “is simply taking Mayor Washington’s vision to the ultimate,” said Dorothy Fuller, the president of the Apparel Industry Board Inc., the agency created by Mr. Washington. “To have a city agency behind you is a great deal of help, and it’s unique.”

Lara Miller is just the kind of designer Mr. Daley hopes will stay in Chicago. Ms. Miller, 27, a native Chicagoan, began selling her free-form hand-loomed garments at local boutiques while still a student at the School of the Art Institute of Chicago.

“Chicago is just part of who I am,” said Ms. Miller, who often listens to Cubs games while working in her studio. “In New York and Los Angeles, it’s a lot more competitive. You’re a little fish in a really, really big sea.”

At Habit, a boutique in the Wicker Park neighborhood that features emerging designers, about half of whom are based in Chicago, the owner, Lindsey Boland, said she was content to market her clothing line, superficial inc., locally.

“I’m not pursuing a national market,” said Ms. Boland, 34, a graduate of Parsons the New School for Design in New York City who grew up near Chicago and moved back here a few years ago. “I’m happy with my Chicago market.”

She welcomes the city’s involvement. “It’s really exciting to feel there are people trying to put programs out there that will help you, give you forums to show your work.”

And though Ms. Miller now sells her clothing line in 16 states, including New York and California, hometown pride keeps her in Chicago.

“I don’t expect it to be glamorous,” Ms. Miller said. “I just want it to be fun.”

As for the mayor, even he says the city has only just begun to perfect its strut down the proverbial catwalk. “We’re going to keep working at it,” Mr. Daley said. “We’re not going to say we’re there yet.”
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2007, 02:51 PM   #283
Chicagotom

Art Institute

Any taken new pics of the Modern Wing? How is the glass wall comming? Any work on the bridge?
Chicagotom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2007, 08:00 PM   #284
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

Likes (Received): 10

Pictures of Childrens Museum model

These are taken from the New Eastside website

Mr Downtown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2007, 08:18 PM   #285
wrabbit

Likes (Received): 5

^ Thanks for posting these. K&S sure is trying to minimize the Grant Park profile here. I confess to some ambivalence about this project - I like everything about it, except for the precedent of building another pay-to-play museum in GP.
wrabbit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2007, 05:48 PM   #286
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 203

Residents rally against museum plans
July 26, 2007 - Skyline (Pioneer Press)
By FELICIA DECHTER | STAFF WRITER

Even the children in the neighborhood don't want the Chicago Children's Museum moving to Randolph Street near Lake Shore Drive. And the kids -- along with about 60 adults -- had no problem saying so at a rally opposing the project on July 17.

Read the full article.
Old August 1st, 2007, 07:59 AM   #287
UrbanSophist

Likes (Received): 44

I don't really like this project. I wish they'd do something else with the space, rather than a children's museum.
UrbanSophist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2007, 06:12 PM   #288
Flubnut
4th Level of Hades

Likes (Received): 5

I think if they really want a Grant Park location, they should build above the train tracks at 11th street.
Flubnut no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2007, 06:41 PM   #289
Chitowner245

^ Or anywhere over the tracks for that matter. The city seemingly has no problem handing out TIF money for other stupid crap, so why can't they take on THIS expense?
Chitowner245 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2007, 06:47 PM   #290
The Urban Politician
The City

^ Couldn't agree more. Plus we've got $25 million from Allstate. Great opportunity to cover up the tracks on this one
Old August 4th, 2007, 08:03 PM   #291
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

Few more pics of the museum plans

spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2007, 11:41 PM   #292
Chicagotom

I'm confused. I thought that the new site was along Washington at Columbus. That color rendering shows it at Randolph on the Daley Field House.
Old August 5th, 2007, 12:39 AM   #293
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

Monroe/Columbus was scotched in May.
Old August 5th, 2007, 12:49 AM   #294
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2773

It kind of looks like a hoirzontel Spertus Inst. I think it looks f'n sick personally. I hope whereever it is put they carry over a simialr design.

I also don't see the trafic/bus concerns some of the residents are hammering about and the renders show that the traffic flow looks to be pretty well thought out and coordinated utilizing lower Randolph.

Last edited by nomarandlee; August 5th, 2007 at 12:55 AM.
nomarandlee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2007, 12:59 AM   #295
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

It's really a shame that the locals are so focused on the traffic issue, which is so easily dismissed. Yet even Bob O'Neill and his "conservancy" seem oblivious to the plain fact that buildings are forbidden in Grant Park. Period.
Old August 5th, 2007, 02:00 AM   #296
Chicagotom

Thanks MrDT. I still say bring it to 11th Street
Old August 5th, 2007, 05:16 AM   #297
Loopy
Chicago, USA

Last edited by Loopy; June 18th, 2010 at 12:04 AM.
Loopy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2007, 07:37 PM   #298
Chitowner245

^ It'd be cool to see if someone could design and art deco/ classical building with a tad bit of modernist glass work with it in this city. There isn't much of anything like that here besides the spaceship that landed in my beautiful soldier field. So I agree, it is tiresome to see so much glass. Bring back steel and stone, architects- please!
Chitowner245 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2007, 07:52 PM   #299
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

AT&T Center? NBC Tower? Harold Washington Library Center?
Old August 5th, 2007, 09:33 PM   #300
The Urban Politician
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitowner245 View Post
^ It'd be cool to see if someone could design and art deco/ classical building with a tad bit of modernist glass work with it in this city. There isn't much of anything like that here besides the spaceship that landed in my beautiful soldier field. So I agree, it is tiresome to see so much glass. Bring back steel and stone, architects- please!
^ I would have to agree that there does seem to be an anti-masonry bias among our modernist architecture aficionados. While I actually love glass and steel highrises, there seems to be a complete disdain for structures not predominated by these two elements.

I would really like to see a creative, modernist reuse of concrete and stone that doesn't simply cheaply replicate older forms, but what would that be? Marina City certainly fits that category.