daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 28th, 2005, 02:57 AM   #41
Aboveday

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent
hmm, the fire broke out not long after this thread has been created. It seems the building got cursed by some of the forumers here. hehe. Aboveday, is that you?
;-)

I feel so good...
Aboveday no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 31st, 2005, 02:17 AM   #42
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 17832

By FIRSTBUS_1008 from a Hong Kong transport forum :

By on11358 :

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2005, 05:03 AM   #43
Chad
Kickimus Gluteus Maximus

Likes (Received): 3668

I think the fire wasnt that bad, only because the scarfolding which is bamboo that on fire so make the pic looks worst.

-Imate pravo da ćutite, sve što budete rekli može i biće upotrebljeno protiv vas na forumu

You know you love me. XOXO.
Chad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2005, 06:25 AM   #44
spicytimothy
...::HK.:.:.:.LA::...

Likes (Received): 7

New rendering...

spicytimothy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2005, 07:06 AM   #45
Skybean
天豆

Likes (Received): 271

Hahah. What a monster of a building. Maximum density possible. Will there be any retail at the base?

Last edited by Skybean; November 1st, 2005 at 07:25 AM. Reason: Retail
Skybean no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2005, 07:28 AM   #46
CrazyCanuck
MOD SQUAD

Likes (Received): 28

That is just one massive slab, too bad about the fire though.
CrazyCanuck no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2005, 07:34 AM   #47
superchan7
EOS 40D

Likes (Received): 23

Hong Kong building podiums are becoming larger and larger. Is this amount of retail space really needed or maintainable?
Old November 1st, 2005, 08:16 AM   #48
spicytimothy

is it retail? I thought it's just parking and clubhouse...
Old November 1st, 2005, 01:44 PM   #49
Skyscrapercitizen
TIMBY

Likes (Received): 5447

It is retail sometimes. But it is also parking, clubhouse, portsfacilities, schools, medical services and whatever amanities you can think about. On the podium roof you can find parks most of the times. And in this one I can see a lot of green on the podium, so looking good!
Old November 1st, 2005, 05:04 PM   #50
Marathoner
Marathoner

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim de Bruijn
It is retail sometimes. But it is also parking, clubhouse, portsfacilities, schools, medical services and whatever amanities you can think about. On the podium roof you can find parks most of the times. And in this one I can see a lot of green on the podium, so looking good!
But it's rather a kind of isolation with the streets. That's a trend in the residential development of HK in the past 10 years. Usually, the whole residential estate(sometimes more than 10 blocks) stands on a podium which is private(only residents with pass can enter). The clubhouse & small mall provde a wide range of services & activities so you can get around there whole day without going out.

The trend actually decreases the interactions with the streets. That means there is less street life which used to be the centre part of HK life when I was small. Actually, all the shops & facilities are located in the mall & clubhouse. People just cannot have street life because there aren't any shop on the streets. Much less street scene can be seen. Also, every estates seems to be an isolated island without the continuity of shops on the streets. I think it's really a bad side of such trend except it's cleaner & more decent.
Marathoner no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2005, 12:59 AM   #51
Skyscrapercitizen
TIMBY

Likes (Received): 5447

treu, streetlife is important to keep the city livable and attractive!
Old November 2nd, 2005, 01:12 AM   #52
spicytimothy

i really don't think it's a problem... many big projects still build large malls within the project :-)
Old November 2nd, 2005, 04:05 AM   #53
scorpion
...starwood... :-D

Likes (Received): 4

i've seen renders that have the complex lit up in a Yellow-Glow for nighttime~~

hmmm...
scorpion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2005, 07:13 AM   #54
hkskyline
Hong Kong

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old November 11th, 2005, 12:24 PM   #55
Monkey
BANNED

Likes (Received): 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaka.ac
Towering inferno!
Monkey no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2005, 07:25 PM   #56
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Potential buyers wait for details on cause of blaze
27 October 2005
South China Morning Post

Potential buyers of One SilverSea's luxury apartments expressed reservations over purchases despite developers saying yesterday's fire would not affect prices or construction progress.

Some of the apartments which command a sea view have fetched $12,000 a sq ft, while the developer has said it hopes to achieve more than $20,000 per sq ft for its 3,000 sq ft penthouse in Tower One.

Potential buyer Andrew Cheng who visited show flats yesterday said he would have to think twice before purchasing a unit there, as Tower One, which was affected by the blaze, was his favourite.

"I am worried that the fire was caused by problems related to construction or structure of the building. This was not a small fire we are talking about. It was a No. 4 alarm fire.

"I will put my plans on hold until investigations by the Fire Services Department or the Buildings Department can prove that the blaze was not caused by construction or structure problems," he said.

Another potential buyer, businessman Lai Shing-sun, said he would not buy flats on sale at the construction site as he was worried about safety problems.

"I watched the news this morning and firemen said it was difficult to put out the fire because the building was too tall," he said.

But One SilverSea's developer Sino Land's general manager of sales and marketing, Mark Hahn Ka-fai, believed the fire would not have any impact on home prices.

Mr Hahn's optimistic comments were supported by undaunted potential buyers and one of them was Leung Chau who works in the dried seafood business.

"I am not too worried about it. As an old Chinese saying, fire only breaks out on land of wealth which means prosperity grows like burning fire. It is a good sign actually," he said after touring around the show flats.

Carol Tung, a 40-year-old housewife, shared his opinion and said she would still consider buying a flat at One SilverSea.

"It really depends on how serious that fire was and how severe the damage was. But I am not too worried about the blaze and I will just buy a flat there if I really like it," she said.

Meanwhile, Ricacorp Properties senior district manager Kenneth Woo said everything was normal in the wider market.

"It would be ridiculous for such minor accident to have a dampening effect on buying interest," he said.

Old November 20th, 2005, 08:14 AM   #57
hkskyline
Hong Kong

A few photos from afar :

Old November 20th, 2005, 01:57 PM   #58
Rachmaninov

Likes (Received): 24

That fire thing was quite a brilliant scene...
Rachmaninov no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2005, 04:06 PM   #59
InitialD18

Likes (Received): 0

i personally am quite against these type of development
but what we get is what the people demand ... islands on top of stations with everything u can think of ...
why wouldn't anyone want a super clubhouse, a subway station and 200 shops within 3 mins walk from home ...
however as u say it takes so much away from the streets
quite glad the most enormous of these islands aren't in the older parts of the city ...
InitialD18 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2005, 07:41 AM   #60
Skybean
天豆

Likes (Received): 271

Nov 20, 2005