daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 2nd, 2006, 07:18 PM   #141
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

Likes (Received): 6526

more 2000 footers for Chicago!!!
ZZ-II no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 2nd, 2006, 07:56 PM   #142
creil

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff_diamond View Post
With all due respect... two of the dumbest things I've ever read on this forum.

Right, because parks *cough* Vietnam Memorial *cough* do so well along the river and we need yet ANOTHER one. Especially in an area as easy to access as Wolf Point (sense the sarcasm).

I'm not even sure how to respond to this. This is, by far, the most ignorant comment I've ever read. Maybe we should knock down Sears, the Hancock, Chase Tower, Aon and 900 North - after all, they're sort of making our beautiful prarie-like CBD look a bit... congested... no? Long live prarie-grass and sprawl!!!
Instead of "tower" I should have said "antenna". I'm all for the Chicago Spire and Trump Tower and any new inspiring skyscrapers in the future that are well placed in the city. This antenna is not inspiring and would clutter the skyline (negatively) if placed near any of the other towers in place or UC.

If this thing goes right next to the Spire, it will only take away from the Spire being a focal point in our skyline. It surely won't enhance it. Of course I want to see more buildings across the skyline, but we're talking about defining points of our skyline; buildings that will pop into the imagination when somebody mentions Chicago. This antenna, to me, is ugly and pointless. It would be a shame to build it next to one of the defining peaks of our skyline because you take away from the majestic aura of that building. I would be much happier if this was redesigned and built into McCormick Place.

As far as Wolf Point goes, I stand by my statment. You call my comments dumb and ignorant, only to turn around and make a dumb and ignorant statement of your own. I work right across the river from the Vietnam memorial and I can see with my own eyes that it gets plenty of use. When ever the weather permits, you can see workers on lunch breaks and tourists during the day strolling through the park, catching a tan, and enjoying the reflective pond and monument.

Wolf Park would be a wonderful edition to our parks system. How is it so hard to access? It sits right next to the Orleans St Bridge over the main branch and the Kinzie St Bridge over the north branch. There is a Brown Line stop next door at the Merch Mart and a Blue Line stop across the river. Construction has started on the open lots across the north branch on Kinzie. This will be mostly residential property just a stones through away from Wolf Point. There's already a section of Townhomes over there (Kinzie Place I think it's called), there's a private dining and health club just north of it and, oh yeah, the Merch Mart is right next to it with tons off conventioneers and shoppers. So why, again, would this be a bad area for a park, because you really didn't give much of an explanation as to why it was bad, you just called it dumb and ignorant.

Last edited by creil; December 2nd, 2006 at 09:27 PM.
creil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2006, 03:09 AM   #143
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Likes (Received): 2

A park is already planned in Kinzie Station. The Residences at K Station claims that it is adjacent to a park. Whether this means a "real park", or just a garden on top of the parking podium, remains to be seen.

Actually, as I was riding the Northwest Line out today, I started thinking about Wolf Point. I'm actually in favor of open space there in some form, since it would be TOTALLY AMAZING to be in the center of the vast canyon of buildings, with an unobstructed view to all corners.

However, this is also a ridiculously primo site for a building. So, ideally, the architect would take a cue from Citibank Center in NYC and dedicate much of the lot to a cool plaza fronting the river, with leasable space cantilevered above. (it would also hopefully block 99% of the ugly visage of the Apparel Center)

This Telecom Tower, since it is supported on 3(?) pylons, would allow for much open space beneath and around the base. Also, it would have a much clearer broadcast path to the south, west, and north if placed at Wolf Point.
ardecila no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2006, 11:54 PM   #144
downtownVital.org
You can call me Dan

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
This Telecom Tower, since it is supported on 3(?) pylons, would allow for much open space beneath and around the base. Also, it would have a much clearer broadcast path to the south, west, and north if placed at Wolf Point.
Wouldn't the base of the tower be all parking? I guess I didn't get the impression of the being open, but I could be wrong.

I don't like it too well, certainly not near the Chicago Spire. It it were by McCormick, it may not be so bad, and could even tie in well with all of the Olympic plans for that area of town.

Not wild about the design either, maybe too futuristic for me. But it is somewhat innovative, so I'll give it that. My guess is that it will never (well, never is a long time) happen though.

http://www.downtownvital.org
downtownVital.org no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2006, 08:43 AM   #145
Chi649

Likes (Received): 12

Wolf point seems like a great spot for this. Also, I was thinking just a bit North of there near Ohio or Ontario street. Give it an observation and a good restaurant, it could be a major attraction there. That area already has a lot of foot traffic and I think tourists too. With all the buildings going up on the south side, the north side needs more to balance out the skyline. But while were debating location, hasn't it already been decided where it will be?

One more point to note, I agree that we should wait for more renderings. Something like changing the color, which I hope will happen, could do wonders for this tower. I personally think a polished steel would look awesome, although I'm sure not realistic. Please, not beige concrete though.
Chi649 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2006, 07:16 AM   #146
Chicago_Skyline
BANNED

Likes (Received): 6

Great news! I really like its futurist design, lets make it the tallest in the world!
Chicago_Skyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2006, 11:24 PM   #147
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

is it possible that i'll have more than 2000 feet?
Old December 11th, 2006, 01:11 AM   #148
megatower
BANNED

Likes (Received): 34

no, because of the FAA. unless mayor Dayle say's he wants it to be taller. Dayle seems to get his way a lot.
megatower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2006, 01:14 AM   #149
Brendan

Likes (Received): 23

I do like the idea of having two 2000 footers next to each other. I think it gives the city a sense of height as well as creating a "Gateway" to the city.
Brendan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2006, 04:51 AM   #150
megatower
BANNED

Likes (Received): 34

true, but they won't be that close to each other
megatower no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2006, 05:54 AM   #151
Frumie

Likes (Received): 0

For at least two decades, Beitler has been nothing but smoke and mirrors.
Why should we buy into this scheme?
Old December 11th, 2006, 07:25 AM   #152
forumly_chgoman
BANNED

Likes (Received): 10

Just bring back the Skyneedle instead...it beats this thing
forumly_chgoman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2006, 01:13 AM   #153
Hecago

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by megatower View Post
no, because of the FAA. unless mayor Dayle say's he wants it to be taller. Dayle seems to get his way a lot.
Daley: w-w-w-WHAT THE HELL!? Make it taller!!!!

FAA: Yes master.
Hecago no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2006, 06:11 AM   #154
Colonel Cadillac

Likes (Received): 7

Why the hell is this proposal doing active again? Just when they redesign the Spire...somethings a little weird here. Just a thought.
Colonel Cadillac no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2006, 06:17 AM   #155
danthediscoman

Well, Toronto is probally drooling over this...so let em' have it.
danthediscoman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2006, 07:30 AM   #156
wickedestcity
BANNED

Likes (Received): 26

its amazing how any other city would take this in a heart beat while us chicagoans are all annoyed by it. lol
wickedestcity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2006, 04:24 AM   #157
Levelup
Just one higher...

I live in Liverpool UK where we're having our own lil building boom... but boy do i wish we had projects like these.
Support them people, they just look so fab!!!
Levelup no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2006, 08:27 PM   #158
exit_320

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedestcity View Post
its amazing how any other city would take this in a heart beat while us chicagoans are all annoyed by it. lol
I wouldn't really want this in Milwaukee.. but then again a 2000' structure would really look out of place
exit_320 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2006, 08:06 AM   #159
xAKxRUSx

Likes (Received): 7021

This tower is great.

But I do understand a bit why it might not fit in the Chicago skyline. Chicago's skyline is more rough and boxy. This is a bit smooth.

But at the same time, we should try to move away from the old, and try something new.

Time will tell.
xAKxRUSx no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2006, 11:28 PM   #160
ZZ-II
I love Skyscrapers

agree!