daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 18th, 2009, 04:35 AM   #581
simulcra
Cynical post-collegiate

Likes (Received): 1

I'd probably need to see it in context, but to me, given what the rest of the campus looks like, the hospital pavillion's massing looks overbearing.

Sponsored Links
Old October 18th, 2009, 08:56 PM   #582
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

Quote:
Originally Posted by simulcra View Post
I'd probably need to see it in context, but to me, given what the rest of the campus looks like, the hospital pavillion's massing looks overbearing.
It might just be the rendering. The first image makes it seem as if the hospital was plopped down on a park or something, when in reality 4 story buildings cover all of that green space. The new 10 story biomedical building is just to the east, as is the fairly tall Cummings center. So while this is a very large building, I don't think it's quite of out of place.
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2009, 09:24 PM   #583
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

Looks like the best architectural development in Chicago going on right now isn't downtown, it appears to be in the University of Chicago campus, Hyde Park.

Now if only we can get the Gang tower built down there cap it all off. If it's true that U of C wants to significantly expand its faculty, then most assuredly there should be a demand for more housing in the neighborhood. Lets keep our fingers crossed...
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2009, 05:28 AM   #584
spyguy
Expert

Famous Players -Lasky/ Paramount Pictures arch saved from 1327 S Wabash (Glashaus)

lilacolum/ flickr

lilacolum/ flickr
Old October 24th, 2009, 02:11 AM   #585
mohammed wong

Likes (Received): 10

^

where is that?
mohammed wong no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2009, 02:12 AM   #586
SouthLoopWanderer

Likes (Received): 0

It is the new Columbia College media center at State and 16th, South Loop. I believe Jeane Gang is the architect.
SouthLoopWanderer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2009, 01:19 AM   #587
spyguy
Expert

Obama presidential library: U of Chicago?

It'll be interesting to see not only where it is located, but if he'll go with a PoMo or more modern design.
Old October 27th, 2009, 01:39 AM   #588
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2761

I would prefer to see it go somewhere downtown but the UofC makes a worthy and very understandable second option.

Looking at the other Presidential libraries (including the new GWB renders) in my judgement they are relatively undistinguished and mediocre with the exception of Clinton's library which I think looks great.
Old October 27th, 2009, 08:46 PM   #589
Flubnut
4th Level of Hades

Likes (Received): 5

I remember reading an article about how the Obamas filled the White House with all sorts of modern/contemporary art. That gives me hope that the eventual library will be more cutting-edge, less PoMo.

Update - Sun Times article here: http://www.suntimes.com/news/politic...100709.article

Last edited by Flubnut; October 27th, 2009 at 08:48 PM. Reason: Found link to article
Flubnut no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2009, 06:15 PM   #590
SouthLoopWanderer

Spertus Institute hosts public meeting/workshop on future Northerly Island plans!

The Chicago Park District along with the Grant Park Advisory Council and Conservancy have scheduled a public meeting:

Northerly Island design workshop and input on ideas.

Tuesday, November 10, 2009
6:00 – 9:00 p.m.

http://chicagoismynewblog.wordpress....-island-plans/
SouthLoopWanderer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2009, 05:41 PM   #591
spyguy
Expert

Reva and David Logan Center for the Creative and Performing Arts

http://news.uchicago.edu/news.php?asset_id=1768

Detailed plans for Logan Arts Center to be unveiled Nov. 10

Architects Tod Williams and Billie Tsien will unveil detailed plans for the $100 million Reva and David Logan Center for the Creative and Performing Arts at 6 p.m. on Tuesday, Nov. 10 at the University of Chicago Law School. The event is free and open to the public.

The husband–and–wife team also will provide insight into the creative process that has elevated them to international acclaim as preeminent designers of public arts and culture spaces. Well–known for their elegant, modernist design and subtle integration of context, Williams and Tsien were selected in June 2007 to design the Logan Arts Center. This event will mark the first public viewing of their ambitious plans for the complex, which is slated to open in spring of 2012 south of Midway Plaisance.

The luminous glass and stone structure will have 170,000 square feet of space, bridging architecture and art and providing a framework for uniting artistic theory with practice—a hallmark of the University’s approach to the arts. Many departments and disciplines will share the facility, including visual arts, theater, music, as well as cinema and media studies. The structure will add much needed space to the University’s vibrant arts scene, and will feature studios, rehearsal space, director’s cut screening rooms, state–of–the art acoustical theaters, lecture rooms and set–building shops.

In addition, the center will serve as a southern gateway to campus, opening the University to its neighborhood and the city, and providing a place for distinguished local and international artists and scholars to create, debate, exhibit and perform.
Old November 9th, 2009, 10:12 PM   #592
spyguy
Expert

http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com/...et-honors.html

Museum of Broadcast Communications gets state money; others get honors
By Phil Rosenthal

Bruce DuMont on Saturday announced a $6 million appropriation from the cash-strapped state of Illinois that should facilitate completion of stalled construction on the Museum of Broadcast Communications.
Old November 9th, 2009, 11:50 PM   #593
The Urban Politician
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com/...et-honors.html

Museum of Broadcast Communications gets state money; others get honors
By Phil Rosenthal

Bruce DuMont on Saturday announced a $6 million appropriation from the cash-strapped state of Illinois that should facilitate completion of stalled construction on the Museum of Broadcast Communications.

Kinzie St is definitely one of the winners in this boom
Old November 10th, 2009, 12:35 AM   #594
Flubnut
4th Level of Hades

Likes (Received): 5

Really not what I want to spend my tax dollars on, but it'll be nice if they can finally finish that thing. Anything to fix the damn sidewalk along Kinzie.
Flubnut no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2009, 08:58 PM   #595
ChicagoismynewBlog

Plans take new look at Northerly Island
With 2016 dreams dashed, what should become of Meigs site?

November 10, 2009

BY LISA DONOVAN Staff Reporter [email protected]
A month after Mayor Daley’s Olympic team washed out in the race for the 2016 Games, the tide has shifted as planners focus on Northerly Island’s long-term place in the lakefront landscape.

Before Chicago lost to Rio de Janeiro in the Olympic contest, the Park District was eyeing how to develop the 91-acre man-made island east of Soldier Field, while making the former site of Meigs Field a temporary home for Olympic venues for beach volleyball, the canoe and kayak slalom courses and even an observation point for sailing contests.

Today, Chicago Park District officials are holding a public meeting downtown to unveil a series of sketches for the site, pen-to-paper ideas that will serve as a conversation starter, says Gia Biagi, director of planning and development for the Chicago Park District. “We’re not holding up a particular concept,” she said. “But looking at what are the components of a great park.”

The Park District hired a design team that includes Studio Gang Architects, best known for the Aqua Building at the Lakeshore East site near downtown, to sketch out ideas — though officials did not release the cost of the work.

One thought is to extend the swimming and beach areas on the eastern edge of the island. Another is to carve out portions of the “island” — really a peninsula — creating bays or coves or even inland waterways….

http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/1...land10.article

The meeting's tonight in the Spertus Institute from 6-9PM.

ChicagoismynewBlog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2009, 07:27 AM   #596
spyguy
Expert

Old November 15th, 2009, 01:57 AM   #597
spyguy
Expert

http://featuresblogs.chicagotribune....s-a-bridg.html

With a new dorm, plans for an arts center and other projects, the University of Chicago builds a bridge across the moat of the Midway
Blair Kamin

There are really two Universities of Chicago. One, north of the Midway Plaisance, is the picture-postcard campus famous for its serene, neo-Gothic quadrangles. The other, south of the Midway, is a thin strip of buildings that forms a veneer of institutional order in front of the struggling Woodlawn neighborhood.

...And much more is planned, including the installation next spring of 40-foot-tall light pylons (below) that will seek to make the vast Midway more inviting to pedestrians, particularly at night.

Old November 20th, 2009, 07:12 PM   #598
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 203

Northerly Island, Grant Park have big changes in store
Both getting fresh designs -- maybe for the better
Northerly Island

A design team recently held a public workshop for remaking Northerly Island, the 91-acre peninsula that once was home to Meigs Field. The team was led by JJR landscape architects of Chicago and including Studio Gang Architects, the Chicago firm responsible for the spectacular new Aqua tower. One of the ideas floated at that forum was integrating the peninsula's massive Charter One concert pavilion into a hillside as part of an effort to create a more naturalistic landscape. (Tribune photo by Alex Garcia / November 10, 2009)

Blair Kamin CITYSCAPES

November 20, 2009

They are two of the most contested pieces of ground on Chicago's lakefront -- the first, where the Chicago Children's Museum wants to build its controversial kiddie bunker; the second, where Mayor Richard M. Daley executed his infamous "midnight raid" and shut down Meigs Field.

Big changes are in store for both. And -- hold your breath -- they might even turn out for the better.

The Chicago Park District on Wednesday hired the highly regarded New York City landscape architect Michael Van Valkenburgh to redesign 25 acres in Grant Park's northeast corner, an area that encompasses the dreary Daley Bicentennial Plaza and, within it, the proposed site of the mostly subterranean Children's Museum...

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/c...0,615212.story
Old November 30th, 2009, 05:32 AM   #599
spyguy
Expert

http://mobile.suntimes.com/suntimes/...ps=5&full=true

Good vs. evil do battle joyously
BY HEDY WEISS Theater

Hellfire and damnation, and a whole lot of heavenly singing and earthly argumentation. That's what you get in "The Message Is in the Music (God Is a Black Man Named Ricky)," Jackie Taylor's red-hot new musical for the Black Ensemble Theater.

...Taylor, a proud new grandmother, told her audience that $13 million of the $15 million needed for her theater's new home (with two stages and classrooms) has been raised. Groundbreaking is set for June, with a September 2011 opening.
---

4440 N Clark
Old December 1st, 2009, 04:45 AM   #600
The Urban Politician
The City

^ Of course, there is a parking lot across the street, but why build on that if we can just replace an existing building?