daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 13th, 2009, 10:46 PM   #561
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2761

If I was a big shot donor I would rather sign off on some visible exquisite architecture rather then a glorified hole in the ground.

Sponsored Links
Old July 16th, 2009, 07:16 PM   #562
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

Looks like the long-delayed Advanced Chemical Technologies Building at UIC will now move forward.

http://www.chicagojournal.com/News/0...e_capital_bill

Local impact of the capital bill
07/15/2009 10:00 PM

...Among the big Near West Side winners in the bill is the University of Illinois-Chicago, which will get $57.6 million to plan, construct and equip a new chemical sciences building.
---

I think this was the rendering from years ago.
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2009, 03:13 AM   #563
spyguy
Expert

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...,7136721.story

University of Chicago Medical Center moving forward with plans for hospital pavilion
Hospital to issue bonds to raise funds through Illinois Finance Authority

By Bruce Japsen
July 23, 2009

The University of Chicago Medical Center is forging ahead with a major financing plan to pay for a large part of its new hospital pavilion in the face of a turbulent economy that has triggered layoffs and spending reductions at the facility this year.

The South Side teaching hospital early next month plans to issue bonds to raise $225 million through the Illinois Finance Authority to support the university's capital projects, "highlighted by the construction of a new patient tower pavilion on the main campus," according to a report released last week by Moody's Investors Service.
-----

http://chronicle.uchicago.edu/090611/quad.shtml

Summer project aimed at making Main Quadrangles more pedestrian-friendly
By William Harms

The heart of campus will be friendlier to pedestrians and more accessible to everyone next fall, after a three-month project on the University’s Main Quadrangles.

Beginning shortly after the end of the Spring Quarter, workers will replace the current stone paths with more even walkways whose pavers capture the historic feel of the quads while improving access for people with disabilities. While construction is under way, users of the Main Quadrangles will have to use alternative routes to some buildings and passageways.

A project that begins this summer will replace quadrangle streets and sidewalks with pedestrian-friendly walkways. The work will be done by September.
Old July 24th, 2009, 07:46 PM   #564
NearNorthGuy

Likes (Received): 4

It seems that the sidewalk will still be too wide. I realize that they might want to have campus security cars driving on these walkways, but the thing could be narrower and allow a car to use the walk.
NearNorthGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2009, 02:02 PM   #565
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Is there still an official parks development thread in the forum?

Quote:
http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/1...arks13.article

Park Dist. OKs 2 new lakefront harbors

$110M | Could serve displaced boaters if city gets '16 Games
Comments

August 13, 2009

BY LISA DONOVAN Staff Reporter [email protected]

Construction of two new harbors along Chicago's lakefront could begin next year as part of a long-term plan to double the number of slips.

It's also designed as a short-term option for boaters displaced from Monroe Harbor should the city win the 2016 Summer Olympics.

One new harbor would go in at 31st Street, south of the proposed Olympic Village. A second, smaller "Gateway Harbor" would be created south of Navy Pier and north of the Chicago River, according to a plan approved Wednesday by the Chicago Park District Board.

The price tag for the two harbors is put at $110 million.

Construction costs will be paid for by an alternative revenue bond, covered by boat owners who buy the slips over the next 20 years, said Park District Supt. Timothy J. Mitchell, who says the harbors are moneymakers.

In all, 1,115 slips will be added.

The project would go out for bids this fall.

The project must be approved by agencies including the Army Corps of Engineers and the Environmental Protection Agency.
Old September 11th, 2009, 03:59 PM   #566
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
http://www.suntimes.com/news/cityhal...side11.article

New harbors near pier, 31st St. set to get lots of bells, whistles

$110 MIL. PROJECT | Restaurants, trams, remote parking, shuttle proposed
Comments

September 11, 2009

BY FRAN SPIELMAN AND LISA DONOVAN Staff Reporters

Chicago is getting a sneak peak at two new lakefront harbors that will create more than 1,100 new slips and absorb boaters displaced from Monroe Harbor if Chicago wins the 2016 Olympic sweepstakes.

The 240-slip Gateway Harbor south of Navy Pier includes plans for a new Navy Pier park "to be developed by others," a "transit circulator" serving multiple stations and "on-pier trams" operating in "designated tram lanes," according to a zoning application filed at this week's City Council meeting.

The north dock would be at Navy Pier's Festival Hall; the south dock at the Family Pavilion. New restaurants, kiosks and harbor facilities would be provided in two new buildings on the east and west sides of the new harbor.

Remote parking and shuttle buses would divert traffic away from already congested Navy Pier.

The new 31st Street marina with space for 840 boats would include a new restaurant, lakefront community center and parking for 300 cars. The sleek new building designed by Brook Architecture includes a translucent glass curtain wall.
The two new harbors are the first to be built by the Chicago Park District in nearly a decade -- since Du Sable Harbor opened with 420 slips.

The $110 million project will be financed by a revenue bond retired by 20 years of boat mooring fees................
Old September 19th, 2009, 01:26 AM   #567
spyguy
Expert

31st Street

Old September 19th, 2009, 06:38 PM   #568
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Nice find spyguy. I am liking the designs of the boat houses just fine but it sure looks like Navy Pier will look congested. I would think it could detract from the vista if there are too many boats especially with the commercial piers that jut out.
Old September 20th, 2009, 03:43 AM   #569
Chitowner245

Likes (Received): 0

I absolutely love these plans. Anything to get more people using the lakefront- not sure I like the 300 parking spaces, but if the green roof works well with the surroundings I guess we can deal with it. I want chicago to interact with the water as much as possible- we're goin' marine! All I need to do is become a millionaire so I can boss a yacht or scooner.
Chitowner245 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2009, 05:48 AM   #570
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

^ I"m not a fan of open lakefront being marred by more boat slips.

I mean, I realize it's inevitable and all, but yachts and boat slips to me say "resort town in Florida" more than "international city"
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2009, 05:39 PM   #571
Flubnut
4th Level of Hades

Likes (Received): 5

As long as the ratio of marinas vs. open park land doesn't skew too much farther, I'm all for it. It would be ideal to build more inland marinas, or build up those anemic breakwalls into useable Northerly Island-type areas, but those are obviously way more costly than what's currently proposed.
Flubnut no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2009, 12:22 AM   #572
simulcra
Cynical post-collegiate

Likes (Received): 1

yet another reason why we need the olympics!

imho, concerns about overexposure to marinas and the like are a bit overdone. This is on the near south side, not near belmont harbor - if anything it helps equalize the uneven development of the lakeshore.

EDIT - whoops, didn't see the navy pier option

Last edited by simulcra; September 28th, 2009 at 07:02 PM.
simulcra no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2009, 01:23 AM   #573
spyguy
Expert

New South Campus Residence Hall and dining facility

University of Chicago Magazine/ flickr

University of Chicago Magazine/ flickr
Old September 22nd, 2009, 01:29 AM   #574
NearNorthGuy

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Urban Politician View Post
^ I"m not a fan of open lakefront being marred by more boat slips.

I mean, I realize it's inevitable and all, but yachts and boat slips to me say "resort town in Florida" more than "international city"
I share TUP's concern, not about 31st street, but about the site that is adjacent to Navy Pier. Remember that this site will be part of the famous vista that Navy Pier-goers see as they look toward the Loop or to the south. The marinas do create quite an obstruction to the view. I am not saying that it is terrible, but I would lean toward a smaller marina at the Navy Pier site, or perhaps a marina that only allows boats on the south side of that narrow walkway.

Last edited by NearNorthGuy; September 22nd, 2009 at 01:55 AM.
NearNorthGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2009, 10:46 PM   #575
CHIsentinel
padisha emperor

Likes (Received): 319

This thread needs a boost:
revised Reva and David Logan center for performing arts at the University of Chicago (sorry but this is the largest photo I can find)
CHIsentinel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2009, 07:03 PM   #576
simulcra
Cynical post-collegiate

Likes (Received): 1

Kinda makes me wish I had a scanner, as the latest uchicago alumni magazine had a larger pic of it.
Old October 7th, 2009, 03:12 AM   #577
spyguy
Expert

http://interactive.chicagobusiness.c...eline/private/

2009/10/05 University of Chicago - Center for Creative and Performing Arts 182,000-square-foot performing arts center, $46 million S Drexel Ave & E 60th St, Chicago, IL 60637, USA Cook

Here's Thom Mayne's losing design:

More here if you're interested
Old October 8th, 2009, 08:27 AM   #578
spyguy
Expert

Museum of Science and Industry

YOU! The Experience
YOU! The Experience brings these elements together into an interactive exhibit examining and celebrating the experience of life itself. It is one of the first and largest exhibitions to showcase the connection between the human mind, body and spirit in the 21st century.

Science Storms

evidence.design flickr
Old October 17th, 2009, 01:39 AM   #579
spyguy
Expert

New Chicago Theological Seminary - Nagle Hartray
60th and Dorchester

Unfortunately, the University is going to destroy the nearby community garden because they claim they need it as a construction staging area. The groundbreaking ceremony was yesterday although construction won't begin until March.

Update renderings of the hospital pavilion - Viñoly

Mansueto Library construction update (bottoming out)

University of Chicago Library/ flickr
Old October 17th, 2009, 05:49 PM   #580
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

^ Wow, a lot going on with the U of C campus.

I'm really looking forward to seeing that new hospital pavilion. It's massive!

Some really massive hospital expansions going on in Chicagoland right now.

I'm particularly fond of how the U of C hospital creates a powerful visual terminator for that street. You just don't see a lot of that nowadays anymore
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote