daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 28th, 2005, 06:19 PM   #41
The Mad Hatter!!
P.E.C.K CREW

Likes (Received): 631

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis007
Definitely one of Pelli's worst designs....time for a re-design because this would be an embarassment on Chicago's skyline.
trust me there have been many disgusting copy and pasted crap by pelli,but i think this may top all the other bad quality designs he has ever done.
"Architects are pretty much high-class whores. We can turn down projects the way they can turn down some clients, but we've both got to say yes to someone if we want to stay in business"Philip Johnson

Boycott the La forum-Worse forum in SSC
The Mad Hatter!! no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 28th, 2005, 06:58 PM   #42
Accura4Matalan

Likes (Received): 1546

It looks horrible. Maybe its just poor renders, but at the moment, I'm not liking what I'm seeing
Accura4Matalan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2005, 08:08 PM   #43
Phobos

I like most of Pelli's projects,but this one looks crappy.He could design a beter structure.
Old October 28th, 2005, 08:43 PM   #44
Talbot
3rd Coast

Likes (Received): 14

I think that something like this should go out into the low density areas like most other television and radio towers.

It just looks backwards to have a T.V. tower like that in a great city like Chicago, who invented the skyscraper, not the television tower.
Talbot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2005, 11:28 PM   #45
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

Quote:
Originally Posted by STR
The standard procedure is to tack on the antenna AFTER the building is done. I could be bolted to the outside of the building's spire. An arrangment similar to the Freedom Tower could also be worked out.

As for Calatrava, F### him, he isn't that great anyhow.
Carley spent years courting Calatrava, so I don't think he's stupid enough to displease him and not have the tower built at all.
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2005, 06:51 AM   #46
ReddAlert
BANNED

Likes (Received): 8

ehhh...whats the point of this? Why not build it outside of the downtown?

I think it will destory Chicagos perfect skyline.
ReddAlert no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2005, 08:18 AM   #47
spyguy
Expert

Because Homer Glen has no need for an observation tower/parking
Old October 29th, 2005, 09:51 AM   #48
shivtim

Likes (Received): 64

Despite its height, it looks stumpy... those concrete columns are way too bulky. I'd say with a re-design and a location change, it might be more feasible; although I'll still contend that an observation tower is just not needed in Chicago (with Sears and Big John already filling that role).
And what was Pelli thinking? I usually really enjoy his designs, but this is just completely odd. Like what people in 1960 might think was futurisitic.
shivtim no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2005, 10:15 AM   #49
۩SkyScraper۩
ж

Likes (Received): 1

its going to screw up the skyline
۩SkyScraper۩ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2005, 02:49 AM   #50
ChicagoSkyline
BANNED

Location: Chicago[Naperville-SW Suburb] + Miami[Miami Beach & South Beach]
Likes (Received): 29

Lots of you outsiders say that it will ruin the Chicago skyline! Screw you!
I said that Chicago skyline definitely needs another unique towers like a TV tower that will stand more than 2000ft and away from its skyline!
I said that it needs to be higher and be place in more noticeable/remote location! Somewhere like Navy Pier or Meigis Field! It will most likely to boost Chicago skyline, economy, HDTV, and attraction with a bit more tweaks on its design, most of you will understand when it get built, and I will also enjoy from better digital signal that it delievers to my suburban home,lol!
ChicagoSkyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2005, 03:23 AM   #51
STR
What'u smokin' Willis?

Likes (Received): 104

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoSkyline
Lots of you outsiders say that it will ruin the Chicago skyline! Screw you!
I said that Chicago skyline definitely needs another unique towers like a TV tower that will stand more than 2000ft and away from its skyline!
I said that it needs to be higher and be place in more noticeable/remote location! Somewhere like Navy Pier or Meigis Field! It will most likely to boost Chicago skyline, economy, HDTV, and attraction with a bit more tweaks on its design, most of you will understand when it get built, and I will also enjoy from better digital signal that it delievers to my suburban home,lol!
First (and least relevent) This is Chicago, not Toronto. We build buildings, not TV masts, particularly monsterously ugly ones. Second (and most relevent) 90% of people don't use broadcast TV. They have cable and satellite. This means it is impractical for broadcasters to pay for a $300 million tower to fullfill a shrinking market. In addition, in order to move to this thing, they'd have to abandon the millions of dollars invested in the broadcast facilities in Sears and Hancock. CBRE (owner of Sears) didn't pay for those antennas, the broadcasters did.

To most professionals that have studied this, the general conclusion is that it is a ploy to negotiate better lease terms from CBRE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy999
Carley spent years courting Calatrava, so I don't think he's stupid enough to displease him and not have the tower built at all.
When Carley is done exploting Calatrava to boost sales, he'll do whatever he wants to the tower. Afterall, Carley paid for it and owns it, Calatrava has no say what haappens after construction and even if he did there is no (zero, zip, nada) evidence that he would object to an antenna.
Old October 30th, 2005, 03:32 AM   #52
crazyevildude

Likes (Received): 158

^ I think it's a ploy by Carley to make Chicago realise that they could do ALOT worse than Fordharm spire and therefore make approval more likly .
crazyevildude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2005, 03:48 AM   #53
Scruffy88
Action

Likes (Received): 4

I'm a NYer but I am also a huge fan of the Chicago skyline. And im afraid both of these towers are gonna mess up the perfect symetry that you have going. Trump works great. These do not. If anything I would go with this new broadcast tower over the FS. As long as it was redesigned and didn't look like it came out of the 60s. Just an opinion
Scruffy88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2005, 03:51 AM   #54
Ed007Toronto

Likes (Received): 71

Ugly! Is it 1970 again?

This would be a disaster for downtown Chicago.

Just put the broadcast equipment on top of Fordham.
Ed007Toronto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2005, 04:21 AM   #55
spyguy
Expert

Trump will also destroy the symmetry you speak of, and so will Waterview and so will Mandarin and so will Lakeshore East and One Museum Park. So that's a pretty lame excuse.

And yes, Carley could do anything he wants with the tower after it's done, but if he tampers with it so much he will drive away his own tenants who were drawn to this project from around the world because of Calatrava's persuasion, not Carley.
Old October 30th, 2005, 04:43 AM   #56
ChicagoSkyline
BANNED

Location: Chicago[Naperville-SW Suburb] + Miami[Miami Beach & South Beach]
Likes (Received): 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by STR
First (and least relevent) This is Chicago, not Toronto. We build buildings, not TV masts, particularly monsterously ugly ones. Second (and most relevent) 90% of people don't use broadcast TV. They have cable and satellite. This means it is impractical for broadcasters to pay for a $300 million tower to fullfill a shrinking market. In addition, in order to move to this thing, they'd have to abandon the millions of dollars invested in the broadcast facilities in Sears and Hancock. CBRE (owner of Sears) didn't pay for those antennas, the broadcasters did.

To most professionals that have studied this, the general conclusion is that it is a ploy to negotiate better lease terms from CBRE.

When Carley is done exploting Calatrava to boost sales, he'll do whatever he wants to the tower. Afterall, Carley paid for it and owns it, Calatrava has no say what haappens after construction and even if he did there is no (zero, zip, nada) evidence that he would object to an antenna.
First of, who said that we are talking about other cities then chicago all alone?
Well, does chicago only build buildings? how about some dramatic architecture feast that it has been dominated for centuries? Who say chicago only can be in the building form? You sounded pretty stereo typical that is why you started a thread on why are you in Chicago even with the cold and crap, if you don't like chicago, move out! There is obviously many needs to replace our old broadcasting technology and this new proposed TV tower is a step ahead to solve with some architecture thought to it! Please don't use other cities like the great CN tower of Toronot to pitty our proposal, cause they are two completely different architecture! BTW, they only need less then $10 million to start up this project, so I am not sure about that whopping $300mil numbers is from, don't forget, this isn't a building, it is a tower, that number for a tower is shocking and you know it!,lol! I still gotta say screw you, if you don't feel like chicago is fit for you cause it is changing for better, move...
ChicagoSkyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2005, 05:52 AM   #57
Ed007Toronto

Likes (Received): 71

Quote:
they only need less then $10 million to start up this project
10 million gets them what? The land? It is certainly going to cost a lot more than 10 million to do anything.
Ed007Toronto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2005, 05:20 PM   #58
phillyskyline

Likes (Received): 0

Is there any doubt that these 2 buildings need to get built?
Old October 30th, 2005, 05:44 PM   #59
Taller, Better
Administrator

Likes (Received): 12201

Congrats!! Chicago is "on fire"!!!!
Old October 30th, 2005, 05:59 PM   #60
Genç
re re re ra ra ra

Likes (Received): 34

I like it!