daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 28th, 2009, 03:02 AM   #401
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

^ Not ideal, but looks better than the horrid original design.

I'm willing to see the historic building replaced with this.

Nice find yet again, Spyguy. Damn, you sure live up to your screen name.
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 10th, 2010, 05:41 PM   #402
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

http://www.chicagorealestatedaily.co...ws.pl?id=37057

Default alleged on River North site
By Eddie Baeb, Feb. 10, 2010

A group led by longtime Chicago developer Joseph Beale faces a $7-million foreclosure lawsuit on a prime River North site after two development proposals there failed to materialize.

...Ms. Rodak says that after losing out on a boutique hotel and a John Barleycorn pub, Hawthorn now has a lease in place with upscale Mexican restaurant chain Cantina Laredo.
---

Hopefully this latest proposal fails like the rest. I'd rather wait for a proper development to take advantage of this prime site than see a two story chain restaurant.
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2010, 06:50 PM   #403
Flubnut
4th Level of Hades

Likes (Received): 5

One article, 2 good updates: a 49-story tower (which was apparently approved in April, but no one seemed to notice):

Quote:
AMLI Residential Partners LLC plans to build a 49-story apartment tower in River North after striking a deal with developer Albert Friedman.

Chicago-based AMLI signed a 100-year lease on a 12,617-square foot site on the southeast corner of Clark and Hubbard streets, property records show. The 427-unit building would be just north of the 11-story Greenway Self Park garage, which Mr. Friedman completed last year.

The apartment tower residents would have access to a landscaped deck on the top of the garage that is to include a pool, jogging path and dog runs, according to zoning and property documents.

AMLI expects to start construction next year at the earliest, which would enable the project to be completed by 2013, but the timeline is subject to market conditions, says Stephen C. Ross, AMLI’s executive vice-president of development.
And a grocery store...

Quote:
Meanwhile, gourmet grocer Fox & Obel plans to park its second location in the Greenway garage, 60 W. Kinzie St., where the company has signed a long-term lease for 16,000 square feet.

The new store will most likely open during the first quarter of 2011, according to Bill Bolton, who leads the investment group that bought Fox & Obel in 2008. Mr. Bolton is a former CEO of Supervalu Inc., which owns Jewel-Osco.

The new location, which would have close to 300-feet of frontage along Kinzie and Clark streets, is to include a market, café and bistro seating area with a wine bar, much like the flagship store in Streeterville, which opened in 2001 at 401 E. Illinois St. One of the unique features is an outdoor dining area that’s to be open during the warmer months.
Full article: http://www.chicagorealestatedaily.co...ws.pl?id=39010
Flubnut no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2010, 05:12 AM   #404
ChitownCity

Likes (Received): 125

Yes!!! can't wait to see that go up. Are there any renderings of it yet??
ChitownCity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2010, 08:53 PM   #405
mohammed wong

Likes (Received): 10

100 year lease, interesting.

Corporations/Family trusts
or there really are vampires or some immortals among us.
mohammed wong no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2010, 06:32 PM   #406
spyguy
Expert

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/artic...in-river-north

Sears to open first Craftsman tool store in Chicago's River North gallery district
By: Thomas A. Corfman August 09, 2010

Sears Holdings Corp. is opening its first Craftsman store in River North, a neighborhood better known for fancy restaurants and art galleries than power saws and monkey wrenches.

In a bid to buff up its well-known line of tools, the retail giant plans to open an “experience” store within 30 days at Huron and Franklin streets, in a six-story loft building that also houses the restaurant owned by celebrated chef Graham Elliot.
Old August 9th, 2010, 07:00 PM   #407
The Urban Politician
The City

^ Zzzz...
Old August 9th, 2010, 10:23 PM   #408
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 203

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChitownCity View Post
Yes!!! can't wait to see that go up. Are there any renderings of it yet??
Originally posted by spyguy:
Old September 15th, 2010, 08:52 PM   #409
Flubnut
4th Level of Hades

(double-post...the site is uber slow this week...)
Old September 15th, 2010, 08:53 PM   #410
Flubnut
4th Level of Hades

By no means is this a major development, but these days, anything is better than nothing. This is the top of the Reid-Murdoch building (or Brittanica if you prefer). After what seems like an eternity, it is almost finished. Apparently, to my extreme disappointment, it is neither an all-womans workout center (darn) OR a new hip lounge (darn again). It's Whirlpool Corporations training and education center. By the floor count on the liquor license, there is now access into the various floors of the clock tower, which might be kinda neat inside. I'm not digging the red paint job though.

Old September 16th, 2010, 12:25 AM   #411
The Urban Politician
The City

^ Well, if a Whirlpool training center isn't exciting to you I can understand, but if it creates jobs it's probably worth it.

Before restaurants, lounges, workout centers, fancy condos, and neat plazas, a city first and foremost needs jobs to power the whole system.
Old September 16th, 2010, 03:24 AM   #412
spyguy
Expert

Yeah, it's not the most exciting thing architecturally, but from a quick search online it looks like it will support ~30 jobs. And there are tons of bars and restaurants opening in River North every month anyway (check out the retail/restaurant thread).
Old September 16th, 2010, 08:45 PM   #413
Flubnut
4th Level of Hades

Normally I wouldn't care much about something like this, but since it's what I look at when I turn my chair around at work, I've spent way too much time watching it develop. Hence, my disappointment that it wasn't going to contain dozens of ladies sweatin' to the oldies during my lunch hour. Pity.
Old September 29th, 2010, 12:24 AM   #414
The Urban Politician
The City

Despite the economy, mansion building continues in the area that I guess is referred to 'River West' (where Erie on the Park is located, in that area around Kingsbury St). We've got a mini-Gold Coast arising over there, it seems...
Old September 30th, 2010, 07:23 AM   #415
untitledreality

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Urban Politician View Post
Despite the economy, mansion building continues in the area that I guess is referred to 'River West' (where Erie on the Park is located, in that area around Kingsbury St). We've got a mini-Gold Coast arising over there, it seems...
All pomp no taste nonetheless... is that all one builder? Seems too strange that those two blocks would just happen to form that way by themselves.
untitledreality no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2010, 07:56 AM   #416
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 203

image hosted on flickr

Last edited by i_am_hydrogen; October 1st, 2010 at 06:47 PM.
i_am_hydrogen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2011, 11:53 PM   #417
jimbojoe45

State & Illinois

I was walking home yesterday and noticed new construction at the NW corner of State & Illinois. Signs looked like a car dealership was being built but the lot seem far too small. Anybody know whats in the works for this site?
jimbojoe45 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2011, 02:23 AM   #418
The Urban Politician
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbojoe45 View Post
I was walking home yesterday and noticed new construction at the NW corner of State & Illinois. Signs looked like a car dealership was being built but the lot seem far too small. Anybody know whats in the works for this site?
Must be that one or two story retail development.

Does anybody know who the tenants will be? Last I heard (on this forum), John Barleycorn is no longer on the list
Old March 8th, 2011, 06:55 AM   #419
spyguy
Expert

^Cantina Laredo.
Old March 19th, 2011, 11:45 PM   #420
paytonc
Pragmatist

Likes (Received): 0

Those blocks were entitled and subdivided by the developer of "Kingsbury Park," the overall Ward's redevelopment scheme. I believe they were then sold individually -- certainly seen a few different realty signs up -- but a few builders snagged multiple lots.