daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 22nd, 2006, 06:14 PM   #161
kronik

Likes (Received): 26

Once again progress being held hostage to damn labor unions. Its a marvel that Philadelphia still moves ahead despite a corrupt city government, blackmailing unions and a creaking SEPTA. We fight on, coz thats the Philly way.

I drove past the center 2 days ago. Progressing along very nicely.
kronik no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 22nd, 2006, 11:01 PM   #162
TalB
Refugee

Likes (Received): 78

For an elevator shaft that was the sigh for it rising, it's pretty thin.

Zefire liked this post
TalB no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2006, 04:10 AM   #163
fish

Likes (Received):

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalB
For an elevator shaft that was the sigh for it rising, it's pretty thin.
I saw it in person on New Year's day and it looks quite big actually.

Zefire liked this post
Old March 24th, 2006, 04:15 AM   #164
volguus zildrohar
Slightly Hammered

Likes (Received): 0

It's actually very big, TalB, in comparison to the building. It will narrow, of course, as it rises but right now it takes up a large portion of the levels so far reached.
Old March 24th, 2006, 11:23 AM   #165
slow-v6
WS6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOldMan
I think it will make Phillys skyline look similar to Los Angeles, esp from a distance and at night. the Crown of the Comcast Center will be lit up very brightly at the top, just like the Library Tower. The spacing between the buildings and their realative heights will resemble LA's skyline.

I would say we would have a better skyline then Los Angeles when all of the top projects in the city going up right now are all done. LA would have a bit more height but we would have much better looking buildings overall.
It already is a better skyline in my opinion!!

\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.
slow-v6 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2006, 08:08 PM   #166
TheOldMan
RIP all NIMBYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow-v6
It already is a better skyline in my opinion!!

Yes, i agree with you on that. our skyline is more diverse and physically covers more ground. center city is actually twice the size of the Downtown Grid of Los Angeles. i was in LA not to long ago and always though LAs downtown core was larger than Phillys but it really is not.

with a tall box like structure tapering like comcast does, roughly centered and surrounded by 650-850 foot tall buildings, Philly will somewhat resemble LA. which is great. except our skyline is and will continue to be superior.
Get off the air you nitwit !!!
TheOldMan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2006, 01:03 AM   #167
Urban Dave
In Urbanity I Trust

Likes (Received): 1518

It's raising very fast!
Urban Dave no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2006, 06:31 PM   #168
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 17817

Take a stand on no-flush urinals
Anyone? Will civic pride go down the drain?
Our fearless city leaders sit this one out

By Inga Saffron
Inquirer Architecture Critic
26 March 2006
The Philadelphia Inquirer

All Liberty Property Trust wanted to do was install 116 environmentally friendly waterless urinals at its new Comcast Center tower so it could compete for the title of America's tallest green building. But the answer from Philadelphia's plumbers union was, in so many words, go flush it.

The situation, my hard-boiled editor said, cried out for a major urinalysis. Call Mayor Street! Ring up the six guys who want his job in 2007! Find out where they stand when it comes to urinals. Ask how they would handle the trade unions who call the shots on Philadelphia's construction projects.

Calls went out Thursday to the Significant Seven: Street, U.S. Rep. Chaka Fattah, Councilman Michael Nutter, State Rep. Dwight Evans, former City Controller Jonathan Saidel, insurance exec Thomas Knox, and union guy John Dougherty, head of the electricians local.

The mayoral election is just around the corner. Surely the hopefuls would want to step up with a big, bold statement on the burning issue of no-flush urinals. The devices, which are in dozens of buildings around the country, would help Philadelphia conserve 1.6 million gallons of water a year and take pressure off its overburdened sewer system. More than that, the urinals promise to bring national glory to Philadelphia and the Comcast Center, rising at 17th Street and JFK Boulevard.

Responses began to trickle in.

Street: No comment.

Saidel and Evans: No response.

Fattah dispatched his emissary, spokesman Ron Goldwyn: "Congressman Fattah has no comment on this issue," he said dryly in an e-mail.

Dougherty was more of a stand-up guy: "He plans to talk to his brothers and sisters in the plumbers union to learn more about the technological, ecological and labor issues involved in waterless urinals," his spokesman, Frank Keel, e-mailed.

Nutter got on the horn personally. "I'm no expert on the subject of waterless urinals," he began tentatively, but soon the floodgates were open: "To continue to be a great city, you have to make sure you're on the cutting edge of technology... . Sustainability is fundamentally the direction we should be moving."

Knox, the millionaire businessman who is described on www.thenextmayor.com as having a $5 million campaign chest but "little or no name recognition," would take no position on the urinals but offered this stream of thought: This problem "just takes leadership," he said. "You'd have to get everyone together in a room. It shouldn't take more than a half-hour to resolve."

Actually, the mayor's people already have tried that. In January, Commerce Director Stephanie Naidoff hosted negotiations at City Hall with representatives from Liberty, the Delaware Valley Green Building Council, and the city's Department of Licenses and Inspections, which enforces building standards.

It was a washout.

"We're still looking into this," said Robert D. Solvibile Sr., who runs L&I.

There has been mounting pressure for Solvibile to take control of the situation since this paper ran a story on the dispute a week ago. "I've never gotten so many e-mails on a subject," he marveled. "And giant postcards, too."

Because waterless urinals are relatively new, Philadelphia's building code does not provide for them, and Liberty needs city approval for their use in the Comcast tower. The state, however, not only allows the devices, it also promotes them.

But that doesn't hold water with city plumbers, who are blocking the urinals because they require less pipe - and less work.

Edward Keenan, head of Plumbers Local 690, phoned unexpectedly, two weeks after first being called for comment. "I'm still doing my homework on this," the plunger in chief said. "I don't want to make a statement. And when I do, it will be in writing."

Meanwhile, the 2006 urinal debate has been simmering in the blogosphere. By Friday, Phillyblog.com's forum had received 2,885 page views and 154 posts. Nearly all wrote to say the plumbers union - whose members number 1,800 - is all wet.

"So," a blogger named Joely wrote, "you could say Philadelphia loses by a flush" if Comcast does not receive a certificate from the U.S. Green Building Council.

Waterless urinals aren't as experimental here as city officials contend. SEPTA installed them last year when it renovated the restrooms at its Market Street headquarters, although there seems to be some dispute about whether the agency obtained the proper permits.

Hogwash, Solvibile said. "They're in violation of the code," he claimed. "We're taking them to court."

"It figures," complained a municipal reform activist, who was wishy-washy about being named. "The plumbers union doesn't care if the city goes down the toilet as long as they get the plumbing work."

But Thomas Chapman, head of city planning, called to say it was about policy, not plumbers: "I can tell you this," he said effusively. "We support green design practices. We're going to encourage developers to use green design."

Yeah, yeah, but what about waterless urinals?

No comment.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2006, 09:48 PM   #169
eastwestrob
Daddyrabbit

Likes (Received): 9

Any recent updated Pic's...Comcast is now 3 pages back
eastwestrob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2006, 10:18 PM   #170
TroyBoy

Likes (Received): 15

Do waterless urannals smell bad? The ones iv used are all nasty.

Is anything other than the core up yet, if not when will the start with it?
Old April 3rd, 2006, 10:46 PM   #171
Tom_Green
Dr.Med. Tom Green

Likes (Received): 3404

pics from yesterday by MJPhilly (SSP)

Tom_Green no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2006, 11:12 PM   #172
eastwestrob
Daddyrabbit

Likes (Received): 9

Thank you Tom_Green
eastwestrob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2006, 02:15 AM   #173
CULWULLA

Likes (Received): 10144

wow, a 14storey core and NO floor plates. looks like builders forgot something.lol.jk.
thanks mr green.
Old April 4th, 2006, 04:25 AM   #174
*Sweetkisses*

Likes (Received): 2

They DID begin the floor plates. It hasnt reached street level, thats all.
*Sweetkisses* no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2006, 09:50 AM   #175
slow-v6
WS6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant
It's amazing how liberty one was a top 20 worlds tallest and now top 50. The Comcast Center will be a great addition to the Philadephia Skyline.. But it will make the skyline look as if it needs taller buildings. Several 1k footers or 7 hundred footers..

I agree with you.. It would be nice to see some 700-1000 footers over in universcity city or up by the saint james..

\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.
slow-v6 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2006, 10:14 AM   #176
Mosaic
BANGKOK

Likes (Received): 758

The core is really hugh. Very nice updates.
Mosaic no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2006, 10:32 AM   #177
Skyscrapercitizen
TIMBY

Likes (Received): 5437

Always nice to see a core going up first.
Old April 5th, 2006, 03:29 AM   #178
fish

Likes (Received):

The section of downtown Philadelphia ("Center City"), subsection, "Market East" is so under developed.

With the exception of The Gallery, Independence Park, PSFS, and a few others, it's very low key.

Philadelphia, like Manhattan, has rivers on both sides.
When you look at Manhattan, you see skyscrapers from river to river.

Philadelphia would benefit from some east side towers.

Oh and don't just build along Market St. either, but extend it North and South and fill it in.

I'd rather have a multi-level parking garage with a nearby skyscraper than an empty parking lot or some run-down low-rise buildings.

Zefire liked this post
Old April 5th, 2006, 04:08 AM   #179
Woko

Quote:
Originally Posted by CULWULLA
wow, a 14storey core and NO floor plates. looks like builders forgot something.lol.jk.
thanks mr green.

Lol!! it's true!!!
Great uptade. Thank you Tom_green.
Woko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2006, 07:23 AM   #180
fish

Likes (Received):

What would be interesting if Comcast secretly adds a spire at the end of the construction, much in the way the Chrysler Building did.

Oh hey, didn't we mention a spire? Oh sorry, must've slipped our minds.

Zefire liked this post

Tags
comcast tower, philadelphia, philly