SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Detroit/ Windsor

Windsorites- Do you support the Red Wings or the Maple Leafs?

5K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Blitz 
#1 ·
I was in Windsor and they seemed to support a bit of both. Which NHL team do you support?

#2 · (Edited)
Even though I don't live in Windsor, I support the Red Wings.

I think there is a LOT more of Red Wings fans there, but there are Leafs fans down there, because of the students from near Toronto at the University of Windsor, the fact that Kyle Wellwood and Tie Domi are Windsor natives, because the Leafs have been around since the beginning of time,

But there are MUCH MORE Red Wings fans, for the fact that Detroit and the Joe Louis Arena is across the river and has one KICK ASS hockey team, and the fact they had won the Stanley Cup three times in six years from 1997-2002. Not only that, they are one of the original six teams as well.

#4 ·
The edge goes to the Red Wings. When you live 4 minutes from an NHL team, why would you cheer for one located 4 hours away? The local sports coverage (Windsor Star and local tv news) favours the Red Wings mainly for this reason - it's easier to get in-depth interviews.

For baseball, it's no contest that Windsor supports the Tigers. I think this goes back to the Tigers having a long history while the Jays have only been around since '77. We don't even have a Jays radio affiliate.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.