daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Architecture

Architecture news and discussions on all buildings types and urban spaces
» Classic Architecture | European Classic Architecture and Landscapes | Public Space | Shopping Architecture | Design & Lifestyle | Urban Renewal and Redevelopment

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 23rd, 2005, 05:30 AM   #1
Aaron King

Likes (Received): 0

PATH Toronto

I was walking through the PATH in Toronto today to get to work without going out in the rain. For those that don't know this is basically an underground shopping mall made of hallways that connects the bulk of the major office towers in the downtown core as well as the subway stations. Many Torontonians can go a long period of time without going outside in the winter, as far as I know if you live at or around Yonge and Bloor you could get as far as Hamilton or Oshawa without your head exposed to the elements. Two questions . . . 1. does anyone have pictures of the PATH?
and 2. is there anything else like this anywhere else in the world? perhaps New York or Chicago?
Aaron King no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 23rd, 2005, 05:41 AM   #2
Skybean
天豆

Likes (Received): 271

Montreal's underground system is pretty impressive as well... though I'm too lazy to find any pictures.
Old October 23rd, 2005, 06:49 AM   #3
thryve
같같같같같

Likes (Received): 22

Johannesburg, South Africa has some underground connections... nothing like PATH though...
thryve no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2005, 07:22 AM   #4
Byron
Never Nude

Likes (Received): 5

This guy has some great photos of the PATH, unfortunately I don't read Arabic so I don't know what he wrote about it.

http://tehrantonian.brinkster.net/To...ATH_Index.html
Old October 23rd, 2005, 07:24 AM   #5
asohn

Likes (Received): 24

New York has some similar undergroud concourses. The undergroud concourse at Rockefeler Center comes to mind.
asohn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2005, 07:25 AM   #6
algonquin

Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron
This guy has some great photos of the PATH, unfortunately I don't read Arabic so I don't know what he wrote about it.

http://tehrantonian.brinkster.net/To...ATH_Index.html
I LOVE his url.... tehrantonian... get it? Tehran? Arabic?

Come on people....
algonquin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2005, 07:33 AM   #7
Jaye101
Midtown Fella

Likes (Received): 9

lol yea, that guy's a joker.
Jaye101 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2005, 08:40 AM   #8
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

Chicago has an extensive pedway system with some retail I believe. I'll look it up later perhaps.

Last edited by spyguy999; October 23rd, 2005 at 08:47 AM.
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2005, 12:16 PM   #9
samsonyuen
SSLL

Likes (Received): 314

Not just Bloor and Yonge, but as far as the subway reaches. So you could go into the subway station at Finch and Yonge, Downsview Park, Kipling and Dundas W., or McCowan and Borough, and connect to the PATH. But the PATH itself goes only as far north as Yonge and Dundas. The Yorkville underground city is basically along Bloor, as far east as Park, and just west of Bay, and not connected to the PATH, except by subway.
samsonyuen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2005, 07:04 AM   #10
James Saito

Likes (Received): 2

Does PATH close at night?
I'm wondering if it doesn't get full of homeless people...
James Saito no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2005, 07:21 AM   #11
KGB

Likes (Received): 48

The retail part of PATH in the financial district closes after regular business hours (except for some bars/restaurants)...but the BAy/Eaton Centre is open late. Things like hotels and Union Station don't close obviously.

Other than the parts that are actually under the street (and public property), almost all of it is private property, and therefore they can keep the homeless out all they want...they all have security.

To clarify, PATH is one contigious underground system in the city...there are many others, which are linked underground because the subway links all of them...keeping it all underground/indoors.

KGB
KGB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2005, 05:13 PM   #12
Aaron King

just an aside to this, anyone in toronto think we need more subways? Wouldn't it be fantastic to get rid of all the streetcars and replace them with subways? it would clear up a lot of traffic on the surface and make commuting a breeze. Montreal is much smaller than Toronto and has a much more extensive subway system. What streets would you like to see the subway under? Eglinton? Queen? Bathurst?
Old October 25th, 2005, 10:19 PM   #13
samsonyuen
SSLL

Likes (Received): 314

I don't think every streetcar route can support a subway route. Could you imagine Dundas, Queen and King having subway routes to themselves? That would never justify its costs. But maybe a line under Queen someday would make sense. Montral's subway coverage downtown is more extensive, but outside of downtown, Toronto's is more extensive.
samsonyuen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2005, 06:24 PM   #14
Aaron King

understood . . . Queen I think would be the best option, especially with the expansion to the west end with city place etc etc, what about south of front? and then again south of the gardiner? . . . do we need Path? a subway? i had heard that for Expo who knows what year there was a plan to do a subway along the north shore of the lake to service those in the condo boom area. Then there's the whole debacle with Scarborough trans and it getting a possible subway. The problem i've heard is that the possibility is low on any further subways because the cost is around $150 million every new km of track. The subway needs to be expanded quite a bit, Path should be as well, yet another aside, anyone work in the PATH? is it depressing being underground all day?
Old October 31st, 2005, 08:42 AM   #15
Aaron King

anyone know the PATH really well? is there a good way to get from King and Peter or John area to Union station without going outside in the winter? As well anyone have pics of the PATH or of the similar concourses in New York, Chicago?
Old October 31st, 2005, 10:29 AM   #16
B.Tinoff

^PATH does not go that far. The closest entrance from King and Peter is the Merill Lynch bldg. (University Ave), which is is quite the detour.

Screw the cold, and hit the streets.

Last edited by B.Tinoff; October 31st, 2005 at 10:36 AM.
B.Tinoff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2005, 11:05 AM   #17
*UofT*

Likes (Received): 18

A bit offtopic, but Tehran is in Iran they dont speak Arabic they speak Farsi or Persian. Just clearing some misconceptions
*UofT* no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2005, 04:47 PM   #18
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

Thanks to Mark Spiegl's work:

Here's one section of it:
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2005, 07:08 PM   #19
zerokarma

Likes (Received): 12

I used to use the path system all the time when I worked in downtown Toronto, its awesome in the winter time. For those new to the path it is easy to get lost down there but if you are downtown long enough you figure it out pretty quickly.

Here's a PDF link of it:
http://www.pantageshotel.com/pdf/path_brochure.pdf

And here's the City of Toronto page about it with info and facts:
http://www.toronto.ca/path/
zerokarma no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2005, 10:25 PM   #20
cassius

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Tinoff
^PATH does not go that far. The closest entrance from King and Peter is the Merill Lynch bldg. (University Ave), which is is quite the detour.

Screw the cold, and hit the streets.
That's not exactly true. You can enter the PATH from just east of John St in Metro Hall. Once down there you go east past Roy Thompson Hall, through the system past the University line subway and down on to Union. I've done it a number of times to avoid the weather.

Here's a map of the system
http://www.toronto.ca/path/pdf/path_brochure.pdf
cassius no está en línea   Reply With Quote