daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Leeds Metro Area

Leeds Metro Area Leeds, Bradford and West Yorkshire

Old September 7th, 2006, 07:59 PM   #1421
Rob
Proponent of Leeds

Likes (Received): 186

This is Yorkshire Post's report of the story -

Leeds is the most female-friendly city in the country, according to a study published today. Jan Fletcher: Tremendous accolade for city.The second largest metropolitan district in England came top in the poll while another West Yorkshire town Hebden Bridge came 10th. The study examined nightlife, career opportunities, shopping, and overall quality of life for female residents. The city, which has a population of around 715,000 with more than 75 different nationalities, has 361 bars and 31 nightclubs.
The city is the only one in the UK to have its own shopping week and offers best value for money for the discerning female, the survey found. The study, by the independent research body The Future Laboratory, found women could go to the "hippest" bars in the city without feeling out of place or being ripped off. Jan Fletcher, chairman of agency Marketing Leeds, said: "This is a tremendous accolade to all those in the city who are making Leeds the best place in the UK for living, studying and working.
"We are already 'living it and loving it' and we hope it will help bring more students, businesses and visitors to the city." The report, which polled more than 2,500 people, found the city was "a winner by design" with its "UK-renowned female-friendly boutique hotels like Quebecs and the £10m makeover at the Queens hotel". The report said: "A five-year audit of the city reveals Leeds is becoming a mini London: there may be a need for congestion charges in the future to ensure the city stays relatively pollution-free and pedestrian-friendly. "Leeds's retail environment couldn't be more exciting, what with independent designer emporium the Corn Exchange to uber-trendy Harvey Nichols in the stunning Victoria Quarter (the so-called Knightsbridge of the North) and Londonesque boutiques like the award-winning Hip. "Across the board, Leeds proved itself to be the UK's most female-friendly city." London did not make it in to the top 20 list.
Rob está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old September 8th, 2006, 02:20 AM   #1422
daveylad2

Likes (Received): 0

I got It out of a book.
daveylad2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2006, 02:36 AM   #1423
mistertee
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

See that bit of the Queens, the bit nearest us on stilts, is that there now? If it is I've walked under it to the station probably over 9 million times and I've never noticed.
mistertee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2006, 05:05 AM   #1424
Subliving
Leeds Leads

Likes (Received): 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistertee
See that bit of the Queens, the bit nearest us on stilts, is that there now? If it is I've walked under it to the station probably over 9 million times and I've never noticed.
Yep. It's the bit where all the taxis drive under. You'd know it if you saw it. Kindof the sort of thing that no one notices until you point it out.

Subliving.
Old September 8th, 2006, 11:02 AM   #1425
di Livio

Likes (Received): 434

Last edited by di Livio; September 8th, 2006 at 11:09 AM.
di Livio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2006, 11:08 AM   #1426
di Livio

Likes (Received): 434

I continue to be obsessed with the The Standard Assurance building to the right of the frame. If I earn Bill Gates' cash I'll re-build it.
Rebuild it I tells yer!

di Livio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2006, 07:55 PM   #1427
Smoggie_Si
Bermondsey Boro

Likes (Received): 2

Now it's going to get very confusing if we have the Official Leeds Threads 4 and 7 both active.

Stop posting in this thread please team!

Ta v muchly.
Smoggie_Si no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2006, 08:23 PM   #1428
LeedsLad

Likes (Received): 15

Hey there's tram lines in that pic! What an amazing idea - why has no-one thought of that since?...
LeedsLad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2006, 01:08 AM   #1429
Irwell

We're trying to arrange a UK-wide meetup if anyone is interested. No date or venue has been set yet so feel free to bounce some ideas around!

The thread is here...
Irwell no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2006, 09:41 AM   #1430
Leeds No.1

Likes (Received): 573

Can we please close this thread. Or at least not use it.