daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 10th, 2007, 06:30 AM   #81
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18136

York Region plans to attract riders by offering WiFi service on VIVA buses
But transportation providers must balance technology with service, urban transit expert says
6 July 2007
The Toronto Star

It can be a long drive to the suburbs for an email-addicted commuter.

York Region Transit is hoping that WiFi access on its VIVA buses will be enough to lure more motorists out of their cars and notch up the service to its existing customers.

"We have an affluent and technically sophisticated population that looks for those types of innovations and that's what we want to give on our transit," said general manager Don Gordon.

"Our hope is that by the end of this year we'll have the hardware installed and a service provider selected," he said. It would make York Transit one of the first systems in Canada to offer WiFi.

But others are looking at the idea, including the TTC as transit companies expand their marketing strategies beyond reliable schedules and comfortable buses.

Michael Roschlau, president and CEO of the Canadian Urban Transit Association, compares the technology service trend with air conditioning 10 years ago.

"It used to be a frill. Now it's part of a core expectation," he said.

But adding new technology and services is a balancing act. Business people want a fast, frequent service, but seniors might be more interested in a shorter walk to the bus stop.

Then there's the problem of how you pay for the technology without raising fares. York wants to offer WiFi free to riders by selling advertising that would appear on the screen when the user logs on. The alternative is a subscriber fee.

That's how TTC patrons will likely pay for WiFi when it becomes available - not for at least another 18 months - according to chair Adam Giambrone.

The TTC has also talked about making cellphone transmission work in the subway.

GO Transit isn't looking at WiFi.

"Most people don't need the WiFi. People are already working on their laptops and using their BlackBerrys," said spokesperson Ed Shea.

The West Coast Express, a Vancouver-area commuter rail service, says one of its most popular offerings is an on-board coffee bar.

"Once (commuters) found they could come for a 30-minute train ride and be downtown, refreshed, cappuccino in hand, they were converted for life," spokesperson Kyla Daman-Willems said.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 15th, 2007, 04:19 AM   #82
Electrify

Likes (Received): 5

York Region VIVA BRT planning slideshows

It's really cool to see them taking a transit oriented approach to future growth in the county:

Intro and Service http://www.gobrt.org/YRT_APTA_briefi...e_Planning.pdf

Facilities and Fleet http://www.gobrt.org/YRT_APTA_briefi...nforcement.pdf

Marketing http://www.gobrt.org/YRT_APTA_briefi...ing_slides.pdf

TMS http://www.gobrt.org/YRT_APTA_briefi...TMS_slides.pdf
Electrify no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2007, 05:14 AM   #83
Canadian Chocho

Likes (Received): 28

I hope they're vision becomes a reality.

1 2 3
Canadian Chocho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2007, 04:53 PM   #84
yyzhyd

Likes (Received): 9

Has work started on Yonge St. yet?
Warden Ave. has already been widened in preparation for the BRT Right-of way from Steeles to Enterprise.
I only wish they were building the right-of-ways along Hwy 7 first.
yyzhyd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2007, 06:07 PM   #85
milwaukee-københavn

That looks like a pretty nice system. Has ridership been high?
milwaukee-københavn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2007, 06:23 AM   #86
deasine
=)

Likes (Received): 57

Has anyone ever experienced the "time display" not being accurate. Vancouver's 98 B-Line had that problem where the LED time displays system crashed... Siemens- On Street, the company that supplied TransLink did not know why and did nothing to help. As of right now, some buses are fine but most aren't 'recognized' by the system. I really wonder what's going on.

Hopefully Viva won't encounter this problem
deasine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2007, 07:18 AM   #87
go_leafs_go02

Likes (Received): 2

never experienced the VIVA system..but man..it looks impressive...the busses are sleek, the individual stations are very very neat (and must be expensive as well!)

Hopefully we can see the system expand, and eventually reach LRT.
go_leafs_go02 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2007, 07:36 AM   #88
urbanfan89

Likes (Received): 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by deasine View Post
Has anyone ever experienced the "time display" not being accurate. Vancouver's 98 B-Line had that problem where the LED time displays system crashed... Siemens- On Street, the company that supplied TransLink did not know why and did nothing to help. As of right now, some buses are fine but most aren't 'recognized' by the system. I really wonder what's going on.

Hopefully Viva won't encounter this problem
In the Waterloo Region you can find out the schedule at each bus stop by calling 519-888-(unique 4 digit number posted on every bus stop), and an automated voice tells which bus route comes in how many minutes. Unfortunately this apparently is just the official schedule and not real-time tracking, and once late at night I was stranded because the bus came earlier than the hotline said.
urbanfan89 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2007, 06:12 AM   #89
hkskyline
Hong Kong

TTC stopped that service a number of years back, but aren't the times based on schedule rather than real-time?

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old October 17th, 2007, 06:15 AM   #90
deasine
=)

Likes (Received): 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanfan89 View Post
In the Waterloo Region you can find out the schedule at each bus stop by calling 519-888-(unique 4 digit number posted on every bus stop), and an automated voice tells which bus route comes in how many minutes. Unfortunately this apparently is just the official schedule and not real-time tracking, and once late at night I was stranded because the bus came earlier than the hotline said.
We have that in Vancouver too: 604-953-3333, then 1, 1, and enter 5 digit stop number. It works pretty well for some routes. It's good to see the VIVA GPS/Time Display system actually working. And it seems that YRT is really trying to protect their stops and busses from vanadalism, etc. unlike Vancouvers....

For those who don't know, this is Vancouvers less advanced (but I think it's the first on in Canada) version of VIVA BRT:

[img]http://www.fta.dot.gov/images/brt_guide_Image49.gif[/img]

Notice the broken display.
And this is what the time display has been saying for some stops for the past year now:

Anyway hopefully BRT becomes LRT soon. Our 98 B-Line (one of the three b-lines) is being replaced with the Canada Line (see that thread). Vancouver should follow YRT in terms of their BRT planning.
deasine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2007, 08:33 PM   #91
Electrify

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
TTC stopped that service a number of years back, but aren't the times based on schedule rather than real-time?
The displays on the Viva stops are supposed to be real time, though on occaision they are less accurate than they should be. You can also call up a 1-800 number and find out when the next bus is supposed to come (very handy considering how infrequent the service is on many routes, and that few stops have schedules posted on them). These times are based on schedules though.
Old October 18th, 2007, 10:57 AM   #92
hkskyline
Hong Kong

From my experience, the VIVA schedules are fairly accurate, although it would've been better had they incorporated the YRT Yonge bus schedules as well. But then, I don't think those older buses are equipped with GPS and the technology yet.

The key to VIVA's success is further intensification of the main corridors, namely Yonge and Hwy 7. Then there'll be plenty of riders to keep the system profitable. Also, they need to build that connection at the Hwy 7 transfer point with Langstaff GO. A very logical transit point. Don't know why they didn't do it long ago.

Old October 18th, 2007, 06:55 PM   #93
Electrify

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
From my experience, the VIVA schedules are fairly accurate, although it would've been better had they incorporated the YRT Yonge bus schedules as well. But then, I don't think those older buses are equipped with GPS and the technology yet.

The key to VIVA's success is further intensification of the main corridors, namely Yonge and Hwy 7. Then there'll be plenty of riders to keep the system profitable. Also, they need to build that connection at the Hwy 7 transfer point with Langstaff GO. A very logical transit point. Don't know why they didn't do it long ago.
I was once on a late night 99/98 bus, and up until RHC it was showing up on the Viva displays as a Viva Blue route. I've only seen this once though. And I REALLY have no idea why they did not build the bridge at RHC first. Only thing I can think of is to supress conections with GO and force higher ridership on the Viva. Hell. if they were gonna spend so much on a terminal station, at least have it enclosed so you aren't freezing your ass off in winter waiting 20 minutes for a Viva Purple to come along!!!
Old October 19th, 2007, 02:53 AM   #94
York Transit

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrify View Post
I was once on a late night 99/98 bus, and up until RHC it was showing up on the Viva displays as a Viva Blue route. I've only seen this once though. And I REALLY have no idea why they did not build the bridge at RHC first. Only thing I can think of is to supress conections with GO and force higher ridership on the Viva. Hell. if they were gonna spend so much on a terminal station, at least have it enclosed so you aren't freezing your ass off in winter waiting 20 minutes for a Viva Purple to come along!!!
What do you mean? You mean the 99/98 was showing up on the VIVA bus stop variable signs?

Also, Regional Council has approved improvements to the open-air YRT/Viva Richmond Hill Centre Terminal, including ceiling mounted heaters for winter heating and enhanced shelter wind shields. 680 News.
York Transit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2007, 04:00 PM   #95
Electrify

Quote:
Originally Posted by York Transit View Post
What do you mean? You mean the 99/98 was showing up on the VIVA bus stop variable signs?

Also, Regional Council has approved improvements to the open-air YRT/Viva Richmond Hill Centre Terminal, including ceiling mounted heaters for winter heating and enhanced shelter wind shields. 680 News.
Yeah, it was coming up as 'Viva Blue' on the VIVA stop signs, even though the Viva service had ended an hour earlier. However north of Richmond Hill Center, it was saying Viva service had ended. So I wouldn't be too surprised if in the next 12 months it will display both Viva and YRT routes.

And yeah, I just read that they were going to add heating to RHC as well (as well as add some Viva stations), but they also just brought forth ANOTHER fare hike . I thought the vote for the fare increase was next week, and I was going to email my councilor and ask him to vote against it, and instead increase advertising on the Viva.

I really can't wait to move out of this county
Old March 5th, 2016, 11:40 PM   #96
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26118

TORONTO | Buses

This thread is about bus services in Toronto and suburbs. For bus routes, see here:
https://www.ttc.ca/Routes/Buses.jsp

For you:
Facebook & Flickr pages
dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2016, 08:24 AM   #97
dimlys1994

Some photos of Toronto buses:

TTC&#x27;s Pride Bus by Sean_Marshall, on Flickr

TTC Bus - Weston 89 by Jim Albani, on Flickr

Toronto Transit Commission - TTC 1106 by Chris Bourque, on Flickr

For you:
Facebook & Flickr pages
Old June 12th, 2016, 08:31 PM   #98
dimlys1994

Map of new 121 Fort York-Esplanade and 72B Pape bus routes, effective next Sunday:
http://www.ttc.ca/Service_Advisories...ice_june19.jsp

For you:
Facebook & Flickr pages
Old June 19th, 2016, 12:44 PM   #99
dimlys1994

From CP24:

Quote:
http://www.cp24.com/news/ttc-to-remo...tops-1.2949846

TTC to remove all remaining Sunday-only bus stops
Friday, June 17, 2016 8:35AM

The TTC will remove all 28 of its Sunday-only bus stops as of this weekend.

The stops were established in the 1920s to reduce walking distances to churches and are an average of about 125 metres away from adjacent regular stops. Typically TTC stops are located 300 to 400 metres apart

For you:
Facebook & Flickr pages
Old October 18th, 2016, 01:08 AM   #100
Highway 401
Ukraine - Israel - Canada

Likes (Received): 1376

Just now

dimlys1994 liked this post
Highway 401 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
buses, toronto