daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 17th, 2005, 12:44 AM   #81
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

It probably won't have one though.
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 17th, 2005, 02:04 AM   #82
wickedestcity
BANNED

Likes (Received): 26

i need for this thing to be way the hell away form that location,at least a mile away from the forham in order for me to be ok with it.
wickedestcity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2005, 03:11 AM   #83
uberalles
Boca Raton,FL (x-Chicago)

Likes (Received): 0

Yes, put it somewhere far from Fordham. the only thing that would look good next to the Fordham would be another twin Fordham. Now wouldn't that be cool.
uberalles no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2005, 09:13 PM   #84
XCRunner

I think Fordham is totally kick-ass, but having 2 2000 ft. structures that close together will bring the skyline's center of gravity too far north if you ask me. I really want Fordham to get built, but this I could take or leave. I think it's an ok idea, but only if it's farther from the fordham. On the other hand, I keep thinking, "what if this just takes some getting used to?" Who knows, it could end up looking great. Everybody hated soldier field, but now most are at least ok with it. I'll have to think about this one.
Old November 22nd, 2005, 05:13 AM   #85
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

Likes (Received): 2

Speak for yourself XCR... I still think soldier looks like something my cat vomited up last week :\
geoff_diamond no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2005, 06:44 AM   #86
chindy

How come I don't see this under the proposed section in SSP? Is anything happening with this anymore? Personally I think its a refreshing design. I agree that the location could be better suited somewhere else however.
Old November 30th, 2005, 07:20 AM   #87
spyguy
Expert

It is on the boom thread.
Old November 30th, 2005, 09:09 AM   #88
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2761

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff_diamond
Speak for yourself XCR... I still think soldier looks like something my cat vomited up last week :\

LMAO...True. Even though it is very nice on the inside and unique (compared to other NFL stadiums) we just have very high expectations here especially for ANYTHING that goes alongside our lakefront. It is not so much that it is "bad" (I have seen far worse new NFL stadiums) in that it is not hard to imagine it could have been done better.

I guess the same thing could be said for the UC (though again it is at least average compared to arenas). It could have been much better and invotative yet it is not sitting on our lakefront.
nomarandlee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2006, 11:51 PM   #89
Chi_Coruscant

Bump............

- edit
Chi_Coruscant no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2006, 11:58 PM   #90
ChiLooper
Da Bears

Likes (Received): 3

As Hawk would say: Right size, wrong shape
Old February 5th, 2006, 12:04 AM   #91
spyguy
Expert

Meh. Sad what has happened to Beitler but I'm still indifferent to this tower.
Old February 5th, 2006, 12:22 AM   #92
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Likes (Received): 882

I can't really say that I'm disappointed. I never particularly liked this tower, and I don't think that the location was a good one for that particular design. To be honest, I'd rather see the LR/Perkins + Will condo tower there.
BVictor1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2006, 04:38 AM   #93
ChicagoLover

^ I second BVictor's sentiments. If Carley can score the HD TV antennae, he has a greater chance of financing Fordham Spire. For that reason, I see this as simply an obstacle to Fordham Spire. And its not a particularly innovative or interesting obstacle. If its ever built, I doubt people will ever marvel at it for anything other than its sheer size.

That said, Beitler has done some awesome buildings in his day. 181 West Madison is a stellar building I think. Its actually probably one of, if not my favorite skyscraper in Chicago. Refined and subtle exterior design, and the barrel vaulted lobby is gorgeous. And Beitler's renovation of 360 North Michigan to its former glory was something to be thankful for as well. I worked in that building prior and during part of the renovation in space that is now occupied by Crain's Chicago Business. When owned by Helmsley, that building was in a pretty sorry state, with '70s-era drop ceilings in the public areas and such. Now its a gem.
ChicagoLover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2006, 04:44 AM   #94
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2761

Someone should tell Beitler that to redeem himself for the last 10 years and to make a comeback to bring back the Skyneedle. That would really be putting himself back on the map.
nomarandlee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2006, 11:31 PM   #95
spyguy
Expert

http://www.crainschicago.com/cgi-bin/news.pl?id=19520

Reschke says he and developer Beitler make amends
Two had disagreement over Beitler's proposed TV tower
By Alby Gallun

Michael Reschke says he has made amends with fellow real estate developer J. Paul Beitler after threatening to file a lawsuit over Mr. Beitler’s plan to build a 2,000-foot-tall broadcast tower near Navy Pier.

“Using a metaphor, we sort of kissed and made up,” Mr. Reschke said Monday.

Mr. Reschke felt anything but affection toward Mr. Beitler earlier this month, when he charged that the developer cut him out of a written agreement to build the tower together as equal partners. Mr. Beitler argued that the two had agreed to develop the tower on a parcel at 300 N. LaSalle St. owned by Mr. Reschke, but that deal terminated when Mr. Reschke sold the property last year.

Mr. Beitler found a new site, at Lake Shore Drive and Illinois Street, and reached a handshake agreement with property’s owner, a joint venture of Chicago-based LR Development Co. and Virginia-based JER Partners, to build the broadcast tower there.

That didn’t sit well with Mr. Reschke.

Calling Mr. Beitler “delusional,” he contended that the earlier agreement allowed for the sale of 300 N. LaSalle and the construction of the tower on another site. He warned that he was preparing to go to court to enforce the pact.

To hear Mr. Reschke tell it, it appears he has won the argument.

“I think Paul has come around and is acknowledging that we are partners and have been partners,” he said. “I never wanted anything other than to live by the documents.”

Mr. Beitler was not immediately available for comment.

The developers still need to sign leases with local television stations, win the approval of city officials and secure financing for project, which will double as a tourist attraction.

“Whatever option we pursue,” Mr. Reschke said, “we’re not going to fight between us.”
Old February 13th, 2006, 11:42 PM   #96
wickedestcity
BANNED

Likes (Received): 26

they got a looooooong bumpy road ahead for this one. if they change the location it would prob run a bit smoother for them.
wickedestcity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2006, 11:56 PM   #97
Chi_Coruscant

I was initially skeptical about TV tower project because of Beitler's name attached to it. Now, I am still skeptical whether this will be built or not, depending on City Hall's attitude toward TV Tower and SOAR's oppositional stand.
It seems that Beitler is trying to make a comeback with a large public project. His recent project is office management services to the Randolph St. train station.

I guess I could call P. Beitler a "Desperate Real Estate Developer."
Chi_Coruscant no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2006, 04:42 AM   #98
SkokieSwift

They should put this thing @ Wolf Point. Imagine it and FS bookending the Main Branch of the Chicago River...
SkokieSwift no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2006, 03:46 PM   #99
danthediscoman

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkokieSwift
They should put this thing @ Wolf Point. Imagine it and FS bookending the Main Branch of the Chicago River...
Stick it in Toronto they seem to be in love with their hideous CN tower...(which this is uglier than CN)! These types of towers remind me of the 80's or something when everyone had those stupid satellite's in their lawn that blocked their entire house and rebellious kids would use as slides...No thank you on this one...Send it to Toronto their drooling!
danthediscoman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2006, 09:38 PM   #100
Suburbanite

Likes (Received): 5

^Nah, this project is at least better than the CN tower. At least the Tall Tower looks sleek and modern. CN just looks clunky and dowdy...never been a big fan of CN myself.

Last edited by Suburbanite; February 14th, 2006 at 09:44 PM.
Suburbanite no está en línea   Reply With Quote