daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 11th, 2005, 01:09 AM   #1
michau
Boxes rule

Likes (Received): 955

Moscow :classic walks - part 3 - Between Arbat and Prechistenka

These pictures were taken by me in 2004 and have been showed some time ago at SSC, but without English descriptions.

---

This walk will take us to a slightly forgotten part of Moscow, between the Arbat and Prechistenka streets:

We start our walk at Arbat and continue along the Boulevard Ring. Unlike the Garden Ring it wasn't reconstructed in a stalinistic way and has maintained much of its prerevolutionary atmosphere:

The Boulevard Ring was built over the original ramparts of medieval times. Between the streets there is a 8-kilometers long park:

It's one of the most popular places for resting and strolling:

Street artists:

Moscow is not only Metro, but also trolley buses. They add much charm to the city. I love them

The climate of the Boulevard Ring

Moscow is also a city of black limousines. I've never seen so many black cars in my life. You should try to avoid them when crossing the streets. Their drivers seem to be of the opinion that the rules don't apply to them...

We are now leaving the Boulevard Ring and are going to explore the quiet quarter between the Arbat and Prechistenka streets:

This part of the city has a specific climate. It was once dominated by picturesque aristocratic mansions, of which many survived to this day and are now often turned into foreign embassies. But at the same time many of the old buildings have been destroyed and yellow-bricked commie-blocks have been erected in their place. This leads to interesting contrasts:

A few pictures from a street called Starokonyuschenniy Pereulok:

Buildings of New Arbat emerge at distance:

The street is quite charming:

An old church...

That badly needs a renovation...

A street close to the church:

In one of these houses where once one of the most popular whorehouses in Moscow located...

Moscow contrasts. You should by now know this stalin-skyscraper with the silly tower For those who forgot, it's the Ministry of Foreign Affairs:

A typical residential building from the 60-ties, before they started to build commieblocks on a big scale:

Beatifully "decorated" The condition of this symbol reflects well the final condition of the system it represented...

The Italian Embassy, former mansion of Berg family:

A "plumb":

This building is hard to define...

And suddenly - an ultra modern office building...

This Lada's best days belong to the past...

We'we reached the Prechistenka Street, which can be considered an outdoor museum of classicistic mansions. Most of them were built after the great fire of Moscow in 1812.

Despite the beautiful buildings, the street feels a little bit abandoned:

A beautiful house:

I liked the climate of the side-streets:

Prechistenka ends at the Prechistenskiye Vorota Square (a bit down the street). At distance we can see the towers of Kremlin:

A trolley bus

Am I late for the party We've reached the Prechistenskiye Vorota Square and one of many places in Moscow where people can sit down and enjoy the life

Engels watches the people from above

This is another nice looking street that leads to this square. It is called Ostazhenka:

The Cathedral of Christ the Saviour. It was demolished in the 30s. An enormous stalinistic skyscraper called "Palace of the Soviets" was planned in its place. But the visions never materialized and the cathedral could be rebuilt in the 90s after the fall of communism.

A closer look at the cathedral:

Let's go towards the Kremlin. A side street on our way:

Big Stone Bridge (Bolshoy Kamenny Most) over the Moscow river:

On the other side of the street we can see the Kremlin. I wanted to cross the street but couldn't find any place to do it...

Mokhovaya Street:

The famous writer Fyodor Dostoyevsky sitting in front of the State Lenin Library. The library cannot be seen on this photo. The building in the background is one of the old buildings of Moscow University:

I stepped down into an underground passage which showed to be a maze of corridors. Somehow I managed to get out of there and found myself standing in the middle of Alexander Garden just outside the Kremlin walls To my surprise I saw that it was full of people strolling around. Also the neighbouring Manezhnaya Square was full of people enjoying the life.

I could have taken a lot of interesting photos, but my batteries were by this time totally dead (I was lucky to take the photos by my next visit to Moscow instead )

This is the only photo I managed to take:

That's all for now. I hope you enjoyed this thread
michau no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 12th, 2005, 02:13 AM   #2
Arpels
Αλέξανδρος

Likes (Received): 378

excelent work, the old city is cool!!
Arpels no está en línea   Reply With Quote