daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 9th, 2005, 10:02 PM   #1
michau
Boxes rule

Likes (Received): 955

Moscow :classic walks - part 5 - Manezhnaya Square

In this walk, we will mainly concentrate on the Manezhnaya Square, located at the heart of Moscow, just outside the Kremlin. The pictures were taken in September 2005.

We start our walk at the Lenin State Library. The famous writer Fyodor Dostoyevsky is sitting in front of it:

On the opposite side of the street we see the Manèze Exhibition Hall. It was destroyed by a fire 2 years ago, but is now rebuilt:

We are approaching the walls of Kremlin:

The green area along the walls is called Alexander Gardens. It is a very popular strolling place among Muscovites:

A circle-shaped square in the gardens where you can sit and enjoy life :

Middle Arsenal Tower and the Arsenal building beyond the wall:

We are approaching the Manezhnaya Square. This fountain is part of the new small architecture of the square, that was reconstructed some years ago, when a big underground Shopping Mall - Okhotniy Ryad - was built under it:

Tourists at the fountain

Other sights

We are now leaving the Alexander Gardens and going up to the Manezhnaya Square. The fountain seen from above:

The Russian Parliament (Duma). This building was erected for Gosplan, the agency that produced the Five Year Plans and oversaw the Soviet economy:

But look here!!! There is a big party going on in front of the Manèze Exhibition Hall

In the background you can see the old buildings of Moscow University (partly covered by a cute dog ). The rotunda on the left side is a chapel dedicated to St Tatyana, the patron saint of students:

A closer look at the Bolshaya Nikitskaya Street, where the old university buildings stand:

People at the square:

Better not disturb

Let's party

Young and pink

Manezhnaya Square takes its name from the Manège building. Here is a view of the Manèze building and the part of the Manezhnaya Square that is located above the underground shopping mall Okhotniy Ryad:

The Okhotniy Ryad area is quite kitschy but serves well as a meeting place for people:

Cheers!

In the background you can see the building of the Historical Museum:

We love you too

Moscow Cow Parade

Tverskaya Street, the main street of Moscow begins here at Manezhnaya Square:

The National Hotel in the background:

Marshal Zhukov, a World War II hero, overlooks the square:

Let us now jump back in time for a while to September 2004 and look at some pix I took then Marshal Zhukov stood at the same place back then too

If we move our head slightly to the right, we can see the site where Hotel Moskva once stood. It was demolished about 2 years ago and the building is now being reconstructed as a shopping mall, I think.

The cupolas of Okhotniy Ryad shopping mall:

In the background you can see that the Manège wasn't yet rebuilt after the fire:

Manezhnaya Square is a popular meeting place:

Monday, 1.30 AM, perfect time for a beer

I'm continuing my studies of toy-toy babushkas

Entrance to the metro station:

Police control. It was just 2 weeks after Beslan and a terrorist attack in the metro...

The man in blue didn't like me He asked me if I was taking photos of him. I said yes. He asked me to show the photo. I showed him the photo. He asked me to remove it. I said that I don't understand Russian... and made a suggestion to continue our conversation in English... he didn't want to... and our conversation ended there

The thing in his hand is a metal detector:

OK, that was it from 2004. Let's jump back to September 2005

Building of the former Central Lenin Museum:

Iberian Gate (or Resurrection Gate) leading to the Red Square. Demolished in the mid-1930s by Stalin to make Red Square more accessible for tanks and marches. Rebuilt in the 1990s:

In front of the gate people were making a cross-sign and throwing a penny over their shoulders. Probably that brings you luck or fulfills your wishes:

You can see a row of elderly women collecting the thrown pennies:

We are now leaving the Manezhnaya Square and entering the Red Square:

"Greetings from Russia" photo

Iberian Gate seen from the Red Square:

Kazan Cathedral. It was built to commemorate the end of the occupation of Moscow by a very big and powerful neighbour of Russia Like the Iberian gate it was demolished in the 30s and rebuilt in the 90s:

The famous St Basil's Cathedral. On the right side, the new-built Swissotel. I wonder what heritage protectors think of it...

Kremlin walls at Red Square. Between the two towers you can see Comrade Lenin's place of rest:

We now take a quick walk through Kitay Gorod (the old part of Moscow next to Kremlin)...

...and leave it through an ornamental gateway at Tretyakov's passage, which was knocked through the wall of Kitay Gorod in 1871:

I think this place is popular among somewhat richer people than me

We are now on the first road ring, between Teatralnaya Square and Lubyanskaya Square:

One of Moscow's more characteristic buildings - Metropol Hotel:

A famous department store - TsUM (CUM):

And finally we've reached the Teatralnaya Square. We can end this walk by saying "hello" to uncle Marx

I hope you enjoyed this thread

Last edited by michau; October 10th, 2005 at 06:34 PM.
michau no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 10th, 2005, 12:27 AM   #2
stefansk

Likes (Received): 2

Seriously, seriously Very cool. I really need to go to Moscow - it looks absolutely fascinating...

Are you refering to the mighty Poland ???

"Kazan Cathedral. It was built to commemorate the end of the occupation of Moscow by a very big and powerful neighbour of Russia Like the Iberian gate it was demolished in the 30s and rebuilt in the 90s:"

Old October 10th, 2005, 12:53 AM   #3
zektor

Likes (Received): 0

Beautiful Photos of the city. I love this city a lot!
zektor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2005, 01:04 AM   #4
Tomesh
insatiable

absolutely super photos with comments! great job
Tomesh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2005, 03:12 AM   #5
samminn

Great pics. I take it from all of the nice pics of perky young Russian chicks that you're not currently dating anyone?

Jeez, why are Russian guys always dressed like small time crooks in ugly weathered out jackets and dark trousers? And the girls so slutty? ... ehemm, actually I don't mind that.

Why was Hotel Moscow demolished? My guess is that it was a demoralising modern looking 1960's monster that everybody wanted out of there. True?
Old October 10th, 2005, 04:10 AM   #6
michau
Boxes rule

Likes (Received): 955

Thank you for your comments

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefansk
Are you refering to the mighty Poland ???

"Kazan Cathedral. It was built to commemorate the end of the occupation of Moscow by a very big and powerful neighbour of Russia Like the Iberian gate it was demolished in the 30s and rebuilt in the 90s:"
Yes, of course

but, but, but...

you forgot Lithuania...!!!!!!!!!

the correct answer is: the mighty Commonwealth of Poland and Lithuania

Quote:
Originally Posted by samminn
Great pics. I take it from all of the nice pics of perky young Russian chicks that you're not currently dating anyone?
Next question, please

Quote:
Originally Posted by samminn
Why was Hotel Moscow demolished? My guess is that it was a demoralising modern looking 1960's monster that everybody wanted out of there. True?
Not true! It is considered a cultural heritage and is going to be rebuilt, but with a functionality adjusted to our times. It was in bad condition and a renovation would be too expensive, I suppose.

According to an article Moscow News from 2003:

In place of the old Moskva, a five-star hotel is to appear with retail and leisure centers, office space, and an underground parking facility for 800 slots. The new project, according to the city authorities, will in fact correspond to the original concept of the Moskva's architects, Shchusev, Savelyev, and Stapran, who, for a number of reasons, failed to translate it into reality. The city authorities insist that historical justice should triumph.

Here is the entire article:http://english.mn.ru/english/issue.php?2003-24-7
michau no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2005, 02:53 PM   #7
Arpels
Αλέξανδρος

Likes (Received): 378

amazing pics!!
Arpels no está en línea   Reply With Quote