daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 26th, 2005, 01:05 PM   #1
TowersNYC
Carlos V

Likes (Received): 16

New York City: Ariel East and Ariel West, 31 & 37 stories...

Extell's Broadway towers are dissimilar

25-OCT-05

Renderings of the two condominiuim apartment towers that Extell Development Company has begun constructing facing one another on Broadway between 99th and 100th Streets indicate that they are very dissimilar.

The projects are known as Ariel East and Ariel West. Extell names it projects after stars.

Ariel East is a 37-story, 64-unit tower at 2628 Broadway designed by Cetra/Ruddy Incorporated and it features 7 setbacks facing Broadway and many corner windows.

Ariel West is a 31-story, 73-unit tower at 245 West 99th Street and 2633 Broadway designed by Cook & Fox and it has few setbacks and its slab from recalls that of 30 Rockefeller Plaza. It is a mid-block site that was formerly occupied by a Gristede’s store that collapsed during demolition injuring several pedestrians.

The two towers will significantly alter the northern skyline of the Upper West Side that heretofore has been dominated by the Riverside Church at 120th Street and Riverside Drive, the Master Apartments on Riverside Drive at 103rd Street and the Columbia Apartments at 275 West 96th Street.

Extell is also developing the Orion at 350 West 42nd Street and the former Stanhope Hotel at 985 Fifth Avenue and Altair 18 and Altair 20, condo conversions in Chelsea at 32 West 18th Street and 15 West 20th Street, respectively. Gary Barnett, a principal of Extell, was a principal in the recent purchase of a large property at the southern end of Riverside South, the huge development by Donald Trump.

Copyright © 1994-2005 CITY REALTY

I Love NY
TowersNYC no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 26th, 2005, 04:30 PM   #2
michal1982
Condom User

Likes (Received): 1

please show me pictures what is now on this place
michal1982 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2005, 08:42 PM   #3
Phobos

Ariel East is nice.The setbacks resemble a modern version of Art Déco style.
Old October 27th, 2005, 12:22 AM   #4
kazpmk

Likes (Received): 38

already under construction?! wow
Comcast Center, Philadelphia 1,121 ft UC Wilshire Grand, Los Angeles 1,100 ft UC
Three WTC, NY 1,079 ft UC Salesforce Tower, San Francisco 1,070 ft
53W53, New York 1,050 ft UC 35 Hudson Yards, New York 1,009 ft UC
One Manhattan West, New York 995 ft UC
kazpmk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2005, 12:32 AM   #5
Gerard
registered muse

Likes (Received): 735

This is the site where the cristedes supermarket was ?
That is already down then ?

Buildings are nice but a bit out of place in that neighbourhood. At least that is what i think. BTW " you can get a real good pizza there 1 block away at sal's.
Gerard no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2005, 12:35 AM   #6
Skyscrapercitizen
TIMBY

Likes (Received): 5558

The right one look really nice!
Old October 27th, 2005, 03:04 AM   #7
michal1982
Condom User

show the pictures of construction or what is now
Old October 27th, 2005, 05:13 AM   #8
Chad
Kickimus Gluteus Maximus

Likes (Received): 3689

The East looks proportionally fine but the West is obviously too ordinary looking.

-Imate pravo da ćutite, sve što budete rekli može i biće upotrebljeno protiv vas na forumu

You know you love me. XOXO.
Chad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2005, 03:09 AM   #9
TowersNYC
Carlos V

Construction Pics...

Ariel West:

Ariel East:

I Love NY
Old October 28th, 2005, 08:11 PM   #10
Phobos

Luckly the buildings won't replace typical New York brownstones.I hate when this happens
Old January 7th, 2006, 03:22 AM   #11
TowersNYC
Carlos V

photos by jularc

BONUS

There is another new building getting built close by these two on 93rd street and broadway. Not a big one though.

Rendering...

93rd and Broadway

I Love NY
Old January 9th, 2006, 04:50 AM   #12
TalB
Refugee

Likes (Received): 78

I was by the site of those new buildings a month ago, and they were excavating on both sides.
Old January 9th, 2006, 05:56 AM   #13
streetscapeer
hmmm......

Likes (Received): 26162

cool
streetscapeer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2006, 06:54 AM   #14
michal1982
Condom User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobos
Luckly the buildings won't replace typical New York brownstones.I hate when this happens
me too!
Old January 9th, 2006, 07:10 AM   #15
kazpmk

Likes (Received): 38

Quote:
I was by the site of those new buildings a month ago, and they were excavating on both sides.
Do you mean that excavatiopn is now ocurring at the Ariel East site?
Comcast Center, Philadelphia 1,121 ft UC Wilshire Grand, Los Angeles 1,100 ft UC
Three WTC, NY 1,079 ft UC Salesforce Tower, San Francisco 1,070 ft
53W53, New York 1,050 ft UC 35 Hudson Yards, New York 1,009 ft UC
One Manhattan West, New York 995 ft UC
kazpmk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2006, 08:06 AM   #16
krull
In Time

Likes (Received): 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowersNYC
Construction Pics...

Ariel West:

Ariel East:

Oh those are my pictures... I need to take more... Last week I walk by and they are still scavating. These will go up I am sure they will.
krull no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2006, 08:10 AM   #17
krull
In Time

Here is something that might go up that is around the neigborhood aswell...

Fate of "last" gas station on Upper West Side pondered

20-OCT-05

"It’s a strange block," remarked one of the members of the land use committee of Community Board 7 last night, referred to the 96th Street block between West End Avenue and Riverside Drive.

The broad street slopes downward sharply to the west from West End Avenue and then climbs upward at it gets closer to Riverside Drive and a major entrance to the West Side Highway. The great building on the northeast corner of Riverside Drive and 96th Street is aptly named the "Cliff" and it has wonderful façade decorations of the American West.

The bottom, or middle, of this block, has been used for automotive services for many years and recently one of them, the farthest to the west, was redeveloped with a large apartment building.

Now the second automotive service facility on the block at 303-311 Wests 96th Street is considering a "residential/neighborhood retail redevelopment" and the presentation to the committee last night threw some of the committee members in a loop, or tizzy.

Earlier in the evening, they had at great length discussed expansion plans for Fordham University near Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts and many members expressed concerns about its proposed addition of almost 550 more parking space on the small campus.

The site in question is on the north side of 96th Street and the next item on the committee’s agenda last night was the downzoning of the neighborhood above 96th Street. Richard Asche, the chairman of the committee, told James Heineman of the envirnonmental planning firm of Lemonides Heineman Associates, which was representing the owner of the garage, Martin Eagle, who was in attendance at the meeting, that a major upzoning was doubtful. DID Architects had plans for the site that called for a 20-story building with about 75 apartments, but apparently no decision has yet been made whether they will be rentals or condos.

A spokesperson for DID Architects said that Mr. Eagle had wanted to retain the gas station and garage and expand it slightly but that the city’s Department of City Planning had suggested he should go for a zoning change.

Tom Vitullo-Martin, a member of the committee, said that "if any area can sustain greater density" it was this block, adding that "it always looked odd, looked wasted."

"This will eliminate the only gas station above 59th Street on the Upper West Side," remarked one committee member, to which Lenore Norman, another committee member, responded that "a garage would be a detriment to people on the block and bad for property values."

Mr. Asche remarked that both arguments have merit, adding, however, that the city was getting to the point where "all service areas are given up," leading another committee member to say "Maybe we’re on the road to oblivion...of all garages."

Copyright © 1994-2005 CITY REALTY.COM INC.
Old January 9th, 2006, 12:32 PM   #18
Muse
Supernature

Likes (Received): 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobos
Ariel East is nice.The setbacks resemble a modern version of Art Déco style.
Agreed, in that major N.Y.C. tradition of numerous setbacks. Love the slenderness too.

Fortunately the nice little deco Metro Theatre isn't being sacrificed as juuust seen in the render of the first post. It will look so cute wedged in between. I love those kind of theatres. Unfortunately though, the nice creamish low-rise scraper to its left will go, eh?

Thanks for the scoops on the other projects too Carlos.
Muse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2006, 09:57 PM   #19
TalB
Refugee

Likes (Received): 78

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/12/ny...ty/12stre.html
On a Site With a Past, a Battle Goes On

By JAKE MOONEY
Published: February 12, 2006

Rendering of Ariel West building.

WHERE the Gristedes supermarket used to stand on Broadway between 99th and 100th Streets, there is a large hole in the ground, big enough to hold a few dozen workmen, an earth-moving machine and a hulking vehicle with a shiny metal pick in place of a scoop. Heavy trucks pull in and out on a ramp, which sits on the former site of two brownstones.

The property caught the city's notice in July, when the supermarket collapsed as workers were demolishing it, injuring 10 people, including a 7-month-old who was briefly buried inside her stroller but rescued when her nanny screamed for help. The demolition crews are long gone now, and workers are busy laying the foundation for a 32-story glass tower known as Ariel West, companion to a similar but taller structure rising across Broadway. Both towers are the work of the Extell Development Company, and both have been targets of neighborhood opposition.

The buildings are allowed by right under the current zoning. Still, a group called West Siders for Responsible Development has been expressing its concern about the project, via a Web site, a petition with about 2,000 signatures and regular meetings at local apartments and in the Metro Diner on 100th Street around the corner. Last week the group's president, Miki Fiegel, and its treasurer, Toni Cindrich, stood on the sidewalk next to the hole and laid out their objections, their voices raised over the rumble of the trucks.

"It's really quiet right now," said Ms. Fiegel, a real estate agent who works from home less than a block down 99th Street. "Wait until the drilling starts."

Ms. Fiegel has discovered that nothing, including playing "Tosca" at high volume, drowns out the noise. "This is a neighborhood full of people in the arts, people who work late," she said. "And when they start at seven in the morning, you can hear it for blocks."

Kenny Ziomek, the barrel-chested Teamster foreman for the site, ambled over. "Oh, they love us here," he said with a sarcastic smile. As if on cue, a thunderous pounding started behind him.

Mr. Ziomek, a Long Islander who said he often chatted with passers-by, wondered aloud if the towers wouldn't improve the neighborhood by bringing a touch of luxury to a stretch of Broadway that is generally grungier than the areas to the immediate north and south.

But Ms. Fiegel says that what residents prize about the neighborhood are the buildings, including brownstones on some side streets and prewar apartment buildings, few of them taller than 15 stories, along the avenues. "You can see the sky," she said. "It gives the neighborhood a more human scale, and when you start putting these buildings up, you lose the scale of the neighborhood, you lose the character of the neighborhood."

One of the group's main goals, along with fighting the Extell project, is to prevent other tall buildings in the area. Residents fear such structures because the neighborhood contains so many low-rent buildings and single-room occupancy hotels that are tempting to developers.

At the Metro Diner, Ms. Cindrich brandished artists' renderings of the buildings that she had picked up at one of Extell's promotional champagne brunches, and recalled the community board meeting where residents first saw similar sketches. "People in the audience just gasped," she said.

Extell's senior vice president of development, Raizy Haas, said the group did not speak for the whole neighborhood. "You're always going to have people oppose development," she said, "but I think a lot of the people on the Upper West Side are pleased with what we're doing. Our buildings are definitely not going to be an eyesore; they're very beautiful glass towers."

Ms. Haas noted that Extell's president, Gary Barnett, was responsible for renovating the Belnord, the Renaissance Revival apartment building on 86th Street, after a long dispute between residents and the previous owner. "He's beloved by all the tenants in that building," she said. "He's sort of a hero to them."

And the noise from the drilling? It should be ending, she said, "pretty soon."

E-mail: [email protected]
Old February 17th, 2006, 08:21 PM   #20
krull
In Time

February 16, 2006:

Ariel East:

Ariel West:

Last edited by krull; February 17th, 2006 at 09:07 PM.