daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 11th, 2008, 07:29 AM   #301
smurf
Smurfy Smurf

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaperducer View Post
I was there yesterday and it's still pretty much a hole, though there are some vertical steel elements starting to show up. I suspect it's a difficult site to work on -- bounded on three sides by active streets and on the fourth by an open business. I don't know where they store stuff.
Here is a shot from last weekend. It is the hole in the right hand center of the picture.

image hosted on flickr
smurf no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 11th, 2008, 11:54 PM   #302
Chi town fan

Likes (Received): 1

It looks to me like the western portion of this site on the SE corner of State and Oak is not part of the Barney's build but has been cleared. Anybody have any information on what's planned? Is it part of the same store? Still a very desireable plot of land.
Chi town fan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2008, 07:02 AM   #303
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

Where do you see this?
Old February 14th, 2008, 08:31 PM   #304
cbotnyse
Chicago Enthusiast

Likes (Received): 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi town fan View Post
It looks to me like the western portion of this site on the SE corner of State and Oak is not part of the Barney's build but has been cleared. Anybody have any information on what's planned? Is it part of the same store? Still a very desireable plot of land.
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff_diamond View Post
Where do you see this?
I think he is talking about the exact spot where Papa Milanos stood. I live a half a mile from there and didnt even know they demo-ed the entire block! I wonder what will go there too, its gotta be something.

thanks for the pic!
cbotnyse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2008, 09:08 PM   #305
Second City
Loyola University

Likes (Received): 3

Wait no one knows what that hole is going to turn into? Weird...
Old February 15th, 2008, 01:24 AM   #306
Chi town fan

I
Quote:
think he is talking about the exact spot where Papa Milanos stood. I live a half a mile from there and didnt even know they demo-ed the entire block! I wonder what will go there too, its gotta be something.
Yes. The entire block bounded by Rush, Oak, State, and Walton will soon be new it looks like to me (are the dirty bookstore and the Underground WonderBar gone that were just east of the new walgreens?) once the Gino's bldg is renovated. I think the Starbucks was a new build when it opened (8-10 yrs ago?) but back then I wasn't paying too much attention to the block so it may have been a re-do along with the space to the south that was a Hear Music for a while.
Chi town fan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2008, 02:42 AM   #307
smurf
Smurfy Smurf

Since there has been some confusion and discussion about what is exactly going on, here is a higher resolution picture of the site. I don't know why flickr isn't allowing me to post the full 8MP picture.

image hosted on flickr
smurf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2008, 02:02 AM   #308
Reaperducer

Likes (Received): 7

That part you're talking about at the corner of Rush and State (where Papa Milano's was) is going to be part of the new building. It's going to be where Citibank lands.

On a completely different topic....

We've heard for a couple of years now that Best Buy wants to move in to a location on Michigan Avenue or nearby. Originally it was going to be the vacated CompUSA/American Girl space. But for some reason that fell apart. I guess because of the high rent in that building (it's the highest retail rent in the Midwest according to Crain's).

Well, now it looks like Best Buy wants to move into the John Hancock center. It's looking at setting up shop where the Paul Stuart store is now on the ground floor.

There's a meeting to discuss it on Monday night. It's not open to the public, but I'll try to be there and let you know what happens.
Reaperducer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2008, 07:50 AM   #309
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

Sorry, I didn't realize which part of the block you were referring to because it's all part of the Barney's project (like Reaper said). If you look at the rendering I posted a while back, you can just make out the western portion of the building on the right side of the image.

Also, I have a friend who works at the firm that did Best Buy's first urban prototype in Manhattan. They are also involved in the John Hancock project (although, I've been told that BB is not interested in repeating the urban prototype that has proved so successful in NY - neither my contact nor I are entirely sure why). You can expect the store to be of the typical suburban variety, just shoehorned into a much smaller space (perhaps something much like their store on Clark in Lincoln Park.
Old February 18th, 2008, 08:17 AM   #310
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff_diamond View Post
Also, I have a friend who works at the firm that did Best Buy's first urban prototype in Manhattan. They are also involved in the John Hancock project (although, I've been told that BB is not interested in repeating the urban prototype that has proved so successful in NY - neither my contact nor I are entirely sure why). You can expect the store to be of the typical suburban variety, just shoehorned into a much smaller space (perhaps something much like their store on Clark in Lincoln Park.
Am I allowed to express my utter disappointment that a big-box store is about to land in what is perhaps Chicago's most refined and classy streetscape?

All I can say is, their signage better have IMPECCABLE design and placement.

Last edited by ardecila; February 18th, 2008 at 08:07 PM.
ardecila no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2008, 06:19 PM   #311
Chiman

The Best Buy on Clark in Lincoln Park is hardly noticable -- hopefully they won't do anything tacky on the Mag Mile!
Chiman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2008, 07:13 PM   #312
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

Well, I would like to think that the powers that be on Michigan Avenue would never let that happen. There's pretty strict design guidelines when it comes to the Mile, and I doubt they'd let the likes of Best Buy do too much to damage the image.
Old February 18th, 2008, 09:05 PM   #313
urban_addict
Craving density 24/7

Likes (Received): 0

Can anyone tell me exactly what sets the "urban prototype" apart from the "suburban big-box" version? I'm assuming the "urban" design has no parking lot and is considerably smaller. The Best Buy I've seen in Manhattan looks just like any other BB I've been to except maybe it has lower ceilings... reminded me A LOT of the Lincoln Park BB!
urban_addict no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2008, 02:34 AM   #314
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

Honestly, I'm not familiar with exactly what my buddy's firm did to differentiate the BB that they're referring to from any other BB (except, of course, for a lack of parking). I'll ask him about it next time I see him and see if we can't figure out whether they're abandoning something that's legitimately useful.
Old February 19th, 2008, 04:39 AM   #315
Reaperducer

The meeting with Reilly just wrapped up. It was a little disappointing, but there was some good information.

image hosted on flickr

He was absolutely clueless about the Best Buy thing. He didn't even realize it was on the agenda. Not helpful. Naturally the Streeterville NIMBYs are against it. But they do have a good point this time -- it will be directly across the street from the new American Girl Place, so with tourists and people picking up and dropping off it will be mayhem on that corner. This is a place where people regularly get hit and one of the Hancock residential board members said there have been people killed by cars in the past. Reilly said there's little he can do to influence the decision about Best Buy, it's really up to the commercial Hancock leasing people.

There were a couple of other things he noted:
  • 850 North Lake Shore Drive will become senior citizen housing.
  • As part of the Childrens' Hospital deal, the hospital will pay for 12 traffic aids to write tickets in Streeterville. Some will be posted at problem intersections, others will roam. The hospital will also pay for 44 countdown signals and an 800-car garage that must be completed before it can get an occupancy permit. The hospital will also have to pay for 300 assigned parking spaces at Millennium park that hospital staffers will be required to use and then take a shuttle to the hospital.
  • The city has approved the helipad at the hospital. It's now in the hands of IDOT which will decide if it's safe.
  • Alderman Reilly gave a list of 30 alternate locations for the Children's Museum to move to besides Grant Park. He expect the museum to turn him down on each one.
  • One possible design being explored for the new Ogden School is to use the entire block for the school and then put the playground and athletic facilities on the roof.
  • The Lake Shore East school that was supposed to be completed two years ago won't open for at least another three years from now.
  • The Fourth Presbyterian Tower project is getting some rumbling again. He's against it, and has proposed that the church put luxury townhomes there instead of a skyscraper.
  • CDOT is looking at re-engineering Chicago Avenue to improve traffic flow and ease gridlock at intersections.
That's pretty much it. I'm disappointed he didn't know anything about the Best Buy plan. That's the main reason I went.
Old February 19th, 2008, 04:55 AM   #316
Urbanight

^ Any word on what is happening to Paul Staurt? Are they moving or just shutting down?
Urbanight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2008, 09:05 AM   #317
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Interesting about the Ogden School. That place reminds me of the cartoon "Hey Arnold" I used to watch when I was a kid.

Are there any interesting sites on Alderman Reilly's list of 30 spots for the Childrens' Museum? See how many you can remember.
ardecila no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2008, 03:48 PM   #318
Reaperducer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanight View Post
^ Any word on what is happening to Paul Staurt? Are they moving or just shutting down?
Nothing was said about why it's leaving. I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't doing well financially. I've walked by it a hundred times in the last year and never once seen anyone go in or out.

It's kind of a shame, though, since Hanig's Shoes is just about ready to open. They put up the exterior signs last week. It would be a good compliment for Paul Stuart. But with the arrival of the Juicy Coture store, Zara, Burton, and many similar brands I think Michigan Avenue/Oak Street isn't right for stuffy Paul Stuart anymore. I wonder where the fashionable elderly will go to get their clothes now.
Old February 19th, 2008, 03:49 PM   #319
Reaperducer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Interesting about the Ogden School. That place reminds me of the cartoon "Hey Arnold" I used to watch when I was a kid.

Are there any interesting sites on Alderman Reilly's list of 30 spots for the Childrens' Museum? See how many you can remember.
Unfortunately, he didn't share the list with the group. I'm not necessarily opposed to putting it at Daley Bicentennial Plaza, but I've never understood why it's not put with all the other museums down at the Museum Campus.

The Ogden School is going to be a special design. The size and shape of the land doesn't permit CPS to use it standard school template. Reilly noted that schools in New York have put the playgrounds on their roofs for years, and it also has the affect of doubling the available recreational space.
Old February 19th, 2008, 05:24 PM   #320
Chitowner245

^ Yeah, I don't see why they can't put it over by northerly island or something where all the other museums are. There's space and parking there. Everytime I walk over to NI, there are virtually no people there. Does the city have other plans for the lifeless island that only sees activity in the summer when charter one pavilion is hosting concerts? Or even could they put in in the McCormick East building?

Last edited by Chitowner245; February 19th, 2008 at 05:25 PM. Reason: forgot something
Chitowner245 no está en línea   Reply With Quote