daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 20th, 2005, 07:03 AM   #1
EMPIREOFLIGHTS
FINISH THE CHICAGO SPIRE

Likes (Received): 2

GE Building (Rockefeller Center) observatory

I had heard this was going to reopen in October,and I have'nt heard anything-did it open? If so we need pics?
EMPIREOFLIGHTS no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 20th, 2005, 08:17 AM   #2
CrazyCanuck
MOD SQUAD

Likes (Received): 28

It's already open I think, 12 bucks to get to the top.
CrazyCanuck no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2005, 05:52 AM   #3
Skybean
天豆

Likes (Received): 271

DAMN. Someone go and take some shots for us. If I was there, and it was open, I would go up in a heartbeat.

..........................................................................................
A view in a million at Rockefeller Centre...

October 18 2005 at 05:58AM

New York - After 20 years, New York's renowned Rockefeller Centre skyscraper will re-open its observation deck next month, challenging the Empire State Building's lock on the best bird's eye view of the city.

Organisers are expecting around two million people a year to visit the renovated Top Of The Rock, which offers a panoramic view of Manhattan and beyond from a height of 260m.

First opened in 1933, the observation deck was originally designed to evoke the upper decks of a 1930s grand ocean liner, complete with deck chairs on the 70th and top floor, as well as large vents intended to look like the stacks on a ship's deck.

The attraction closed in 1986, after the celebrated Rainbow Room bar on the 65th floor expanded, cutting off direct access to the upper floors.

The renovated version includes two-metre-high transparent safety glass panels, which allow an unimpeded view of the Manhattan skyline, while thwarting potential suicides.

For Peter Dillon, director of marketing for the Rockefeller Centre, the new observation deck enjoys a built-in advantage over its long-established rival.

"The Empire State Building is an amazing building... a landmark," Dillon said. "The problem is that you can't see the building when you're standing on it. From here you get it in all its glory."

The deck opens to the public on November 1, with $14 the price of the view that boasts a visibility of around 130km on a clear day. - Sapa-AFP
Old October 21st, 2005, 09:11 AM   #4
CHI

Likes (Received): 2

I think it opens 11/1 (that's northamerican dating system)
CHI no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2005, 10:19 AM   #5
hella good
Something of a monster

Likes (Received): 2661

its a great view from up there.
CODA Instagram
hella good no está en línea   Reply With Quote