daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 1st, 2005, 11:59 AM   #101
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

Actually Dubai has 20.4 sq.m of greenery per inhabitant. Their target is to have 25 in 5 years time.

How that compares to non-desert, congested cities, I really don't know.
AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 2nd, 2005, 03:12 AM   #102
Sauvalle
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

edited, for the sake of harmony

Last edited by Sauvalle; November 2nd, 2005 at 04:11 AM.
Sauvalle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2005, 03:37 AM   #103
Bertez

Likes (Received): 6

huh??
Bertez no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2005, 04:48 AM   #104
Phenomenal Fullerton
'DON'T Daint, you prick!'

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perth4life3
im sick of all these man made creeks , rivers and like island things in dubai, its to fake.

dont say im dubai bashing, its just the truth!
Have you ever been to Dubai? I very much doubt it. Maybe when you have, people might take your comments a little more seriously, maybe you would have a little more insight into what is happening there, and maybe, and thats a very BIG maybe I hasten to add, your arguments might be taken a little more seriously and be seen to hold more water.

Tell me, what exactly in your humble opinion, is so 'fake', as you put it?

Surely you could have said the same things about Perth years ago, before ITS construction boom. Does that make it 'fake'? Of course not, it's just a place that's trying to progress. Perth is in a vast desert - just like Dubai is - and what's more, Perth happens to be THE most isolated city in the world, but just because it is, and it has had the balls to develop, does that make Perth fake? Why does that make it any different from Dubai?

I reckon Perth is a fantastic city, and (most of the time!), Dubai is too, but just because Dubai is developing these unique islands, creeks, rivers, etc, why does it make it 'fake'?

Have you ever looked on your own doorstep? Take Hillarys, Claisebrook Cove, the new inlet that is proposed to be built next to Gloucester Park in East Perth, the Coogee redevelopment, and all the canals in Mandurah too. What is your humble opinion on those? I've not seen you saying these places are 'fake' because they have developments that involve marinas, canals or inlets, so why is Dubai 'fake' when it does what is essentially exactly the same thing?

As someone who has lived & worked in Dubai and several other cities around the world, sure, sometimes there are ALWAYS developments around the city that can annoy you, that you might not necessarily agree with, or that you think are completely out of place in its chosen environment, but it doesn't make it 'fake'. What you're saying is that just by building canals/islands etc., rather than them being there naturally in the first place, makes a city 'fake'.

Try arguing that then to cities which have done exactly that.... like Bangkok, like Amsterdam, like Venice, like London, like Birmingham and like Manchester in Great Britain, etc, etc, etc. Are they all 'fake' cities, just because they've done this?

And just for the record, I DON"T think you're 'Dubai bashing' just because you're saying things negatively about the place (IMHO, we SHOULD all be free to talk positively AND negatively about cities, or what would the point of having a forum be when you can only congratulate a city on its merits all the time?), but what I really have a problem with - where your comments are concerned - is that you don't appear to have the first clue what you're talking about, your arguments don't hold any water, and I'm cringing for you because you're making yourself look like a complete and utter plonker!

So please, tell us all, if you're "...sick of all these man made creeks , rivers and like island things in dubai, its to fake.", why does that make Dubai 'fake', yet it doesn't make other cities 'fake'?

I'm sure everyone else, just like me, are dying to know what the hell you're going on about!
Phenomenal Fullerton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2005, 05:04 AM   #105
*UofT*

Likes (Received): 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phenomenal Fullerton
Have you ever been to Dubai? I very much doubt it. Maybe when you have, people might take your comments a little more seriously, maybe you would have a little more insight into what is happening there, and maybe, and thats a very BIG maybe I hasten to add, your arguments might be taken a little more seriously and be seen to hold more water.

Surely you could have said the same things about Perth years ago, before ITS construction boom. Does that make it 'fake'? Of course not, it's just a place that's trying to progress. Perth is in a vast desert - just like Dubai is - and what's more, Perth happens to be THE most isolated city in the world, but just because it is, and it has had the balls to develop, does that make Perth fake? Why does that make it any different from Dubai?

I reckon Perth is a fantastic city, and (most of the time!), Dubai is too, but just because Dubai is developing these unique islands, creeks, rivers, etc, why does it make it 'fake'?

Have you ever looked on your own doorstep? Take Hillarys, Claisebrook Cove, the new inlet that is proposed to be built next to Gloucester Park in East Perth, the Coogee redevelopment, and all the canals in Mandurah too. What is your humble opinion on those? I've not seen you saying these places are 'fake' because they have developments that involve marinas, canals or inlets, so why is Dubai 'fake' when it does what is essentially exactly the same thing?

As someone who has lived & worked in Dubai and several other cities around the world, sure, sometimes there are ALWAYS developments around the city that can annoy you, that you might not necessarily agree with, or that you think are completely out of place in its chosen environment, but it doesn't make it 'fake'. What you're saying is that just by building canals/islands etc., rather than them being there naturally in the first place, makes a city 'fake'.

Try arguing that then to cities which have done exactly that.... like Bangkok, like Amsterdam, like Venice, like London, like Birmingham and like Manchester in Great Britain, etc, etc, etc. Are they all 'fake' cities, just because they've done this?

And just for the record, I DON"T think you're 'Dubai bashing' just because you're saying things negatively about the place (IMHO, we SHOULD all be free to talk positively AND negatively about cities, or what would the point of having a forum be when you can only congratulate a city on its merits all the time?), but what I really have a problem with - where your comments are concerned - is that you don't appear to have the first clue what you're talking about, your arguments don't hold any water, and I'm cringing for you because you're making yourself look like a complete and utter plonker!

So please, tell us all, if you're "...sick of all these man made creeks , rivers and like island things in dubai, its to fake.", why does that make Dubai 'fake', yet it doesn't make other cities 'fake'?

I'm sure everyone else, just like me, are dying to know what the hell you're going on about!

OWNED
*UofT* no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2005, 10:23 AM   #106
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Likes (Received): 125

malec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2005, 10:37 AM   #107
Dubai-Lover
Construction Paradise

Likes (Received): 5

good explanation "phenomenal fullerton"

the problem is just that you can tell people exactly this thousands of times, but they don't understand

---

let me add
dubai is not the first city to create a purpose-built CBD
Old November 2nd, 2005, 02:01 PM   #108
assignus

one thing i dont like abt the creek is it poses (posing?) serious traffic problems ....i hate it when it takes me more than 1 hr...to travel from SZR to deira .....maktoum bridge garhoud bridge and shindaga tunnel are jampacked...... mebbe we could have more roads...if the creek was not cut into the city.... (its a diff issue if it was natural)

and what is purpose of these creeks?.... now they are cutting the creek all the way to burjdubai area (for business bay) and then again there are plans to join the creek back into the sea.....intesecting the SZR

whats this madness abt developing creeks/shore line? and aping other major cities of the world.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phenomenal Fullerton

assignus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2005, 02:17 PM   #109
Dubai-Lover
Construction Paradise

Likes (Received): 5

i think we should stick to the topic here, but ok, my 2 cents

when the creek is connected to the sea several other roads have been built and/or widened/expanded

the current creek is natural i think, not sure
it has been there for a century, long before oil was discovered and the vision of dubai has been created
the city settled around this creek as every other city would do

i have to agree that the infrastructure has not been pushed forward enough and as fast as highrise buildings and malls and other stuff

the city is young and with the growth in mind it should be able to prepare the road infrastructure for a rapidly growing city

however, a third bridge currently is under c and a fourth bridge will break ground soon

there are plans for several other bridges over the creek

dubai is investing several billions in roads and there is almost no place you can go where there is no road construction, detours,...

another major problem is that deira and bur dubai around the creek are densely built up and have small streets, but most of the people live here and along with these come the cars
the only way to ease traffic in this area around the creek is to demolish old buildings, resettle the residents and reserve these plots for roads, public transport, parks, pedestrian walkways,...

the most important thing is an alternative road to sharjah, even several which don't go through the city!! those are being built as well

once the metro is there more people MUST use it for commuting.

i'm sure, although the city grows like crazy, major traffic problems will be resolved in 4-5 years
Old November 2nd, 2005, 02:19 PM   #110
dubaiflo
Back in the Sandpit

Likes (Received): 35

a hell of a lot improvements concerning roads are underway, new creek crossings etc
and i am 100% this time they will think abt possibilities to cross the extended creek before everything is done.
dubaiflo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2005, 06:59 PM   #111
Urban Dave
In Urbanity I Trust

Likes (Received): 1518

Sweet
Urban Dave no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2005, 02:17 AM   #112
fahed
Mr Anti

Likes (Received): 1

THE CURRENT CREEK IS NATURAL, but it will be extended. That's all!
Old November 3rd, 2005, 06:03 AM   #113
Phenomenal Fullerton
'DON'T Daint, you prick!'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubai-Lover
good explanation "phenomenal fullerton"

the problem is just that you can tell people exactly this thousands of times, but they don't understand

---

let me add
dubai is not the first city to create a purpose-built CBD

I couldn't agree more Dubai-Lover.

You know, it makes me laugh when I read posts saying that Dubai is 'fake'. We’ve all seen it so many times from so many people, and not just in Dubai's threads, but others too - particularly in N.American threads. Sooner or later this pathetic and predictable comment always comes up!

‘Fake’? How can any city be ‘fake’? Dubai may not be an enormous metropolis like Mexico City or Tokyo, but it’s only when Dubai decides to build big or develop a series of canals etc., that people make this ridiculous remark.

How can Dubai, or any other city on this planet for that matter, be ‘fake’?! These comments don’t make any sense other than to highlight how ill-informed, ignorant and childish the people who make these statements are!

From now on, each time I encounter another one of these moronic sheep that follow the flock by writing the same, tired, old, infantile, nonsensical shit, I shall enter my previous post.

Should anyone else get the urge to do the same, please feel free to copy and paste excerpts from both this and my above post.

Good day!
Phenomenal Fullerton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2005, 07:25 AM   #114
Citystyle
Watch my Chops

Likes (Received): 501

Quote:
Im sick of all these man made creeks , rivers and like island things in dubai, its to fake.

dont say im dubai bashing, its just the truth!
You stupid little boy. Keep dumb comments to Ozscrapers and avoid international shame.
Sec. 31 But how far has he given it us? To enjoy. As much as anyone can make use of to any advantage of life before it spoils, whatever is beyond this, is more than his share, and belongs to others. Nothing was made by God for man to spoil or destroy. And thus considering the plenty of natural provisions there was a long time in the world, and the few spenders, and to how small a part provision the industry of one man could extend itself, and ingross itself to the prejudice of others.
- John Locke
Citystyle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2005, 07:41 AM   #115
sista
proud to be tsinoy =p

wow nice project! I hope this finishes up in time. In time for me to save up and go to that place lol
sista no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2005, 02:57 AM   #116
rj2uman
Maker of Lumpia

Likes (Received): 7

Dubai is truly an example of "Terraforming" on a grand scale!

Last edited by rj2uman; November 5th, 2005 at 02:57 AM. Reason: typo
rj2uman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2005, 03:11 AM   #117
weill
North Roanoke

Likes (Received): 4

nice!
weill no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2005, 03:11 AM   #118
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 611

Thinking of Dubai makes me drool.