daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old October 16th, 2005, 01:01 PM   #41
pflo777
BANNED
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,456
Likes (Received): 89

so with who do they want to fill all these buildings?

5 million people that they "import" from india, or china or somewhere in africa?

seriously!!?
pflo777 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 16th, 2005, 01:02 PM   #42
Gilgamesh
.
 
Gilgamesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,694
Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by pflo777
so with who do they want to fill all these buildings?

5 million people that they "import" from india, or china or somewhere in africa?

seriously!!?

People from all over the world are buying them!
Gilgamesh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2005, 01:04 PM   #43
pflo777
BANNED
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,456
Likes (Received): 89

ok, that was a fast answer....
but as thisl looks like, I´m not talking about 100000 people, more like 1 or 2 million...

Are there reallly worldwide more than 1 million people planning to move to dubai?
pflo777 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2005, 01:05 PM   #44
Alle
Registered User
 
Alle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Göteborg
Posts: 2,337
Likes (Received): 9

Answer to freedom:

Yup especially educated people. With the low taxes etc they hope to attract people who want to settle their companies, either new ones or partly, in Dubai.
__________________
Stop the censorship in the BiH forums

Castles And Fortresses [Alpe Adria] [Bosnia]
Alle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2005, 01:08 PM   #45
Gilgamesh
.
 
Gilgamesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,694
Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by pflo777
Are there reallly worldwide more than 1 million people planning to move to dubai?
Yeah, why not? I mean Dubai has it all! I bet you there are only atleast 500 000 Iranians that are willing to move there!
Gilgamesh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2005, 01:12 PM   #46
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!
 
malec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Cork
Posts: 9,598
Likes (Received): 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by pflo777
ok, that was a fast answer....
but as thisl looks like, I´m not talking about 100000 people, more like 1 or 2 million...

Are there reallly worldwide more than 1 million people planning to move to dubai?
Well, at the current growth rate of 100,000 new residents a year, the city should double in population within 15 years. On top of that you can add all the buildings that'll be used as hotels and there you have it.
malec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2005, 01:12 PM   #47
Badbakht
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 39
Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faz90
Out of all Dubai experts on this forum, you seem to be the most pessimistic, but still thanks for all your work for this thread.
I'm more pessimistic than him. A lot of the new projects are of substandard quality, and they're running into a lot of trouble with some of them.

And what BHK25 said isn't a joke. There is an extremely high risk of terrorist attacks in the future, so I think some of their plans will be messed up eventually, especially since they're relying so heavily on tourism.

Like malec said, it's also very likely that some of the bigger projects will be downscaled. I doubt the Palm Deira or Airport City will really work out.

Healthcare and education in Dubai? Never heard of it. You wouldn't want to get sick in Dubai, ever. They are far far behind in their development in these sectors, even with their new plans. A lot of people say Dubai isn't a real city, it's fake..etc. That isn't true.. Dubai has a lot going on, but to be honest, their negligence of these important sectors makes them seem like a kind of shell to me. It's all boasting about superlatives in tourism and entertainment, with some finance and commerce, and zero in other areas. It's not balanced at all.. and corruption is rampant with a lot of personal connections between those involved in decision-making and management.

Dubai is fake because it says things which it never applies or practices, such as holding conferences saying freedom of speech is encouraged, when it isn't really and never will be. It's all talk regarding changes in practices.. so they're just buildings high and wide but keeping the rest of the things like how they were before.. putting a lid on real development rather than superficial.
Badbakht no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2005, 01:13 PM   #48
AltinD
The Modecator
 
AltinD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: TIRANA / Dubai / Vienna
Posts: 31,827
Likes (Received): 6071

Since when I moved to Dubai almost 6 years ago, the population has increased by almost half a million people, and back then the boom we are experiencing now, wasn't even started.

Some projects and buildings near the waterfront, are marketed and sold mostly as holiday homes.
AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2005, 01:13 PM   #49
Badbakht
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 39
Likes (Received): 1

BTW.. I'm one Dubai resident, born and bred in the city, who will leave at any chance possible.
Badbakht no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2005, 01:15 PM   #50
AltinD
The Modecator
 
AltinD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: TIRANA / Dubai / Vienna
Posts: 31,827
Likes (Received): 6071

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbakht
I'm more pessimistic than him. A lot of the new projects are of substandard quality, and they're running into a lot of trouble with some of them.

And what BHK25 said isn't a joke. There is an extremely high risk of terrorist attacks in the future, so I think some of their plans will be messed up eventually, especially since they're relying so heavily on tourism.

Like malec said, it's also very likely that some of the bigger projects will be downscaled. I doubt the Palm Deira or Airport City will really work out.

Healthcare and education in Dubai? Never heard of it. You wouldn't want to get sick in Dubai, ever. They are far far behind in their development in these sectors, even with their new plans. A lot of people say Dubai isn't a real city, it's fake..etc. That isn't true.. Dubai has a lot going on, but to be honest, their negligence of these important sectors makes them seem like a kind of shell to me. It's all boasting about superlatives in tourism and entertainment, with some finance and commerce, and zero in other areas. It's not balanced at all.. and corruption is rampant with a lot of personal connections between those involved in decision-making and management.

Dubai is fake because it says things which it never applies or practices, such as holding conferences saying freedom of speech is encouraged, when it isn't really and never will be. It's all talk regarding changes in practices.. so they're just buildings high and wide but keeping the rest of the things like how they were before.. putting a lid on real development rather than superficial.
"Welcome" back BULLDOZERGIRL
AltinD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2005, 01:19 PM   #51
Badbakht
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 39
Likes (Received): 1

I was watching Dubai TV on cable yesterday, and they had this long poetry session praising Sh. Mohammed and showing all the new developments and towers going up in the city. It was nauseating and scary. It was just praise, praise and praise with unquestionable following. It looked like an Iraqi Saddam era video of praise. Whatever he proposes is accepted, even if most people thought it wasn't going to work out. I don't really think enough people are involved with the approval of some of the projects, and despite the leaders being quite experienced, in all fairness, they're not that good to be trusted with everything and never challenged.
Badbakht no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2005, 01:26 PM   #52
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!
 
malec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Cork
Posts: 9,598
Likes (Received): 125

What about the few projects like that Sheikh Zayed university or knoledge village (which I didn't post since it has no thread), or healthcare city?
malec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2005, 01:29 PM   #53
shibuya_suki
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 227
Likes (Received): 0

does dubai need so many tower?
i glad to see dubai are currently booming,
but is it neceeessary for so many XX city of dubai in near future??
even it is hub,but for its popuaation size,it just like vancouver or san fran,
does thay all need media,sports,IFC,business and internnet city??it looks like those development i see ready for something like 3million working population??so will it be a bubble?
if you said those tower is ready for future 23-30 years,its more reasonable.
shibuya_suki no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2005, 01:31 PM   #54
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!
 
malec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Cork
Posts: 9,598
Likes (Received): 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbakht
despite the leaders being quite experienced, in all fairness, they're not that good to be trusted with everything and never challenged.
Good point. I think there should be a much stricter approval process. It seems as if the developer's king and gets away with anything and everything. You can see this in the architecture. While some buildings have absolutely fantastic designs, others really suck ass. It shows that not all projects will be of the quality they promise
malec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2005, 01:37 PM   #55
Badbakht
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 39
Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by malec
What about the few projects like that Sheikh Zayed university or knoledge village (which I didn't post since it has no thread), or healthcare city?
The proposed academic developments are good, but it would take them some time to be established. They're quite good in some fields such as art, computers or business, but behind in other areas. Academic institutions work out fine eventually, but only after some time has passed for them to organise themselves and have enough staff (some institutions in Dubai still don't have stable lecturers and end up cancelling courses and messing up everything quite frequently).

As for Healthcare City, having an aggregation of private clinics and hospitals in one location of the city isn't really an answer for anything. The only advantage would be that people who can afford it from neighbouring countries or within the city would get what they want, and they'd make a profit out of it. But what about public hospitals? The two main ones in Dubai are Dubai and Rashid.. the latter is being renovated and expanded, but it doesn't meet the requirements of the growing city.

Ideally, public hospitals should be distributed in different areas to make access easy and cover any casualties in the local area. What are people in Jebel Ali supposed to do if they have an emergency? I haven't seen any plans for a public hospital. There isn't even a health insurance scheme, even though they say they'll introduce one at one stage. Expatriates have to pay for treatment out of their own pockets. A lot of people are dying because of it, they're forced to move back to their own countries. The service is absolutely horrifying as well and they lack equipment and proper facilities. I know all around the world people complain about the healthcare system.. they've got problems in all countries, but when I say it's really bad in Dubai, I'm comparing it to those countries.. and it really is awful. Primary school kids travel in buses not equipped with air conditioners in the middle of the afternoon and they frequently faint from dehydration.

It's really sad and infuriating to see that when all Dubai does is show off the shiny buildings on Sh. Zayed Rd and its hotels with their Rolls Royces and pretends to be a world class city. They're putting on a show for tourists.
Badbakht no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2005, 01:52 PM   #56
dubaiflo
Back in the Sandpit
 
dubaiflo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Munich | Dubai | London
Posts: 15,037
Likes (Received): 35

this is really b..........

anyway malec don't talk to hear there is no point.
dubaiflo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2005, 02:05 PM   #57
Badbakht
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 39
Likes (Received): 1

Dubai seems to have a penchant for starting all projects all at once. Their current road expansion projects are a disaster. Instead of starting in one section and finishing it before starting another.. they do everything at the same time and don't have enough workers to cover all.. so it ends up taking ages and causing an inconvenience for everyone.

They're in a rush. Just a few weeks ago a road collapsed near Media City and a car went in. God only knows what would happen to some of the buildings (which don't meet fire safety requirements anyway, and some have wooden emergency stairs).
Badbakht no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2005, 02:14 PM   #58
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!
 
malec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Cork
Posts: 9,598
Likes (Received): 125

I didn't know the healthcare city wasn't public Anyways, about the distribution of hospitals I fully agree that they should be spread out to all different areas. This is the kind of thing I meant when I was talking about a better approval process. Developers should be forced to implement a certain amount of schools, police stations, hospitals, fire stations, places for religious worship, etc.. depending on the size of the project. I've heard some nasty rumours about Nakheel's palm islands concerning the lack of these services. The waterfront seems to be the only exception in these offshore megaprojects.
malec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2005, 02:15 PM   #59
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!
 
malec's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Cork
Posts: 9,598
Likes (Received): 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbakht
Dubai seems to have a penchant for starting all projects all at once. Their current road expansion projects are a disaster. Instead of starting in one section and finishing it before starting another.. they do everything at the same time and don't have enough workers to cover all.. so it ends up taking ages and causing an inconvenience for everyone.

They're in a rush. Just a few weeks ago a road collapsed near Media City and a car went in. God only knows what would happen to some of the buildings (which don't meet fire safety requirements anyway, and some have wooden emergency stairs).
Which one has wooden emergency stairs?

About the roads, at least they're taking the traffic problem seriously now
malec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2005, 02:17 PM   #60
pflo777
BANNED
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,456
Likes (Received): 89

why dont they build the solar chimney in dubai?

1km tall.

they would have the money, it would be a great symbol for dubai and also for the change in the energy sector.....
pflo777 no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 04:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu