daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture > European Classic Architecture and Landscapes

European Classic Architecture and Landscapes All related to historical buildings and landscapes of the old world.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 20th, 2005, 09:58 AM   #1
michau
Boxes rule

Likes (Received): 955

Moscow :classic walks - part 4 - Kitay Gorod

These pictures were taken by me in 2004 and have been showed at SSC some time ago, but without English descriptions.

---

Our next walk takes us to the Kitay-Gorod, one of the oldest and most beautiful quarters of Moscow. The route of our walk:

But before we go to Kitay-Gorod let us pay a short visit to the Rizhskaya (Riga) metro station. It doesn't belong to the most beautiful metro stations, but I found one interesting thing here

This is the interesting thing: a table with photos of Moscow metro stations that have names referring to other cities in the world: Rome, Prague, Bratislava, Kiev, Riga...

...and Warsaw

From the Rizhskaya station I went by metro to Kitay-Gorod, the part of Moscow we are going to explore in this thread. Do you want to buy a fruit?

There are 3 main streets in Kitay-Gorod, Varvarka, Ilinka and Nikolskaya. We will take a look at each of them.

We start with Varvarka Street, one of the most surrealistic streets I've ever seen. In front of the brutal wall of the monstruos hotel Rossiya, there is a row of small picturesque churches that somehow surrived the demolition of the old quarter that once stood here...

One of my favorite Moscow motives Unfortunately (or maybe luckily) the hotel Rossiya is going to be demolished in the near future:

Cool, isn't it?

The row of small churches contininues. The Kremlin appears at distance:

View of GUM (the one in the middle), a legendary department store at the Red Square:

A look back at the churches at Varvarka Street and a bit of hotel Rossiya:

This is a classical view of Moscow from the Bolshoy Moskvoretsky Most (the Big Moscow River Bridge):

In about 2-3 years the 300 meter tall towers of the IBC should be visible on the right side of the stalin-gothic Ministry of Foreign Affairs

A traffic jam and the Cathedral of Christ the Saviour (the one demolished by Stalin and recently rebuilt):

If we take a look from the bridge in the opposite direction, we'll see the monstruos hotel Rossiya:

And a bit further away - the stalin-gothic residential at Kotelnicheskaya:

Let us go back to the Red Square. In front of us we see the Kremlin walls, GUM and the famous St Basil's Cathedral:

The Red Square and the Historical Museum:

We turn right into the Ilinka Street. On the left side we see the entrance to GUM:

We pay a short visit to GUM, which nowadays is one of Moscow's most elegant malls and not as crowded as in the communist times:

There are many beautiful buildings at Ilinka Street. On the right side we see - "Gostiniy Dvor" - a house for visiting merchants, built 1790:

A building next to GUM:

Ilinka, being one of Moscow's financial centres, is dominated by black limousines:

A very Russian house:

Another small church standing among much bigger buildings. Very typical for Moscow:

Someone "very important"

We've reached the Ilinskie Vorota Square. The yellow building is the Polytechnical Museum:

We turn left in and continue our walk in the direction of Lubyanskaya Square. A driver waiting for his "master" Another very typical Moscow view:

We take a look back over our shoulder. Once again we can see the big stalin-gothic residential at Kotelnicheskaya:

Interesting building that serves as a gate to Kitay-Gorod:

We are now at the Lubyanskaya Square and take a look at the infamous building of NKVD, the Soviet secret police. A statue of the secret police founder "Iron Felix" Dzerzhinsky stood once here. It was removed after the collapse of the 1991 "putsch":

On both sides of the Lubyanka building we can see monumental buildings that probably belonged to the same organization. This one stands on the right side:

And this one on the left side:

Another toilet babushka

Two guys drinking beer for lunch in front of a metro station entrance:

We take a look at the Teatralny Proezd (street) behind the corner:

We continue our walk along the Nikolskaya Street, the most lively street of Kitay Gorod. Plenty of small shops and restaurants here:

Picturesque gate between Nikolskaya and the big road surrounding the Kitay Gorod and Kremlin. The passage, called Tretiakov's Passage, was knocked through the wall of Kitay Gorod at the end of 19th century:

She's dangerous...

The Synodal Printing House from 1564:

Note the hammer and sickle... Are they also from 1564?

Nikolskaya Street, not far from the Red Square:

Smile, you are on Skyscrapercity

Change money?

The Red Square + the compulsory babushka Nobody can tell me now that I've been to Moscow and didn't take any pictures of babushkas

A last glimpse of the Red Square, here seen through the Iberian Gate from the Manezhnaya Square:

That's all for now. I hope that you enjoyed this thread
michau no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 22nd, 2005, 02:04 AM   #2
urbane

Likes (Received): 82

Quote:
Originally Posted by michau
That's all for now. I hope that you enjoyed this thread
I sure did !

I like the details you provided for all the pics, and the focus on photographing the local girls.
urbane no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2005, 11:53 PM   #3
Nemo

Likes (Received): 506

Again; very good pics; wonderful tour.
Nemo no está en línea   Reply With Quote