daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 16th, 2005, 05:29 AM   #21
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

Well doing a search for it I came up with "N. Turek & Sons Supply Co."
Does that mean something to you?
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 22nd, 2005, 01:45 AM   #22
spyguy
Expert

I just finished revampling the list, completely changing the order and adding new photos and projects. What I'm really having difficulty with is the Education section. There's probably a LOT more out there that I've forgotten about, so if you know of something, please post it here so it can be added.
Old October 22nd, 2005, 02:08 AM   #23
Azn_chi_boi
BANNED

Likes (Received): 12

Can someone explain Queen's landing?

Azn_chi_boi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2005, 02:11 AM   #24
rgolch

Likes (Received): 83

Any way to transplant this list to be on skyscraperpage.com also.
rgolch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2005, 02:17 AM   #25
spyguy
Expert

I was thinking of adding it to skyscraperpage, but what I think I'll do is wait for Chicago Shawn to clean up the "Mini Boom- under 12 stories" and then ask him to make a section for it on the front page perhaps.
Old October 25th, 2005, 12:00 AM   #26
ChicagoLover

Likes (Received): 0

Driehaus Museum to open in 2006 in Nickerson Mansion

Since the Driehaus Awards were just announced, I was checking out the Driehaus website, when I stumbled upon an announcement of a new museum to display Mr. Driehaus's collection to the public in the Nickerson Mansion in River North. The Mansion used to house the Love Art Gallery. I'm not sure what happened to that. But I'm very excited to learn that Chicago is apparently about to gain a house museum.

At the moment, I can't think of a single "house museum" in Chicago. (edit: wow I'm spaced out.. plenty of house museums that are architectural masterworks, e.g. Robie House, Glessner House, and FLW Home & Studio). But I guess few if any that are mainly there for the purpose of looking at the art on the walls, in addition to the architecture.) There are those that are the size of a small house (e.g. Smart Museum at UofC), but none that occupy a bona fide residence.

House museums are a lot of fun in that art is being displayed within the context of where it might be appreciated privately. I think there's more of a feeling of exclusivity to them, as if, upon being noticed peering into the luxurious living room of a Gold Coast townhouse, you had suddenly been invited in by the owner.

This sounds like really great news. New York has its JP Morgan mansion, which is excellent. Now Chicago can have one of its own.

Last edited by ChicagoLover; October 25th, 2005 at 12:06 AM.
ChicagoLover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2005, 05:44 AM   #27
wickedestcity
BANNED

Likes (Received): 26

NEW YORK (ANA/P.Panagiotou) - Athens Mayor Dora Bakoyannis laid the foundation stone of a building that will house the Greek Museum and Cultural Centre in Chicago on Monday.

Bakoyannis referred to the significance of preserving Greek traditions and heritage and passing it unto younger generations in a speech she gave during the ceremony.

During her visit to Chicago, Bakoyannis met with the city's mayor Richard Daley with whom she discussed further strengthening of cooperation between the twin cities of Greece and the US.

On Monday evening she was due to arrive in Washington where she will meet with US government officials, Washington's mayor Anthony Williams and members of Congress.
wickedestcity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2005, 07:09 PM   #28
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Likes (Received): 887

They've been cleaning exterior of the Nickerson Mansion for the past year.
BVictor1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2005, 11:31 PM   #29
spyguy
Expert

Ah- I was looking for information on the Greek Museum ceremony. I'll add the Nickerson Mansion thing too.
Old October 29th, 2005, 12:09 AM   #30
spyguy
Expert

Update: 10/28/05- added Nickerson Mansion and Pacific Garden.
Old October 29th, 2005, 02:31 AM   #31
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

^I'm liking your list, Spyguy.

You may want to add renderings for that Creative Performing arts Center on 79th st. What was that called? I'll try to find out what it is and get back to you...

Oh, and the new arts center in Beverly--the Beverly Arts Center, another nice one, just recently built.

Art and Chicago go hand and hand. That's for sure
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2005, 02:35 AM   #32
edsg25
BANNED

Likes (Received): 105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azn_chi_boi
Can someone explain Queen's landing?

Azn, I wasn't sure if you meant the name or the design. If you mean the name, this is where Queen Elizabeth II came assure in 1959 (I believe) on a trip to Canada and the US to commemorate the openning of the St. Lawrence Seaway.
edsg25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2005, 05:52 PM   #33
wickedestcity
BANNED

Likes (Received): 26

The Museum of Broadcast Communications Receives $250,000 Grant From the Tawani Foundation

CHICAGO, Nov. 23 /PRNewswire/ -- The Tawani Foundation has awarded The
Museum of Broadcast Communications (MBC) $250,000 to fund a digitization
initiative that will make more than 600 programs on U.S. military issues
available to the public, both onsite and online. The grant will also support
two public programs exploring the media and the military.
"The Tawani Foundation shares the MBC's passion for collecting, preserving
and presenting significant moments in radio and television history, and many
of those moments relate to military history," said Bruce DuMont, MBC Founder
and President. "The Foundation also has passion for making important content
available for public access and debate and this partnership will allow the MBC
and the Tawani Foundation to meet its mission of education," DuMont added.
Edward Tracy, Executive Director of the Tawani Foundation, said, "Since
its inception in 1987, The Museum of Broadcast Communications has provided
superb resources for archiving broadcast media, developed strong educational
programming and has positioned itself for the transformational media worlds.
Tawani Foundation is proud to form this partnership with the MBC for the study
of U.S. military history."
The MBC has a diverse audio-visual collection of documentaries, national
news programs, and radio reports focusing on U.S. military history (World War
II, Vietnam War, and Persian Gulf War). Thanks to the grant from the Tawani
Foundation, this collection will be part of the Museum's digital library.
The digitized programs from the Museum's U.S. Military History collection
will be available on-site at the new MBC at 360 N. State Street, scheduled to
open in late 2006. Digitized programs will be available on the Ground Floor
(both in the Media Cafe and the A.C. Nielsen Media Research Center), and key
programs will be part of the third-floor exhibit exploring the genre of News.
The Pritzker Military Library, supported by the Tawani Foundation, will
also have access to the entire collection of digitized programs relating to
U.S. Military History. Select programs from the U.S. Military History
collection will also be available online at http://www.Museum.TV , which
receives over 4 million visitors a year.
The Tawani Foundation promotes knowledge and understanding through the
direct support of individuals and organizations dedicated to historical
preservation, health and wellness, and environmental conservation.
The Museum of Broadcast Communications is one of three broadcast museums
in the United States. Currently, it is building a new 70,000-square-foot home
at State and Kinzie streets in downtown Chicago. The new MBC will include new
interactive exhibit galleries, expanded archives with a media cafe, working
radio and television studios, and a gift shop.
wickedestcity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2005, 09:06 PM   #34
ThirdCoast312

This was a project that was proposed back in May. I'm doubtful any thing will happen, but i'm always coool with any studio gang building.

From the Chicagoist.com

Steel Mill Museum Comes Closer to Reality

When Chicagoist told you a few months back about a plan to convert Southeastern Chicago's abandoned Acme Steel Coke Plant into a museum, the scheme was fraught with big questions and few specifics. Things have taken giant steps forward for the project in recent months, however, culminating last night as architects unveiled a series of plans revealing the shape of things to come.

The Acme site offers about 100,000 square feet of exhibit space, and it's looking they'll be using all of it to cram in everything planned for the museum. According to the vision of Studio Gang architects (could this be the coolest name for an architecture firm ever?), plant buildings would maintain names related to their original function and house exhibits focusing on steel production and labor, as well as vocational classrooms and even a cafe (atop the coal ovens, naturally). The grounds of the mill are expected to be populated by plants that will help rid the earth of toxins left by years of industry presence, as well as a lab building for scientists to study these plants. Talk about a multi-use facility...

As for the mill itself, Chicago's Steel Heritage Project (the group of union leaders, steelworkers, historians and businesses that have joined together to drive this project forward) secured the site for the project three months ago through a $37,500 down payment. The mill and surrounding areas must now undergo environmental inspection for hazardous residues such as tar and oil, and though cleanup costs are expected to reach into the million dollar range, they will likely be covered by the state and federal grants that are helping this project become a reality.

Oh, one other issue standing in the way: an ordinance that calls for the coke plant and grounds to be used only for industrial or waste development (and, um, not museums). Tenth Ward Alderman John Pope expressed initial concerns about the museum project's site a few months back, but has not yet indicated which way his decision will fall regarding the zoning issue.
ThirdCoast312 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 23rd, 2005, 11:24 PM   #35
spyguy
Expert

That would be pretty cool. And if Studio Gang is designing it should be a gem.
Old November 24th, 2005, 01:57 AM   #36
Frumie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdCoast312
From the Chicagoist.com

Steel Mill Museum Comes Closer to Reality

Oh, one other issue standing in the way: an ordinance that calls for the coke plant and grounds to be used only for industrial or waste development (and, um, not museums). Tenth Ward Alderman John Pope expressed initial concerns about the museum project's site a few months back, but has not yet indicated which way his decision will fall regarding the zoning issue.
Looks like Alderman John Pope has got his shakedown working.
Old November 24th, 2005, 06:03 PM   #37
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdCoast312
This was a project that was proposed back in May. I'm doubtful any thing will happen, but i'm always coool with any studio gang building..
^Thanks Third Coast. I think the idea of a Steel Museum is a great one. Chicago is in perfect position to develop a museum devoted to the great industrial era of America.
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2005, 06:32 PM   #38
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2762

Steel Mill Museum Comes Closer to Reality..............

Johannesburg has something I visited akin to this that is a quasi amusement park/musuam that is located in an old gold mining site. I would say it is something like an outdoor Museum of science and Industry type of deal. Lots of interactive stuff that has to do with lots of heavy industry stuff as part of an educational and fun experiance. Something like that would be cool.
nomarandlee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2005, 02:03 AM   #39
spyguy
Expert

Well this is great...not

http://www.crainschicagobusiness.com...ws.pl?id=18636

Ald. Tillman quashes site for $135M center
Salvation Army's 25-acre project was to be adjacent to Robert Taylor Homes

The Salvation Army’s plans for a 25-acre, $135 million community center adjacent to the Robert Taylor Homes have been quashed by the site’s alderman, according to Lt. Col. David Grindle, the Army’s top Chicago official.

Mr. Grindle said that Ald. Dorothy Tillman objected to the project because she said her ward would be better served by retail and grocery stores on the site. He said he didn’t know if Ms. Tillman had lined up any potential retailers for the property.

Ald. Tillman didn’t return repeated phone calls for comment by deadline.

The project became public in spring 2004, when the Army’s Chicago chapter announced that it had received about $90 million from the estate of late McDonald’s Corp. heiress Joan Kroc.

Details weren’t – and still aren’t — set, but Army officials said the facility would be similar to scale to the original Kroc-funded center in San Diego, which features a gymnasium, ball fields, a skating rink, and a performing arts center.

Army officials said at the time that they were particularly excited about the symbolic value of erecting such a facility adjacent to the Taylor Homes, which for decades were known as one of the nation’s most hopelessly impoverished housing projects.

Mr. Grindle said Ms. Tillman had mentioned the prospect of a retail alternative in the past, but that those objections intensified greatly during the last two weeks.

“This came up, I’ll admit, rather recently,” he said. “But there are concurrent needs in the neighborhood, and it’s the alderman’s responsibility to balance them.”

Mr. Grindle says the Army’s next task to find a similar site and conduct due diligence in front of a Feb. 17 deadline from the national Salvation Army. “We’ll need a site with at least 20 acres in an area of great need that has adequate public transportation and visibility,” he says. “We’ve asked the planning department to find us seven or eight optimal locations.”

The latest developments also represent a setback for Mayor Richard M. Daley, who had personally recruited a fundraising board for the project, and worked with the Department of Housing and Urban Development to have the land to build it on transferred to the Salvation Army.

At the initial announcement of the project, Mr. Daley said: "It will be one of the largest social service facilities ever built in the state of Illinois. It will be a significant anchor on the south end of State Street . . . a beacon of hope in people's lives."

A spokeswoman for the mayor’s office referred repeated inquiries to the Department of Planning and Development. "We remain committed to the project," says a spokeswoman for the city's planning department. "We want it built in Chicago."
Old November 30th, 2005, 02:38 AM   #40
ChicagoLover

I cannot believe this. Space better used for retail???? Since Taylor homes were torn down, that area is basically 70% vacant lots. Am I wrong? Forgive me, but Dorothy Tillman sounds like a complete idiot. Something about looking a gift horse in the mouth.
ChicagoLover no está en línea   Reply With Quote