daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 13th, 2006, 06:09 AM   #81
danthediscoman

Likes (Received): 1

^Yeah I know they posted a seperate thread earlier... someone should delete it, blatant attempt at advertising
danthediscoman no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 13th, 2006, 07:29 PM   #82
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
^I noticed that, but to add to the oddness that means the rendering is in reverse then...because to get that view it means that the entrance to aloft would be where Rock Bottom is, on Grand.
Hrmm... not sure where you're seeing that. From both renderings, I see that the new tower sits on the southern half of the same block as AMA.
Old December 14th, 2006, 04:47 AM   #83
danthediscoman

Its not going in the same block as AMA, its going at the surface lot on the northwest corner of State/Illinois or at least I assumed since that was where the drilling rig was the other day.
Old December 14th, 2006, 05:53 AM   #84
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

Oh. Well, that's not what the renderings show at all. And I assumed it was going right next to AMA since there have been talks about developing that piece of the site ever since plans for AMA's twin fell through.
Old December 14th, 2006, 06:39 AM   #85
danthediscoman

^I hope not, I like that little park area, its great for eatin' lunches in the summer.
Old December 14th, 2006, 07:46 AM   #86
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

I agree. That's one of the few bits of open space that doesn't bother me. And why in the World would you develop it when there's a nasty surface-lot right across the street that's just begging for some attention?
Old December 16th, 2006, 09:27 PM   #87
danthediscoman

Well, Silver Tower has been postponed until Spring Man, that is dissapointing, they say it still "100%" on the table. As far as the reasoning to the delay I asked if it was zoning/permit situation and he said "sort of, we are adding more floors" so not sure what the future holds but its very suspcious and quite disappointing in the present.
Old December 17th, 2006, 03:41 AM   #88
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by danthediscoman View Post
Well, Silver Tower has been postponed until Spring Man, that is dissapointing, they say it still "100%" on the table. As far as the reasoning to the delay I asked if it was zoning/permit situation and he said "sort of, we are adding more floors" so not sure what the future holds but its very suspcious and quite disappointing in the present.
^ Adding more floors? I'm sure if they weren't confident about this project the last thing they would be doing is expanding it. I see this as good news.
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2006, 04:04 AM   #89
danthediscoman

^Well I hardly doubt that adding some floors on would delay construction by 6 months, right? Also the way he responded he just didn't seem that confident it kinda went like this ME: what is the reason for the delay on groundbreaking, is it permit/zoning issue Him: "uhh, well, uhh, yeah, well, we are uh, uh, we are adding a few more additional floors. ME: So that's the reason its being delayed? Him: "well, uhh, yeah." Anyways you get the drift it just wasn't a response that would inspire a lot of confidence...Whats odd is on there website in November they had a huge banner declaring that construction would start in November and the last I checked they were only around 60% sold so just doesn't all add up as to why the additional floors now and such a long delay, cripe spring could mean August by devolopers standards.

Has anyone on this forum bought a place at Silver Tower Im curious to see what they are telling insiders about it.

Last edited by danthediscoman; December 17th, 2006 at 04:09 AM.
Old December 17th, 2006, 05:47 AM   #90
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

^ 60% sold? Man, what the hell are you worried about? Please..

BTW, the 'quote' button isn't working. I just clicked 'quote' but danthediscoman's post didn't show up here
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2006, 07:41 AM   #91
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

It was something like 75% sold quite a while ago, so I don't have many worries that this won't happen.
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2006, 04:27 PM   #92
chicago23

Likes (Received): 0

Yea..im not worried...Plus this news of it breaking ground in spring was discovered awhile back from another forumer...its not a sudden change just maybe not everyone heard it.
chicago23 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2006, 09:19 PM   #93
danthediscoman

SILVER TOWER CLARIFICATION: Just got an email, its not "floors" plural just "floor" because they needed more parking: Response:

Hi Dan,

I received your message regarding the groundbreaking for Silver Tower. We had to push the groundbreaking back a few months due to the fact that we added an additional floor of parking to accommodate the new Lofts at Silver Tower which will be built in the existing building at the corner of Ohio and Orleans.

We needed to get additional permits and approval for these additions which delayed our original start date for construction. We will now be breaking ground in early Spring of 2007 with delivery set to begin in Summer of 2008.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Well, I feel better!

Last edited by danthediscoman; December 17th, 2006 at 10:03 PM.
Old December 19th, 2006, 01:38 AM   #94
Calvin W
Canadian eh!

Likes (Received): 359

I'm jealous of Chicago! There is more happening in this little section of Chicago than in my entire Province. I'm quite impressed with what is being built.
Calvin W no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2006, 11:01 PM   #95
NittanyBLUE2002
JoePa4Eva

Likes (Received): 4

I could be off base here (let me know if I am), but it seems like this building is getting virtually no attention over here:

By the way, why do the artists always extend beams of light through the roofs of these buildings. Is that done to create the perception of greater height?
NittanyBLUE2002 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2006, 12:01 AM   #96
danthediscoman

^Well it has its own thread.
Old December 20th, 2006, 12:56 AM   #97
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 203

Quote:
Originally Posted by NittanyBLUE2002 View Post
By the way, why do the artists always extend beams of light through the roofs of these buildings. Is that done to create the perception of greater height?
...For the same reason they don't show many of the surrounding buildings. A rendering is a marketing tool, plain and simple, that is designed to help get the project approved and sell as many units as possible.
i_am_hydrogen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2006, 05:45 AM   #98
danthediscoman

Article in Sunday Trib about downtown office leasing and they have a different rendering and info on 111 W Illinois...they say it will start construction in 3 weeks...only 30 percent leased by Erikson Institute...if you build it they will come...hopefully. Its only something like 10 floors but its covering the whole northern area of a surface lot so ya gotta love that!
Old January 3rd, 2007, 07:44 PM   #99
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

Alter Group to develop River North building

Daniel Duggan

Tuesday January 02 2007

The Alter Group plans to move forward with a 10-story building at 111 West Illinois Avenue in Chicago.

The 227,604 square foot building will include office space and possibly a hotel and restaurant in the popular River North neighborhood.

Matt Ward, a senior vice president with the Alter Group says River North is a good location to mix the office and hotel uses.

“A large percentage of restaurants are in River North, as well as the better hotels, not to mention you’re blocks from Michigan Avenue,” he says. “Then you can also be close to the business district without the feeling of being in a cavernous area.”

The building will be anchored by the Erikson Institute, a graduate school dedicated to the education of child development professionals. The school will occupy approximately 75,000 square feet and will have a separate entrance.

U.S. Equities Realty represented Erikson Institute, which ended a 4-and-a-half-year search with the transaction.

Ward says it made sense for the Erikson Institute to buy its office space — making it an example of why the Alter Group chose to make the building vertically subdivided.

“There are myriad reasons why owning institutional quality real estate is a good choice for corporations,” he says. “Our hypothesis is that other businesses will share that same sentiment. We want to offer that flexibility.”

The building has a remaining 150,000 square feet which will likely be used for office space, first-floor retail and a hotel. The space can be leased or sold. Cushman & Wakefield is marketing the project.

Martin Wolf, a senior principal with Solomon Cordwell Buenz & Associates, designed the building. The building will include green building and sustainable design elements such as energy efficient glass and high-efficiency air-handling systems.

McHugh Construction Company is general contractor for the project, which is expected to be completed by the summer of 2008.

--------

From SCB
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2007, 08:46 PM   #100
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 203

^Nothing special, though I like the glassiness. Obviously, it would be ideal to have something taller, but ten stories can still have a solid impact on a streetwall.
i_am_hydrogen no está en línea   Reply With Quote