daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > Euroscrapers > General European discussions > Phototeka

Phototeka Urban photo's of skyscrapers, skylines, architecture and cityscapes

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old October 17th, 2005, 02:30 AM   #1
VelesHomais
aspiring cyborg

Likes (Received): 3152

Ukrainian district in New-York

I have only recently found out about this area. Apparently it's quite active. There is a working Museum, recently opened. Even a little Taras Shevchenko street. As well as some small shops and pubs.

My camera broke when I wasn't done yet. There are also two Banks, one of them quite large. And a sport club, where they have billiards, a bar and a place to watch games ( Boxing and football ) on a huge tv. I'm going there next month. They're also going to show a recorded tape of Independence Day celebrations in Kyiv this year.

Enjoy

And we start on 11th between 2nd and 3rd avenues.

Little Ukrainian Orthodox Church. Looks like these guys are barely keeping up with their rent, because the basement is used by some american organizations and the Church seems closed most of the time.

Basically the most dense concentration of Ukrainians

Veselka. Ukrainian cafe. Bloody expensive!

Ukrainian House ( I'm still trying to figure out what it is )

Ukrainian boy-scouts, but with girls too.

Carpathian (KARPATY ) Pub - I'm yet to discover it from within.

The restaurant. Not only Ukrainians work there, also Poles and Czechs. Last week there was this cute Polish girl from Bialystok. I said "esze Polska nie zgynyla" and she was flattered.

Street view. Beautiful clouds, eh?

Some informative posters

Ukrainians and no Taras Shevchenko? Yeah, right. It's not a statue, but will do

"Kiev" restaurant. Opened something like 20 years or more ago, and now it has nothing to do with Ukraine as it was re-bought by an American. But the name remains.

And we turn on... 8th? And witness new Ukrainian museum. I've already visited it and well.. right now it only has one collection ( they will change them regularly ) and it's of Ukrainian modern-art sculptor from beginning of 20th century. I don't really like modern art but a cute Ukrainian girl works there, so.. it's worth a visit.

Ukrainian Catholic School. I guess it's a High School. A friend of a friend went there and says that a lot of eastern Europeans go there, not only Ukrainians. It's quite big, looks like it has more than a thousand of students for sure.

School on the left, museum on the right.

Now something that makes every Ukie feel at home

Taras Shevchenko is a very short street, but it makes all the difference for us. Apparently that's where Ukrainians in emigration have held festivals and meetings since late 100 years ago. The first significant wave ( as I learned ) came after the attempt at revolution in 1905.

Therefore, most of them were born in America and all speak with a funny accent.

Huge Ukrainian Church in Byzantine style. It's right on Taras Shevchenko Place. I was totally convinced that it was Orthodox, but it's Catholic. Doesn't look Catholic at all. I assume Ukrainians that came here 100 years ago, converted to Catholicism because didn't want to associate themselves with non-Ukrainian Orthodox Churches ( Ukrainian one didn't formally exist till 1990's ) but kept all of their Orthodox traditions. Or maybe were originally Catholic Ukrainians or perhaps both but united under this "mix".

Pic of the day

And a shop right near the Church. Too bad it's closed on sundays. I glanced inside and there are nice albums of Kyiv and Vyshyvankas ( our traditional clothes ).

Sponsored Links

Old October 17th, 2005, 02:44 AM   #2
Kommandant Mark
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

Now, thats an awesome thread
Hope to see more soon
Kommandant Mark no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2005, 02:53 AM   #3
MIMICA

Likes (Received): 0

One of the reasons I think everyone likes New York City is because of the diversity. Any group of people you're trying to find, New York City has a community of them!

I especially like the Ukrainian community. It seems so welcoming and booming with life.
Thanks for sharing Stanislav!

EDIT: I forgot to ask; is the area very safe?

Last edited by MIMICA; October 17th, 2005 at 03:01 AM.
MIMICA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2005, 03:03 AM   #4
VelesHomais
aspiring cyborg

Thanks for your comments guys

Of course the area is safe, it's in the middle of Manhattan. A fairly rich area, I can't afford to stay there and yeah it's very alive. But these American Ukrainians are very different from us. They speak with a funny American accent ( which I have already mentioned ) and unlike all of us, they don't know Russian. Plus it seems like there's more Catholic than Orthodox, while in Ukraine we have more Orthodox than Catholic...

Btw, this Ukrainian community also attracts all other Slavs. Right around it, you see some Polish stores too. And a lot of EE people work in Ukrainian places.
Old October 17th, 2005, 03:09 AM   #5
MIMICA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pan_Stanislav
Thanks for your comments guys

Of course the area is safe, it's in the middle of Manhattan. A fairly rich area, I can't afford to stay there and yeah it's very alive. But these American Ukrainians are very different from us. They speak with a funny American accent ( which I have already mentioned ) and unlike all of us, they don't know Russian. Plus it seems like there's more Catholic than Orthodox, while in Ukraine we have more Orthodox than Catholic...

Btw, this Ukrainian community also attracts all other Slavs. Right around it, you see some Polish stores too. And a lot of EE people work in Ukrainian places.
I'm happy to hear this. What makes New York City attract diversity?
Old October 17th, 2005, 03:10 AM   #6
Kommandant Mark
BANNED

Same here in Toronto...where the Polish area is, Ukrainian area is very nearby. ANd a number of Serbian & Russian stores are around it. And the Lithuanian consulate too

Its interesting, in NYC its called "east village", while here this area is referred to as "bloor West village"

http://www.bloorwestvillage.com/ukra...al/index.shtml
Old October 17th, 2005, 03:20 AM   #7
MIMICA

Is it written New York or New-York?
Old October 17th, 2005, 03:23 AM   #8
DonQui
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIMICA
Is it written New York or New-York?
New York.
DonQui no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2005, 05:30 AM   #9
Sergei
iMod

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommandant Mark
Same here in Toronto...where the Polish area is, Ukrainian area is very nearby. ANd a number of Serbian & Russian stores are around it. And the Lithuanian consulate too

Its interesting, in NYC its called "east village", while here this area is referred to as "bloor West village"

http://www.bloorwestvillage.com/ukra...al/index.shtml
Haha, never noticed it, that is interesting.

Great pics, Stas. And I told you the museum was opened!
Next time I go to NYC, I must go to this vilage. Looks interesting, never been there.
Old October 17th, 2005, 05:44 AM   #10
3tmk
Rusty Robot

Great thread Stas!
The interesting part is that although I've been there and seen the Ukrainian church and all, I've never noticed it was that large! I should check it out next time I'm down there, maybe I'll find something interesting
3tmk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2005, 04:58 PM   #11
VelesHomais
aspiring cyborg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3tmk
Great thread Stas!
The interesting part is that although I've been there and seen the Ukrainian church and all, I've never noticed it was that large! I should check it out next time I'm down there, maybe I'll find something interesting
The thing is that this area is not only Ukrainian. There are also Japanese and even Jewish places within. So when you walk by, you don't really notice it. I went there three times now ( last week ) and each time I found a new Ukrainian place. I also hear there's a third Ukrainian church somewhere. Haven't found it yet.
Old October 17th, 2005, 10:28 PM   #12
Taras Bulba
Річ Посполита

I don't know how is it possible, that the ukrainian diaspora is so well organised, while Poles abroad are completely unable to cooperate. I've even once heard, that in Danemark, where polish minority is about 4000 people, there is 22 competing polish organizations. Apparently ukrainian saying: "Where 2 Ukrainians, there 3 hetmans (commanders)" (btw. "Where two Poles, there three opinions for some reason does not apply to diasporci. That's great. I love the Ukrainian museum. As far as I know there is about 1,5 milion Polish Americans in NY, but I doubt, if they've got this kind of buildings And the accent of ukrainian people from the US and Canada is really very funny. I met quite a few of them,when I went to U. last DEC. as an observer
Taras Bulba no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2005, 11:34 PM   #13
ahsm

Likes (Received): 11

Very nice pictures Stas. I should take some pics of Bloor West Village once.
ahsm no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2005, 11:41 PM   #14
VelesHomais
aspiring cyborg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taras Bulba
I don't know how is it possible, that the ukrainian diaspora is so well organised, while Poles abroad are completely unable to cooperate. I've even once heard, that in Danemark, where polish minority is about 4000 people, there is 22 competing polish organizations. Apparently ukrainian saying: "Where 2 Ukrainians, there 3 hetmans (commanders)" (btw. "Where two Poles, there three opinions for some reason does not apply to diasporci. That's great. I love the Ukrainian museum. As far as I know there is about 1,5 milion Polish Americans in NY, but I doubt, if they've got this kind of buildings And the accent of ukrainian people from the US and Canada is really very funny. I met quite a few of them,when I went to U. last DEC. as an observer
There are much more Poles here in New-York, but you're right, I don't know if they have any building they actually built. There is a Polish club though.

What's interesting is that this Ukrainian area also incorporates a lot of Poles. I've heard that almost half of students in Ukrainian school are Poles I also saw a "Little Poland" food store there.
Old October 17th, 2005, 11:55 PM   #15
330CI
BANNED

Is this the famous 'Brighten Beach' (?1) in New York?
I thougt the most peolpe there were russians and russian jews...
330CI no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2005, 12:01 AM   #16
VelesHomais
aspiring cyborg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330CI
Is this the famous 'Brighten Beach' (?1) in New York?
I thougt the most peolpe there were russians and russian jews...
No. It's a different location, very far from Brighton.

Brighton Beach is mostly Jewish of all ex-Soviet republics. But there are some Ukrainian places as well. Thought it's all Russian speaking, while this Ukrainian area is Ukrainian speaking. I'm going to go take pictures of Brighton as well.
Old October 18th, 2005, 01:35 AM   #17
330CI
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pan_Stanislav
No. It's a different location, very far from Brighton.

Brighton Beach is mostly Jewish of all ex-Soviet republics. But there are some Ukrainian places as well. Thought it's all Russian speaking, while this Ukrainian area is Ukrainian speaking. I'm going to go take pictures of Brighton as well.
ok.
330CI no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2005, 02:33 AM   #18
Sergei
iMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Андрій
Very nice pictures Stas. I should take some pics of Bloor West Village once.
Oh, please. There's hardly anything there worth photographic. I was disappointed.
It's a better idea to come during the Festival.
Old October 18th, 2005, 02:48 AM   #19
Sergei
iMod

This is Brighton Beach:

Old October 18th, 2005, 02:54 AM   #20
Kommandant Mark
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taras Bulba

Heheh...kind of similar saying in my country..."where two Serbs, there are 3 political parties"

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: