daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 15th, 2006, 02:33 AM   #101
Dale

Likes (Received): 5505

I think this one is tons better looking than the CN Tower.
Dale no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 16th, 2006, 05:11 AM   #102
wickedestcity
BANNED

Likes (Received): 26

Staubach casts shadow on Beitler's tower plan

March 15, 2006

BY DAVID ROEDER SUN-TIMES COLUMNIST Advertisement

Developer J. Paul Beitler has had a hard time selling Streeterville residents and the city on his plan for a 2,000-foot-tall mast for digital TV antennas on the lakefront. And now he has competition from a real estate firm pitching local broadcasters on the same idea.

Staubach Co. has met with an informal committee of the leading Chicago TV stations to discuss sites and costs of the tower. Fran Preston, station manager of WBBM-Channel 2, said Staubach representatives suggested a site near Soldier Field and the museum campus. She didn't recall the specific property, but her description points to land within the Central Station residential development.
Hugh Murphy, senior vice president at Staubach, said his firm has not pushed for any particular site. "We have talked with the TV stations about different concepts," he said, adding that Staubach was representing no outside developer or landowner. Staubach has a close connection to Channel 2, as it represented the station in its lease negotiations for a new downtown studio and in the sale of its McClurg Court home.

Preston said the broadcasters previously had an agreement to conduct their property search through Beitler, but the deal lapsed in mid-February.

The stations are looking for antenna space to gain leverage with the owners of Sears Tower and the John Hancock Center, Chicago's two hosts for broadcast signals. The thinking is that the stations need a realistic alternative to extract better lease terms from owners of those two properties.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/roede...roeder151.html

Last edited by wickedestcity; March 19th, 2006 at 09:33 PM.
wickedestcity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2006, 09:37 PM   #103
wickedestcity
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedestcity
Staubach Co. has met with an informal committee of the leading Chicago TV stations to discuss sites and costs of the tower. Fran Preston, station manager of WBBM-Channel 2, said Staubach representatives suggested a site near Soldier Field and the museum campus. She didn't recall the specific property, but her description points to land within the Central Station residential development

if they decide to bulild a 2000ft antena tower here , i would be ok with it. its far enough away from the fordham spire . and it would help better connect the skyline of the south loop to the rest of tthe skyline.
Old March 20th, 2006, 12:35 AM   #104
Frumie

Likes (Received): 0

Chicago is a city of "talls" obviating any need for a 2000ft utility pole. Best bet and most logical location is its incorporation into the Fordham Spire.
Old March 20th, 2006, 01:04 AM   #105
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

I don't think any 2000ft tower is going to be built outside of Fordham Spire. Central Station? Yeah right. It's just a ploy to get some concessions out of Sears and JHC.
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2006, 05:21 AM   #106
danthediscoman

Likes (Received): 1

Yeah this whole 2000ft communications tower of cement thing seems very "Tokyo-ish" for some reason. I don't think anyone would want to have this scar Chicago's skyline...its not even graceful looking just
danthediscoman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2006, 11:06 AM   #107
Audiomuse
Civilization

Likes (Received): 42

I am surprised almost none of you like it. To me it actually looks like a tall building and is very futuristic looking.
Old March 25th, 2006, 04:36 PM   #108
High Life on LSD
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by macon4ever
I am surprised almost none of you like it. To me it actually looks like a tall building and is very futuristic looking.
I think most people have a problem with the location proposed rather than that of the building itself. I think it would be great to build it somewhere else like next to McCormick Place.
High Life on LSD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2006, 06:31 AM   #109
danthediscoman

THIS WAS DOA. Terrible design and terrible location. Very excited this was scrapped.
danthediscoman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2006, 06:42 AM   #110
ChiLooper
Da Bears

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by danthediscoman
THIS WAS DOA. Terrible design and terrible location. Very excited this was scrapped.
Old November 29th, 2006, 02:34 PM   #111
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan

Likes (Received): 882

It's baaccckkkkk..........

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...i-business-utl

INSIDE COMMERCIAL REAL ESTATE

Broadcast tower plan off the ground again
BY SUSAN DIESENHOUSE. Tribune staff reporter Blair Kamin contributed to this report

Published November 29, 2006

Developer J. Paul Beitler's long struggle to build an ultratall, iconic Chicago tower just got a new lease on life.

For years, Beitler has been trying to develop a $325 million, 2,000-foot-high broadcast tower designed by star architect Cesar Pelli to serve a new generation of digital broadcast technology.

By 2009, the federal government will require television broadcasters to transmit signals digitally. Today, analog technology pervades the airwaves.

In 2005, Beitler proposed building near Navy Pier the tower he touted as one of the world's tallest structures. It would have been close to another possible Chicago icon: the proposed $1.2 billion, 2,000-foot-high lakefront residential spire designed by Spanish architect Santiago Calatrava that would rise above Chicago's tallest building, the 1,450-foot-high Sears Tower.

But having two soaring structures dominate the shoreline didn't seem to fly with city officials or Streeterville neighbors. So, Beitler started talking to spire developer Christopher T. Carley about mounting the broadcast equipment atop his tower.

Last summer, however, Irish developer Garrett Kelleher, intent on building the Calatrava design, bought the spire site from Carley.

Now, the tower's top seven floors most likely will house luxury condominiums rather than digital broadcast facilities, a Kelleher spokesman, Chicago attorney Thomas J. Murphy, said Tuesday.

"We're 99 percent sure we won't do a broadcast tower," Murphy said in an interview. It's a "business that we don't know anything about."

Also, he added, broadcasters can now use antennas on the Sears and Hancock towers.

In addition, for aesthetic reasons, the proposed Calatrava spire will have underground, rather than surface, parking, Murphy said. Without a separate garage, Kelleher could more closely conform to Calatrava's vision of a design that focuses on one elegant high-rise, Murphy explained.

That decision clears a path for Beitler to again seek to build a separate 2,000-foot-high broadcast tower elsewhere.

In September, he agreed to take a 99-year ground lease from Sunbelt Management Co. of Delray Beach, Fla., on a 50,000-square-foot site at Illinois Street and Columbus Drive.

Beitler said he has financing commitments, and next month expects the city's major English- and Spanish-language broadcast outlets to sign lease agreements. By April, he plans to seek City Hall approval.

"Current broadcast facilities are adequate but antiquated," he said.
BVictor1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2006, 07:04 PM   #112
wickedestcity
BANNED

thats just as close as the prev. site WTF dont theis guys have any brains?
Old November 29th, 2006, 11:32 PM   #113
ChicagoNight

Likes (Received): 4

So wait, to be clear, is "city hall approval" the approval to build the building itself? Or is it approval of something else?
ChicagoNight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2006, 11:36 PM   #114
BhamDKH
Oranje boven alles!

This building kind of reminds me of the Pearl of the Orient TV Tower in Shanghai (3 columns in a part, dominates the skyline).
BhamDKH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2006, 11:38 PM   #115
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Likes (Received): 2

I'm not a big fan of the Orient TV Tower. It kinda makes the skyline look cheesy.

Anyways - if Beitler really wants to make a splash, why not move it to Wolf Point and get it the hell away from CS?
ardecila no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2006, 11:46 PM   #116
ChicagoNight

Likes (Received): 4

I actually dont mind the building itself... but it may look bad because apparently, it would be built within 5 blocks of chicago spire
ChicagoNight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2006, 11:54 PM   #117
creil

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
I'm not a big fan of the Orient TV Tower. It kinda makes the skyline look cheesy.

Anyways - if Beitler really wants to make a splash, why not move it to Wolf Point and get it the hell away from CS?

Wolf Point would better serve as a park.

This tower has no place in the skyline. Ugly and pointless. It would look ridiculous anywhere near the Spire. Put it in Gary.

creil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2006, 12:18 AM   #118
SkylineHeaven
Chicago: One and Only

Likes (Received): 32

GREAT NEWS!!!!
I love this TV tower cause it will be the first and its look is awsome!
I think that they should broke the world's tallest structure record here people, instead of 2000 ft, why not aim for 3000 ft, considering the future need and height, it will definitely pay off!
Lets go for the world's tallest structure in Chicago!

Chicago Skyline Wallpaper - November, 2006

Chicago Skyline Heaven : Only da best of one and only!

City Skylines Heaven : Show us the best city skyline pix
SkylineHeaven no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2006, 12:22 AM   #119
SkylineHeaven

It needs to be taller and designs a city radar systems for weather, traffic, intrusion(aircraft, missile...ect)on top of its roof!

Last edited by SkylineHeaven; November 30th, 2006 at 12:27 AM.
Old November 30th, 2006, 12:34 AM   #120
SkylineHeaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by macon4ever View Post
I couldn't agree with you more!

The location(on its own) and height(1 mile+) wises need more adjustment tho!