daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States Urban Issues > Midwest and Plains

Midwest and Plains » Development News | Includes all plains states, MN, WI, IL, IN, OH, MO

Old December 14th, 2005, 12:09 AM   #101
ReddAlert
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

oh, cant forget about Highway 100. Dont you all love Highway 100, with its vast array of wannabes hanging around an Omega, showing off their Honda Civics...pretending to be streetracers in 2 Fast 2 Furious.

Really, most people I know just hang around in the house and play Madden while drinking. Only Madden. Not NBA Live, MLB 2K6, it must be the newest version of Madden. Everyone claims to be the master too.

ReddAlert no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old December 15th, 2005, 06:06 AM   #102
Rogee

Quote:
Originally Posted by The anti-cheesehead
I didn't know that. That's awesome. She must be a true cheesehead.

I can vouch for the drinking culture of WI. I went to college there.
Did you happend to go to UW - La Crosse? That's where I went to school, and I know tons of people from "The Cities" who went there. And the drinking in La Crosse is unmatched.
Rogee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2005, 06:17 AM   #103
The anti-cheesehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogee
Did you happend to go to UW - La Crosse? That's where I went to school, and I know tons of people from "The Cities" who went there. And the drinking in La Crosse is unmatched.
Nope, not La Crosse.

Hint: The name of the school is a type of beer. How funny is that? A college in Wisconsin that's named after a beer. It wasn't really named after a beer, it's a guy's last name that's also a type of beer.
Old December 15th, 2005, 06:38 AM   #104
araman0
Purdue U. / Marquette U.

Likes (Received): 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by milwaukeeunseen
I know what you're saying Araman. The drinking culture in Wiscsonsin as a whole gets to be too much. I had a friend years back who was in college at MSOE, he was from Boston. This was the mid-1990s and this guy was miserable because he wasn't interested in drinking, and literally all the social opportunities open to him revolved around booze. It's gotten better in Milwaukee since then with the advent of whole new kinds of entertainment that don't center on beer and liquor, but once you get outside Downtown Milwaukee/East Side, it's all beer all the time. If you don't like to drink heavily you're out of the loop.
I'm glad to hear what you said about downtown Milwaukee and the East Side. If my favorite area of Wisconsin is starting to get better in that regard, there may be hope yet.

My Flickr Page
araman0 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2005, 03:20 PM   #105
D-res
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogee
i'll have to disagree.. it's good but hardly unmatched
D-res no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2005, 10:10 PM   #106
looksee

Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by The anti-cheesehead
Nope, not La Crosse.

Hint: The name of the school is a type of beer. How funny is that? A college in Wisconsin that's named after a beer. It wasn't really named after a beer, it's a guy's last name that's also a type of beer.
From Wikipedia:
Stout is a dark beer made using roasted malts or roast barley. It was originally a variant of porter beer. Porter was first recorded as being made and sold in London in the 1730s. It became very popular in Great Britain and Ireland. It has also been moderately popular in Canada and Australia especially, and has been gaining popularity in the United States, with many microbrew varieties now available. Generally, current or former British Commonwealth nations can each have their own local interpretations of the style. Stout from England is generally sweeter in flavor.

On reflection, calling Wisconsin drinking habits a "culture" is a bit of a stretch. Bud Light seems to be the suds of choice around here, at least judging by the piles of pre-recycled aluminum cans fertilizing lawns after big Saturday blowouts.
Old December 17th, 2005, 12:11 AM   #107
The anti-cheesehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by looksee
From Wikipedia:
Stout is a dark beer made using roasted malts or roast barley. It was originally a variant of porter beer. Porter was first recorded as being made and sold in London in the 1730s. It became very popular in Great Britain and Ireland. It has also been moderately popular in Canada and Australia especially, and has been gaining popularity in the United States, with many microbrew varieties now available. Generally, current or former British Commonwealth nations can each have their own local interpretations of the style. Stout from England is generally sweeter in flavor.

On reflection, calling Wisconsin drinking habits a "culture" is a bit of a stretch. Bud Light seems to be the suds of choice around here, at least judging by the piles of pre-recycled aluminum cans fertilizing lawns after big Saturday blowouts.
Yup, you got it.

And if you don't want to call it a "culture", whatever you want to call it, people drink a lot in Wisconsin. I know my experience is from college, but Wisconsin is always at the top of the charts when it comes to alcohol consumption per capita. The town I was in had 14,000 people and 14 bars. It was extremely cheap to get drunk, the prices were so low that it seemed like bar owners encouraged binge drinking. 25 cent taps, $1.50 pitchers, $5 dollars all you can drink keg beer, they had these kinds of deals at different bars throughout the week. People would walk around with their own personal pitcher at the bar. This wasn't that long ago either, I graduated in 2001. I can tell you, it is not like that at the U of M.

We were also about 25 minutes away from the Leinenkugels brewery where you could drink for free. We'd go there for brewery tours and they'd give you free, freshly brewed Honey Weiss, Creamy Dark, Northwoods, Oktoberfest, whatever they just brewed. There was supposed to be a 3 beer limit, but we'd drink 4 beers with the guide before we'd go on the tour, drink a beer on the tour, and drink 4 more beers after the tour. The guide has a masters degree in brewery science and a huge beer belly. He slammed the last two beers he had before the tour. I've probably done the tour 20 times while I was at Stout.