daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 21st, 2008, 02:25 PM   #461
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2761

Children's Museum

oh well I put the United merger news by accident here so may as well replace it with the Sun-Times take on the new Reilly proposals for the Children's museum's location....

Quote:

http://www.suntimes.com/news/politic...seum21.article

Alderman: 24 places fine for kids museum
42ND WARD | Reilly hopes to keep it out of Grant Park site

February 21, 2008

BY FRAN SPIELMAN AND ANDREW HERRMANN Staff Reporters
Eager to avoid a City Council showdown with Mayor Daley, rebel rookie Ald. Brendan Reilly (42nd) has presented the Children's Museum with a list of two dozen alternatives to the mayor's controversial plan to build a $40 million Children's Museum in Grant Park.

......Ald. Reilly's alternatives
Here are the alternative sites Ald. Brendan Reilly (42nd) suggested for a new Children's Museum:

* Museum Campus
* Northerly Island
* Logan Square
* Garfield Park Conservatory
* Pritzker Park
* Washington Park
* Bronzeville
* Calumet Park
* Englewood
* State and Van Buren
* McCormick Place East
* Museum of Broadcast History
* Chicago Riverwalk (South Bank at Lake Michigan)
* Michigan and Roosevelt (South Loop)
* Notebaert Nature Museum (Lincoln Park)
* Lincoln Park Zoo (adjacent to zoo)
* Old U.S. Post Office
* Chicago Athletic Association (South Michigan Ave.)
* Carson Pirie Scott Building (State Street)
* Former Brach's Candy Factory
* U.S. Cellular Field (adjacent to ballpark)
* Expansion on Navy Pier
* Montrose Park
* 1 S. Dearborn (50 percent vacant)

Last edited by nomarandlee; February 21st, 2008 at 02:36 PM. Reason: put wrong article in wrong section.
nomarandlee no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 21st, 2008, 05:18 PM   #462
asauterChicago

Likes (Received): 1

^ Actually the Alderman has a good point, some of those locations would be an excellent place to put the museum over Grant Park. I kind of like the Carson Pirie Scott building, it would bring people down there for other than shopping and maybe bring in some new business and foot traffic on State.
asauterChicago no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2008, 02:19 AM   #463
PrintersRowBoiler

Seems hypocritical to offer some of these suggestions. While technically constructing a building in Grant Park violates the restrictions set aside by the City's forefathers on the original plat, the opposition that drove Reilly to not excersize his aldermanic perogative was based around the traffic and the number of school buses from the residents along Randolph. Suggesting that 1 S Dearborn, State and Monroe, and State and Van Buren would be good locations is hypocritical if school buses are a concern because no one wants them stalled on State Street. It also does not make sense that he would offer locations in other people's wards in the same breath.

I do like the idea of placing it near the Chicago Riverwalk (access from lower Wacker for buses) and near the Museum Campus. I doubt the Pritzkers want it outside of the central downtown area. A great location in my opinion is the northwest corner of Roosevelt and Michigan. This corner needs something and is outside the limits of the building restrictions in Grant Park. A plan to hide parking and bus areas at the lower track grade and covering the tracks south of 11th could be a win-win-win for everyone.
PrintersRowBoiler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2008, 07:50 AM   #464
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrintersRowBoiler View Post
A great location in my opinion is the northwest corner of Roosevelt and Michigan. This corner needs something and is outside the limits of the building restrictions in Grant Park. A plan to hide parking and bus areas at the lower track grade and covering the tracks south of 11th could be a win-win-win for everyone.
You must mean the northeast corner? The northwest corner is the Columbian.

I like the idea, but it would remove Central Station's direct park frontage. Also, I'm kind of enamored with the idea of a "Tavern on the Green" style restaurant there.

What about one of the vacant lots in Streeterville? The one between NBC Tower and the river has lower street levels, and so does the one next to Tribune Tower.
ardecila no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2008, 02:20 AM   #465
PrintersRowBoiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
You must mean the northeast corner? The northwest corner is the Columbian.

I like the idea, but it would remove Central Station's direct park frontage. Also, I'm kind of enamored with the idea of a "Tavern on the Green" style restaurant there.

What about one of the vacant lots in Streeterville? The one between NBC Tower and the river has lower street levels, and so does the one next to Tribune Tower.
You are right... I meant the northeast corner... although I was envisioning a building no taller than 2-3 levels.

Isn't the lot between NBC and the River the lot planned for Carley's next tower? Even if it is not, the Children's Musuem likely could not afford the $60M price tag for the land.
PrintersRowBoiler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2008, 04:42 AM   #466
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrintersRowBoiler View Post
Isn't the lot between NBC and the River the lot planned for Carley's next tower? Even if it is not, the Children's Musuem likely could not afford the $60M price tag for the land.
No. Carley/Reschke were planning a JV that became the Waldorf=Astoria. They may have been involved in the proposal for the rental tower next to W=A, too.

I have no idea what's currently planned for the site south of NBC, but I saw renderings for something called the "Sunbelt Office Tower", a now-canceled proposal. The owner is probably just sitting on the land and taking in the revenue from the surface lot there. They can afford to charge steeply for the parking in that lot - Jerry Springer parks there.
Old February 28th, 2008, 11:18 PM   #467
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

Columbia's Media Production Center

Columbia College’s new media production center combines large film and animation studios with classrooms and workshops on an urban campus. As the first new building for Columbia College, it will provide the facilities to fortify the school’s competitive edge in film-making and animation, as well as highlight the College’s design-forward identity.

Light is used to animate movement throughout the space, calling attention to the connection between the choreographing of architecture space and the medium of filmmaking. The primary façade on State Street is activated by a double-height projection/ viewing area and various types of classrooms and production areas, linked by a ramped circulation route. The plan is organized to maximize use of indoor and outdoor space to the advantage of film-making and viewing, and also provide space for students in different disciplines to interact.
The building is on track for LEED Silver certification; it will feature 50% green roof area and will strive to promote more sustainable practices in both building and film-making.

spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2008, 09:56 AM   #468
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

I expected something 4 stories tall, not this... at least it will add vitality to the street, but it relates to the old scale of the South Loop that is quickly being replaced by something much larger.
Old February 29th, 2008, 04:53 PM   #469
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

Is that an outdoor big screen that I'm seeing? I wonder if they will hold outdoor films/film festivals with that?
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2008, 07:55 PM   #470
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

Likes (Received): 10

This little stretch will remain low-scale, with the police station, Daystar School, etc. For some reason, the city wants to keep this little "industrial" area in between the St. Charles Air Line and 18th St. Plus this building is primarily a big sound stage. Column-free. That makes it tricky to put anything on top.
Mr Downtown no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2008, 01:51 AM   #471
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
This little stretch will remain low-scale, with the police station, Daystar School, etc. For some reason, the city wants to keep this little "industrial" area in between the St. Charles Air Line and 18th St. Plus this building is primarily a big sound stage. Column-free. That makes it tricky to put anything on top.
Right, but I expected the ceilings in the sound stage to be fairly tall... ~30 feet or so. I guess not.

I'm sure that the reason the area is still industrial is somehow connected to Pat Dowell.
Old March 1st, 2008, 06:53 AM   #472
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

Pat Dowell wasn't elected until last February. And it wasn't even in the Third Ward until 2001.

Back in the 90s, Wicklander Printing wanted a protected manufacturing district. They were hoist on their own petard when they decided to sell the property and make a killing. The city wouldn't approve residential there, and they ended up selling to Daystar School.
Old March 1st, 2008, 07:41 AM   #473
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 203

Has anyone had a chance to see the Edward Hopper/Winslow Homer exhibit? It was well worth the ten bucks I paid for my ticket. One of my favorite Hopper paintings:

Last edited by i_am_hydrogen; March 1st, 2008 at 07:53 AM.
i_am_hydrogen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2008, 05:34 PM   #474
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

I tried to go Thursday but tickets were unavailable.
Old March 2nd, 2008, 02:48 AM   #475
Chitowner245

Likes (Received): 0

I went to the exhibit yesterday- very cool.
Chitowner245 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2008, 04:19 AM   #476
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

I plan to go, but I haven't bought my tickets yet. I checked today - basically every Saturday is sold out between now and the end of the exhibit on May 10.

I guess I'll have to find time on a weekday - Edward Hopper is basically my favorite American painter.

For those that have been - is the Art Institute selling prints of anything besides Nighthawks?
Old March 2nd, 2008, 05:56 AM   #477
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

A Hopper/architecture connection:

If I understood correctly, the Illinois Historic Preservation Agency has had plans drawn up for the construction of the building shown in Hopper's "Early Sunday Morning":

The idea would be to recreate it in some small Illinois city that needs to fill in a gap in its downtown streetscape.
Old April 4th, 2008, 12:56 AM   #478
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 203

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...,1128317.story

Showdown expected after Children's Museum filing
Controversial new facility sought in Daley Bicentennial Plaza

By Dan Mihalopoulos and Noreen S. Ahmed-Ullah | Tribune reporters
1:05 PM CDT, April 3, 2008

The Chicago Children's Museum announced Thursday it has filed its application with the city to move to a new building in Grant Park, setting up a showdown with neighbors who oppose the controversial plan.

The museum's plans to relocate have been controversial from the beginning. Three years ago, the museum said it wanted to move from Navy Pier to Daley Bicentennial Plaza at the northeast corner of Grant Park. Since then, it has found critics in the residents of high-rises across the street from the site, Ald. Brendan Reilly (42nd) and civic groups who oppose any buildings in the park. The fight flared last fall and picked up again last month as the museum hired a public-relations firm to begin its push for approval.
i_am_hydrogen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2008, 02:32 PM   #479
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2761

Northerly Island

Well the Northerly Island thread is in the archives and Parks thread is not to be found by me so................

Quote:
http://www.suntimes.com/news/politic...park07.article

Parks may lease island assets
MEIGS FIELD SITE | It would raise cash to turn site of airstrip into nature park

April 7, 2008Recommend

BY FRAN SPIELMAN AND ANDREW HERRMANN Staff Reporters

The Chicago Park District board president is hinting the agency might lease assets to help pay for the transformation of the former Meigs Field into a nature park.

In the coming days, the park district is expecting to sign an agreement with the the urban and landscape design firm JJR LLC to formulate redevelopment plans of the 91-acre Northerly Island peninsula just east of Soldier Field, park officials say.

............The idea is to make the south end of Northerly more natural with trees and other plantings with the north end focused more on active use, Biagi said.

"We're not being that prescriptive [to LLC]. There will be a way to move through the park on bicycle and on foot. Do we need to have some sort of intermodal form of transportation? . . . Those are the kind of ideas we want them to look at,'' she said.

..........She suggested the volleyball facility might have a post-Games life as a music venue.
Looking at the Burnham plan and a photo aerial today I think consideration for extending the southern tip eastwards with infill to creat another penisula so it makes an L which could provide more green space and lake.

The northern end I think will likely always feel more like an extension of the museum campus and Burnham harbor anyhow no matter what is done.

I would also hope they would consider keeping the bike velodrome on the northen end or somewhere in that area along the lakefront as well.
Old April 18th, 2008, 05:31 AM   #480
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

Never saw this posted..

Museum plans to put the oohs and aahs back in science
After makeover, visitors can walk through a tornado or make their own rainbows

A Museum of Science and Industry model illustrates how the planned "You! The Experience" health exhibit would look. The new exhibit would benefit from the museum's fundraising campaign. (Tribune photo by Scott Strazzante / April 16, 2008)

By William Mullen | Tribune reporter
10:56 PM CDT, April 16, 2008
Article tools
The Museum of Science and Industry announced plans Wednesday to revamp some of its largest, most familiar exhibit spaces as a part of a major effort to spur children's interest in science and improve science education in schools.

By 2011, 90 percent of the museum will be new or substantially changed from what it was in 2000, officials said in announcing a hefty $205 million fundraising drive.
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote