daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 20th, 2008, 06:01 AM   #481
edsg25
BANNED

Likes (Received): 105

thanks, Urban. I missed this story, so it was nice to catch it here.

seems a little strange though: that is a massive redevelopment project, one of the type of magnitude that usually includes additional space along with redeveloped space. that raises questions in my mind if newer exhibits, certainly great to see, will come at the expense of good exhibits in the current space.
edsg25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 20th, 2008, 09:58 AM   #482
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Likes (Received): 2

Depends on what you define as "good exhibits". Pretty much everything on the second floor (balcony level) is pretty shabby - 15-year-old computers that barely work, fading paint, and even a musty smell. Their design also presents a lot of information without really being interactive. There are also several rooms off of the balcony with closed exhibits that could be used for brand-new ones.

The main floor has a lot of really good, newly-built exhibits (and I desperately hope that Yesterday's Main Street stays) but there is a good bit of underutilized space in the basement, especially in the area dealing with environmental issues (power generation, water management, etc.) This is one of the fastest-moving, and most relevant, areas of science, and I'd hate to think the museum is presenting outdated information, especially as environmental issues become a populist cause.

I think the museum's goal is to bring more people in. They spent many millions of dollars building an underground garage that is never more than 2/3 full, and that's on their busiest days. I'm sure they want their garage to be full, and the only way to do that is to build enough attractions (I mean, exhibits....) to spread all those people throughout the museum.
ardecila no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2008, 06:05 AM   #483
BorisMolotov

Likes (Received): 9

One of their new exhibits, iDesign, is something I am currently involved in. My class at school submitted three proposals. The whole exhibit showcases a new energy-solving technology with the exhibit designed by high school students. I hope mine wins!
BorisMolotov no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2008, 08:11 AM   #484
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

http://chicagojournal.com/main.asp?S...09&TM=4389.995

Easing a lakefront congestion point
An underpass beneath Solidarity Drive

By MICAH MAIDENBERG

Just south of the Shedd Aquarium, the lakefront bicycle and pedestrian path intersects with Solidarity Dr., a street leading to the Adler Planetarium that features two east- and two west-bound lanes separated by a median strip.
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2008, 08:13 AM   #485
spyguy
Expert

http://chicagojournal.com/main.asp?S...78&TM=4389.995

From Film Row to modern media
Columbia College’s Media Production Center

By MICAH MAIDENBERG

...At its tallest point, the Media Production Center will be 30 feet high. Both of the windowless sound stages will be located on the west side of the parcel, with a multi-colored glass lobby slated for the State Street side. The lobby will house a 25-foot terra cotta arch salvaged from the building that once housed the Famous Players-Lasky Corporation, a film company located at 1327 S. Wabash during the neighborhood's Film Row days.
Old May 4th, 2008, 10:49 PM   #486
spyguy
Expert

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...,4711971.story

Sculpture returns, but artist not happy
By Ameet Sachdev
April 25, 2008

A restored 43-foot sculpture resembling a totem pole is back on public display on Michigan Avenue, against the wishes of the artist.

Yaacov Agam, a 79-year-old Israeli artist known for his multicolored abstract images, is upset he did not have control over the restoration of his work and has been fighting to prevent its reinstallation. He says the piece should be redone because the restoration is inferior and no longer represents his work.
Old May 4th, 2008, 10:51 PM   #487
spyguy
Expert

http://www.chicagotribune.com/servic...,1404396.story

Art Institute acquires new works

Alan Artner
May 2, 2008

Important works by Robert Gober and Donald Judd are the Art Institute of Chicago's most recent contemporary acquisitions in preparation for next year's opening of its Modern Wing. Gober's untitled, 10-part installation created from 1989 to 1996 has been declared the artist's most important early statement. Judd's untitled sculpture from 1976 is the only indoor work triangular in shape in the artist's output.
Old May 5th, 2008, 08:48 PM   #488
maxwellimus

Likes (Received): 0

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/05/ar...5muti-web.html

Muti Named New Director at Chicago Symphony
By DANIEL J. WAKIN
Published: May 5, 2008

The Chicago Symphony Orchestra has lured Riccardo Muti, one of a dwindling band of podium eminences.
maxwellimus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2008, 05:09 AM   #489
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 203

Art Institute expansion (taken today):
i_am_hydrogen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2008, 08:41 PM   #490
spyguy
Expert

Old May 11th, 2008, 10:11 AM   #491
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Likes (Received): 2

Art Institute Modern Wing - Nichols Bridgeway

May 10, 2008

ardecila no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2008, 12:05 AM   #492
spyguy
Expert

The Joe and Rika Mansueto Library

Old May 13th, 2008, 07:38 PM   #493
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Tres interesante. It will definitely help calm the stark brutality of the Regenstein's facade.
Old May 15th, 2008, 05:17 PM   #494
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

I've always had a thing for gilded-age-mansion museums. Good to see this happening:

Mansion now a museum
After a major rehab, a Near North Side landmark is opening its doors to showcase a collection of opulent furnishings
By Robert Mitchum | Tribune reporter
May 15, 2008

Soon after the Nickerson Mansion was built on Chicago's Near North Side in the early 1880s, its light-gray sandstone exterior became encrusted with soot and grime from nearby coal-burning factories.

More than a century later, that ornate facade was restored to its original color by laser treatment, part of a five-year restoration process that will culminate in the mansion's public opening next month as the Richard H. Driehaus Museum.
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2008, 05:56 PM   #495
i_am_hydrogen
muted

^Here's a photo from Lynn Becker's blog, while restoration was still ongoing:

And to think, River North was once a treasure trove of similarly charming low and mid-rise buildings. Today, it's infested with post-modern schlock.
Old May 15th, 2008, 06:02 PM   #496
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Chicago Children's Museum - Spaghetti Bowl East?

by Lynn Becker
May 12, 2008

This is the underside of the "Spaghetti Bowl", a/k/a the Circle Interchange of highway ramps along Congress between Halsted Street and the old Main Post Office:

. . . and this is a just released rendering of the design the Chicago Children's Museum is seeking to clout into Grant Park. (You can see three new renderings released by the museum Monday on Chicago Tribune architectural critic Blair Kamin's The Skyline blog, here.)

http://arcchicago.blogspot.com/2008/...etti-bowl.html

Last edited by i_am_hydrogen; May 15th, 2008 at 10:10 PM.
Old May 15th, 2008, 08:42 PM   #497
UrbanSophist

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
The Joe and Rika Mansueto Library
I like.
UrbanSophist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2008, 05:19 PM   #498
Flubnut
4th Level of Hades

Likes (Received): 5

Modern Wing looking good:

Flubnut no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2008, 09:11 AM   #499
Second City
Loyola University

Likes (Received): 3

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...,3560032.story

Chicago zoning board OKs Children's Museum move, but opponents sue to halt plan
Full City Council could vote on proposal Wednesday

By Dan Mihalopoulos and Noreen S. Ahmed-Ullah | Tribune reporters
11:16 PM CDT, June 5, 2008

In a break from the tradition of giving aldermen ultimate say in their wards, a City Council panel Thursday joined Mayor Richard Daley in backing a proposal to build a new children's museum in Grant Park.

Disregarding the opposition of Ald. Brendan Reilly, whose 42nd Ward includes the proposed project site, the council's Zoning Committee voted 6-3 for the $100 million project to move the Chicago Children's Museum from Navy Pier to the northern edge of the city's iconic, central park.

To the dismay of the vocal and highly organized anti-museum lobby, the project is now positioned for a final vote by the full council Wednesday.

With their political efforts to fight City Hall appearing to founder against the mayor's dominance of the council, foes on Thursday initiated their long-promised legal battle.
Old June 6th, 2008, 04:48 PM   #500
Mr Downtown
Urbane observer

Likes (Received): 10

Actually, the only "legal battle" begun is a small procedural one over notice and hearing requirements for the Plan Commission meeting. The real battle, asking for enforcement of the Ward injunction, would not occur until the project has city council approval.
Mr Downtown no está en línea   Reply With Quote