daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 19th, 2005, 03:03 PM   #141
smussuw
Patriotic Emirati

Likes (Received): 533

btw, most of the hotels arent in skyscrapers.

Only the most famous ones are.
smussuw no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 19th, 2005, 03:17 PM   #142
Gilgamesh

Likes (Received): 21

edit

Last edited by freedom; October 19th, 2005 at 03:23 PM.
Gilgamesh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2005, 03:56 PM   #143
Badbakht
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threehundred
Dubai, as rapid growing as it is, will not be a quote 'world city' on the level like New York, London, Tokyo, Paris, and yes, Los Angeles. Not anytime soon at least.

The Burj Dubai, as awesome as a building as it is in terms of sheer height, lacks the soul of the Empire State Building, the grace of the Chrysler Building, and the beauty of the Effiel Tower.

Hell, even some of the hotels in Vegas have some sort of history. Name 1 building in Dubai that most of the people in the world know about.

People know about the following terms:

Wilshire Blvd
Grand Central Station
The Tube
Arch de Triumph

Not many people outside of this forum know of Shiek Zayed Mohammed Road (I think that's it.)

Just because Dubai is building the tallest this and the biggest that doesn't make it a awesome city. It has to have character. And soul. It'll get that later on. Just not overnight.
I understand what you're trying to say about history and having well-known places, but I don't really think Dubai can be criticised for that since it's a fairly new city and can't show up on the world map with a ready-made package of all essential "world city" ingredients.

But the thing that worries me about Dubai and makes me a bit pessimistic about its ability to accomplish its plans is an issue of population more than one of infrastructure or buildings. Dubai has issues with citizenship and the way they're approaching education and training isn't based on a solid foundation. There's not much research, and not much trust of home-grown "professionals" in any field. They're relying on import of skilled professionals, and that's pefectly acceptable of course, but I don't think it's a very stable scenario, and I don't think Dubai will be taken seriously because it's a city of amateurs with nice buildings.
Badbakht no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2005, 04:41 PM   #144
Alle

Likes (Received): 9

"The Burj Dubai, as awesome as a building as it is in terms of sheer height, lacks the soul of the Empire State Building, the grace of the Chrysler Building, and the beauty of the Effiel Tower."

Subjective... for me it has a lot of characteristics, it shows the ambitions of Dubai, and will be remembered as a milestone in Dubai specifically, and generally skyscraperbuilding.

NY Yankee:

How ever it is THE place to be excited about when it comes to development. At least for me.

About history. Thats not important for me. What i like about Dubai is that it is modern, and stylisticly pure.
Other cities got other things i like.

Castles And Fortresses [Alpe Adria] [Bosnia]
Alle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2005, 06:56 AM   #145
city of the future
city of the future

Likes (Received): 248

history is all those cities have
city of the future no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2005, 07:44 AM   #146
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 10135

Dubai will be a very exciting place to visit in 10 years. It will probably get the 2016 Olympics. It will be as famous as New York, Paris, Rome ect.
All great cities have to start somewhere.Dubai is starting to flower.
CULWULLA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2005, 12:30 PM   #147
scorpion
...starwood... :-D

Likes (Received): 4

scorpion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2005, 02:55 PM   #148
Citystyle
Watch my Chops

Likes (Received): 501

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKing
"The Burj Dubai, as awesome as a building as it is in terms of sheer height, lacks the soul of the Empire State Building, the grace of the Chrysler Building, and the beauty of the Effiel Tower."
Effiel Tower is as naturally ugly as the sydney harbour bridge, please. Soul yep when Burj Dubai is nearly 80 years old it will have soul to. The grace of the Chysler building is purly design and though BD may not match the art deco charm. Name another that can?
Citystyle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2005, 03:38 PM   #149
demanjo

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Effiel Tower is as naturally ugly as the sydney harbour bridge

You idiot. Have you ever actually witnessed either?
Old October 20th, 2005, 05:17 PM   #150
DUBAI
Under the Burj

I dont like the eiffel tower either. just looks wrong IMO.
Old October 20th, 2005, 06:27 PM   #151
Alle

Likes (Received): 9

"Effiel Tower is as naturally ugly as the sydney harbour bridge, please. Soul yep when Burj Dubai is nearly 80 years old it will have soul..."

I didnt say that! i commented it. I agree, Burj Dubai has an identity by its own to! Btw i don't find the eiffel tower so nice looking, but it's special and unique, but there is a lot of better looking buildings. The tower would look quite dull in most cities, but fits very well in for Paris.

If we say they would build a similiar landmark in Dubai in the middle of a recreation area. I would prefer it brighter, white structure, colourful night lighting.

I love that "everything" in Dubai is planned in advance and built at once. Thats unique. As they have goals for how it should turn out (even if not exact), they can already think of what problems may come up and prevent it from doing so, by looking on other big cities. They can prevent it before Dubai is that big, like traffic problems, lack of recreation areas etc.

Dubai is and will be unique, i really hope it will turn out to be the stylisticly pure masterpiece i would like it to be.

Castles And Fortresses [Alpe Adria] [Bosnia]
Alle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2005, 08:23 PM   #152
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Likes (Received): 125

Just like everywhere else in the world, Dubai has some great projects but also some that are not so good. In a boom like this it's almost a certainty that they'll encounter some problems in the future (traffic is already a problem but thankfully they're taking care of that now - check the bottom link on the first post)

BTW I think the burj dubai is far from soulless because it's a perfect symbol for the ambition over there.. Sure nobody can say it's as great the chrysler or the ESB. The test of time will decide that though

Aswell I don't think the eiffel tower's all that great either and yes, I have seen it. I think it's good but not as great as some make it out to be.
malec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2005, 10:56 PM   #153
Krazy
Kool Kat

Likes (Received): 35

One of the very many Dubai skylines in the making...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlMillion
View from sea today:

Krazy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2005, 11:00 PM   #154
Faz90
BENNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CULWULLA
Dubai will be a very exciting place to visit in 10 years. It will probably get the 2016 Olympics. It will be as famous as New York, Paris, Rome ect.
All great cities have to start somewhere.Dubai is starting to flower.
In 10 years, Dubai will be a very great place, but it will not be at the level of the top 5 cities. Maybe the top 20. Even after the big projects are finished, it will take some time for Dubai to be more famous or mature.
Faz90 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2005, 02:11 AM   #155
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Added tons of proposals
Old October 21st, 2005, 02:20 AM   #156
jonovision

WOW, ive never seen most of those proposals! They look crazy!!!
jonovision no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2005, 02:24 AM   #157
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Some are really crazy and of course a lot won't be built (especially that big messy bubble thing on the highway). I think there are a few superbly designed towers among those proposals. Maybe not something to deserve 10/10 but I know I'd give 9.5/10 to a fair few there
Old October 21st, 2005, 02:25 AM   #158
Dubai_Boy
I love Abu Dhabi.

Likes (Received): 2435

OH WOW , THOSE PROPOSALS ARE AWEOSME !!
Old October 21st, 2005, 07:31 AM   #159
Faz90
BENNED

The updated proposals really blow me away!
Faz90 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2005, 02:47 AM   #160
malec
Rrrraaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Added the IMPZ towers and a good few more links. I'm at City of Arabia now. The marina and JLT will take ages.