daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 27th, 2005, 11:38 PM   #21
System_Halted
Head Knockin' Forever

Likes (Received): 1983

It will ruin the skyline of Chicago.

Fordam spire alone looks much more beatiful, guys. And even today Chicago has one of the best skylines in the world. It is one of my favorites.

I didn't like it, sorry.

Architects have unique dreams. Fortunately, engineers have unique solutions...

System_Halted no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 27th, 2005, 11:39 PM   #22
London
New York

Likes (Received): 0

Those towers are very much alike.
I really like the Fordham Tower because it stands out - not only due to it's overall hight, but also its twisted figure, making it round/circle - very very different from its neighbouring tower's.

Tall tower reminds me abit of the one in shanghai...

.. but much more onnovative obviousley
London no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2005, 01:42 AM   #23
Effer
E Pluribus Unum

Likes (Received): 226

Quote:
Originally Posted by System_Halted
It will ruin the skyline of Chicago.

Fordam spire alone looks much more beatiful, guys. And even today Chicago has one of the best skylines in the world. It is one of my favorites.

I didn't like it, sorry.
How can you say that! Once it's built you'll regret your opinion!
Effer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2005, 02:05 AM   #24
Talbot
3rd Coast

Likes (Received): 14

I am sorry , but it looks retarded. Is Chicago going backwards?

Seriously, why the hell would you want this in your city center? Wow, I am shocked that Chicagoans are okay with this.
Talbot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2005, 02:09 AM   #25
STR
What'u smokin' Willis?

Likes (Received): 104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talbot
I am sorry , but it looks retarded. Is Chicago going backwards?

Seriously, why the hell would you want this in your city center? Wow, I am shocked that Chicagoans are okay with this.
Most of us Chicagoans are not okay with this. It is quite ugly and looks like a bad rip-off of the Lord of the Ring towers.
Old October 28th, 2005, 02:20 AM   #26
UrbanSophist

Likes (Received): 44

I agree. I really don't want this tower in the downtown Chicago skyline...
UrbanSophist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2005, 03:02 AM   #27
DiggerD21
spaghetti polonaise

Likes (Received): 1355

Quote:
Originally Posted by STR
a bad rip-off of the Lord of the Ring towers.
Now I know why the tower looks so familiar to me. I don't like it and I doubt that there is any sense for a TV-Tower in the birthplace of the skyscraper. Put all the HDTV stuff into the fordham spire instead. That makes more sense financially.
BTW: I doubt that there will be so many new HDTV-Towers in the world. The already existing TV-Towers will just be upgraded.
DiggerD21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2005, 03:06 AM   #28
beyond 1000
BANNED

Likes (Received): 74

The skyline of Chicago, being great as it is, can't just have the Sears Tower as the tallest forever. The person in the previous page who stated that CN ruined Toronto is probably alone in his opinion. CN is the showpiece of that city, not the many boxes that are in the downtown core. They are nice but Torontonians love the CN. It is a huge presence in the skyline.

I prefer this tower over the Fordham since I feel the nature of Fordham with its relatively small square footage for 115 floors is pie in the sky. The newly proposed tower in Chicago will give people a new and higher vantage point of Chicago. The view would be better than Sears for sure since it is by the water as JHC is and as CN in Toronto is. I have been up both on Sears and JHC and I must say that the view on Big John is nicer. This tower will give nicer viewing platforms than the other two since Sears and JHC are standard buildings and have limited ameneties for viewing.

This is an observation/telecommunications tower and as such will end up being more popular to view off than Sears. If built, they may perhaps close down the Skydeck.

Of the two proposals, Fordham seems the odd one out. Not needed at all.

The best of the best would have been 7SD but that one was for not. Too bad.
beyond 1000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2005, 03:09 AM   #29
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

^Two problems with that:

1)From what we've seen so far, the spire of Fordham Spire is going to be rather twisty, and I'm no expert but to add an antenna it would have to be somewhat straight. If this changes the spire quite a bit I don't think Calatrava would be too happy and may even say no to doing the building.

2)There has always been a need for higher transmission in Chicago (even talk of extending Sears taller). And signals will switch to HDTV in 2009 I believe.
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2005, 03:48 AM   #30
Travis007

Likes (Received): 63

A giant TV Tower along with Fordham Spire would make an amazing gateway for Chicago's skyline but the design is just ridiculous. I'm impressed with the height but it looks like a giant pair of tweezers, yes it actually does look like a pair of tweezers. Definitely one of Pelli's worst designs....time for a re-design because this would be an embarassment on Chicago's skyline.
Old October 28th, 2005, 06:51 AM   #31
Harkeb
BANNED

Likes (Received): 22

Wow, with those two towers, Chicago will city take away New York's claim as the mother city of skyscrapers.
Harkeb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2005, 07:42 AM   #32
bs_lover_boy
POUND THE ALARM!!!

Likes (Received): 12

The towers are too close to each other, if it was farther apart, I think it will look better than how its is grouped together around 2 blocks away.
LULU – Locally Unwanted Land Use.
NOPE – Not On Planet Earth
BANANA – Build Absolutely Nothing Anywhere Near Anything

Anymore????
bs_lover_boy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2005, 08:37 AM   #33
SJM

Likes (Received): 119

Wow this tower along with Fordham would dramatically change Chicago's skyline.
SJM no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2005, 09:41 AM   #34
STR
What'u smokin' Willis?

Likes (Received): 104

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy999
^Two problems with that:

1)From what we've seen so far, the spire of Fordham Spire is going to be rather twisty, and I'm no expert but to add an antenna it would have to be somewhat straight. If this changes the spire quite a bit I don't think Calatrava would be too happy and may even say no to doing the building.
The standard procedure is to tack on the antenna AFTER the building is done. I could be bolted to the outside of the building's spire. An arrangment similar to the Freedom Tower could also be worked out.

As for Calatrava, F### him, he isn't that great anyhow.
Old October 28th, 2005, 09:44 AM   #35
ryanr
Registered non-User

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jai
Looks great, but I wish it was placed better. Putting it right smack next to fordham spire detracts from the beauty and relative height of both, and skews the symmetry of the skyline
I totally agree.. Otherwise, this is pretty cool
ryanr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2005, 12:26 PM   #36
Azn_chi_boi
BANNED

Likes (Received): 12

If Torontoians could live with the CN Tower, Shanghainess could live with that pinkish ball building, so can Chicagoans with the Tall Tower(change the name quickly!).

Doesn't this Tower look like an evil twin brother of the Fordham, same height but one looks elegant(Fordham) one looks straight out evil (Tall).
Azn_chi_boi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2005, 01:07 PM   #37
source26
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

The design looks old.
source26 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2005, 01:20 PM   #38
Urban Dave
In Urbanity I Trust

Likes (Received): 1546

Too masive and not very tall. CN tower looks great because it's very tall compared with its neigbours. This tower will be as high as the Spire proposed by Santiago Calatrava.
Maybe it should be placed somewhere were there are not so tall buildings.

In other hand, it reminds me to Isengard Tower (Lord of the Rings), but in white version
Urban Dave no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2005, 03:50 PM   #39
dave8721

Likes (Received): 6393

Am I the only one who thinks this is quite possibly the worst idea in history? The main thing that separates a great city like Chicago from an embarassment like Dubai is that it doesn't have silly "look at me" buildings like this one.
dave8721 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2005, 03:53 PM   #40
dave8721

Likes (Received): 6393

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyond 1000
The skyline of Chicago, being great as it is, can't just have the Sears Tower as the tallest forever. The person in the previous page who stated that CN ruined Toronto is probably alone in his opinion. CN is the showpiece of that city, not the many boxes that are in the downtown core. They are nice but Torontonians love the CN. It is a huge presence in the skyline.

I prefer this tower over the Fordham since I feel the nature of Fordham with its relatively small square footage for 115 floors is pie in the sky. The newly proposed tower in Chicago will give people a new and higher vantage point of Chicago. The view would be better than Sears for sure since it is by the water as JHC is and as CN in Toronto is. I have been up both on Sears and JHC and I must say that the view on Big John is nicer. This tower will give nicer viewing platforms than the other two since Sears and JHC are standard buildings and have limited ameneties for viewing.

This is an observation/telecommunications tower and as such will end up being more popular to view off than Sears. If built, they may perhaps close down the Skydeck.

Of the two proposals, Fordham seems the odd one out. Not needed at all.

The best of the best would have been 7SD but that one was for not. Too bad.
And yes the CN Tower does ruin the Toronto skyline. Its too tall for the rest of the skyline and makes the rest of the skyline look much shorter than it actualy is.
dave8721 no está en línea   Reply With Quote