daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 29th, 2005, 03:55 AM   #61
weill
North Roanoke

Likes (Received): 4

nice...
weill no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 29th, 2005, 05:27 PM   #62
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

Likes (Received): 2

I don't recall saying a word about destroying the ballroom. Read the post more carefully... I said the tower should emanate from the ballroom roof (meaning the building below remains intact).
geoff_diamond no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2005, 07:17 PM   #63
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

Perhaps they are serious?

From Crain's:

Yours for $7 mil.: TV tower naming rights

The developers who plan to build a 2,000-foot-tall broadcast tower on the lakefront are trying to find a corporate sponsor who would pay $7 million to $10 million a year for naming rights. "That's pretty much the going rate," says Chicago developer J. Paul Beitler, who is teaming up with Chicago-based LR Development on the project at Lake Shore Drive and Illinois Street. If built, the structure would be the world's tallest free-standing broadcast tower. [Alby Gallun]
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2005, 09:06 PM   #64
Suburbanite

Likes (Received): 5

Ok, this may be about the nerdiest comment on this website but doesn't this TV tower look a little bit like a modern version of the tower of Isengard in "Lord of the Rings". The three prongs on top seem a bit familiar. I bet if someone posted of picture of them side by side they would look quite similar but I could be wrong. I smell a rip off!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy999
This was on archidose:

Suburbanite no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2005, 01:36 AM   #65
STR
What'u smokin' Willis?

Likes (Received): 104

^No, that actually seems to be the common sentiment; too much LotR, not enough Chicago.
Old October 30th, 2005, 05:07 AM   #66
wickedestcity
BANNED

Likes (Received): 26

lol thats so funny , i thought id seen that design somwere befor! lord of the rings!
wickedestcity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2005, 05:08 AM   #67
wickedestcity
BANNED

Likes (Received): 26

double post --deleted--

Last edited by wickedestcity; October 30th, 2005 at 09:47 AM.
wickedestcity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2005, 07:50 AM   #68
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Yours for $7 mil.: TV tower naming rights
Ugh... just what we need... a tower named "Summer's Eve Spire."
geoff_diamond no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2005, 05:45 PM   #69
GuitarAce
Turn it WHAT?!

Likes (Received): 0

If Fordham actually gets built and this thing goes up right next to it, I might puke. I just don't like the idea of a TV tower distracting the eye from a real skyscraper.
GuitarAce no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2005, 05:51 PM   #70
Frumie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarAce
If Fordham actually gets built and this thing goes up right next to it, I might puke. I just don't like the idea of a TV tower distracting the eye from a real skyscraper.
Nor live in the Fordham with a TV tower for a view.
Frumie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2005, 11:11 PM   #71
spyguy
Expert

Does anyone have the Sunday Tribune? Supposedly there's a night time rendering of this tower in their (Blair Kamin piece). Anyone mind scanning it for me?
Old November 1st, 2005, 05:08 AM   #72
Chicago Shawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by STR
^No, that actually seems to be the common sentiment; too much LotR, not enough Chicago.
Actually this is an old design that has resurfaced. The original proposal came out around 2002 for the site at 300 N. LaSalle, before the Lord of the Rings was released.
Chicago Shawn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2005, 01:09 AM   #73
Suburbanite

Likes (Received): 5

^It still looks too similar for comfort. If this thing gets built that is what I will think about every time I see it.
Suburbanite no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2005, 09:14 PM   #74
spyguy
Expert

From the Tribune:

My how far down this topic has gone. Anyway, in the Blair Kamin article they actually mention 500 LSD surprisingly. Even though the details weren't made public, the neighbors seemed please with it and some [doggy] park that it had and then the next morning they woke up to TALL Tower. The rest goes on about canyonization blah blah blah.
Old November 12th, 2005, 09:17 PM   #75
Azn_chi_boi
BANNED

Likes (Received): 12

It doesn't look the above picturesa are drawn to scale... The Aon looks as tall as the Fordham's roof, and the Spire of the trump is too small.

Was that in today's newspaper?
Azn_chi_boi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2005, 09:21 PM   #76
spyguy
Expert

I agree. When I saw the first and saw Fordham's roof was the same as Aon's I knew they screwed it up again. In the second one, however, Fordham is a lot taller than Aon, but the perspective is a little different.
Old November 12th, 2005, 10:58 PM   #77
Chi_Coruscant

Hmmmm....Waterview is missing.
Chi_Coruscant no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2005, 11:15 PM   #78
Effer
E Pluribus Unum

Likes (Received): 226

Don't you guys think that the TV tower is too close to the Fordham?
Effer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2005, 02:09 PM   #79
Chi_Coruscant

Is anyone tuning in to Beitler's TV tower plan?

November 16, 2005

BY DAVID ROEDER SUN-TIMES COLUMNIST

Since developer J. Paul Beitler detailed plans last month for a 2,000-foot-tall tower for TV antennas on the Chicago lakefront, the hand he's holding in the deal has been a mystery.

Beitler, known for office skyscrapers and an unrealized plan in the 1980s for a "world's tallest building,'' has said he's advancing the antenna tower based on an agreement with Chicago TV stations. The nature of that agreement and whether it binds the stations to negotiating through him are points he won't discuss, citing confidentiality pledges. It was, however, enough to convince LR Development Co. to let Beitler propose the tower on land it owns at Peshtigo and Illinois in Streeterville.

But other sources say Beitler has no deals with any station. They say the Beitler plan is probably just a phantom conjured by the stations to force better terms from Sears Tower and John Hancock Center.

An architect of the Beitler feint is said to be Joe Ahern, general manager of WBBM-Channel 2. In an interview at Tuesday's lavish "groundbreaking'' for the CBS building on Block 37, Ahern said he has made no commitments to Beitler. "We've talked to a couple of developers. We remain interested and we'll see what happens,'' Ahern said.

Informed of those remarks, Beitler replied, "He should not have said that to you. He has violated the agreement and I don't want to get myself caught up in a violation of the confidentiality.'' He emphasized that the slender tower is more than just a TV mast, that it will be a new attraction for crowds drawn to Navy Pier.

So will this giant get built? If it's anything like the TV interests' plotting of the late 1990s, the notion will be dropped as soon as Sears and Hancock come down in price. As one source said, "Nobody's kidding anybody on this. If the TV stations don't want to deal with Beitler, they can get out of it.''
Chi_Coruscant no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2005, 12:42 AM   #80
Wu-Gambino

Likes (Received): 109

Yeah, it would be better at the end of Navy Pier. Wouldn't it block part of the view of the Fordham Spire's observation deck (assuming it would have one)?
Wu-Gambino no está en línea   Reply With Quote