daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Old January 4th, 2007, 05:38 AM   #101
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 6

^ Well, it's certainly special even though it's not tall. I've been waiting to see more glassy modern structures in River North. This is a great step in that direction
It is humanly impossible to walk through Chicago's core and not consider it one of the world's great cities unless you are inwardly angry at the place for somehow threatening or robbing your hometown of its vitality or integrity.
The Urban Politician no está en línea  

Sponsored Links

Old January 4th, 2007, 05:16 PM   #102
danthediscoman

Likes (Received): 1

^RIGHT ON! Bring on the glass! ITS A LOT MORE SPECIAL THAN WHAT IS THERE NOW!
danthediscoman no está en línea  
Old January 4th, 2007, 07:52 PM   #103
urban_addict
Craving density 24/7

Likes (Received): 0

Isn't it a parking lot right now?
urban_addict no está en línea  
Old January 5th, 2007, 03:11 AM   #104
LA1

Its nice addition to River North, for sure. The possibility of a hotel is interesting. I love to see that area continue to become more mixed use-hotel, office, residential to go along with all the restaurants.
LA1 no está en línea  
Old January 7th, 2007, 07:29 PM   #105
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

Reminds me of the Shure Tech Center in Niles/Skokie/Wherever the hell that thing is.
Old January 12th, 2007, 03:48 PM   #106
danthediscoman

Not sure if this was posted yet...I didn't know about the hotel aspect actually being for sure before it was just mentioned as an option in Trib article.

http://www.globest.com/news/820_820/...1.html?type=pf

Erikson Buys Space in $70M New Office Tower

By Robert Carr

CHICAGO-The Alter Group will break ground Jan. 18 on a $70-million, mixed-use building in the River North neighborhood, at 111 West Illinois St. The anchor tenant will be the nonprofit Erikson Institute, a graduate school for child development professionals, which has agreed to buy three floors in the 10-story building, about 75,000 sf, as an office condominium.
Most of the rest of the building will be filled by a hotel, says Richard Gatto, executive vice president with Alter. “The hotel should take up to 125,000 sf,” Gatto tells GlobeSt.com. “The rest of the 227,000-sf building will be office space, for sale or lease, and some retail and/or a restaurant on the first floor.” He says there’s a number of potential hotel candidates interested in the building, but none close enough to name...
Old January 16th, 2007, 09:13 PM   #107
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 54

Well, it looks like Staybridge will start soon

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/st...4506582&EDATE=

Dellisart Chicago LLC Completes $42 Million Financing to Develop Staybridge Suites in Chicago, Illinois

First “Staggered Truss” Building Downtown to be Largest Staybridge Suites in System Officials of Dellisart Chicago LLC, a joint venture between Dellisart Lodging LLC, a hotel ownership, management, development and acquisition group, and Miglin Properties LLC, a Chicago-based real estate development and management company specializing in the development of commercial properties, today announced that the JV has secured $42 million in financing to develop a 206-suite Staybridge Suites in downtown Chicago, Ill., at the corner of LaSalle and West Huron. Financing was provided by CapitalSource, a specialized commercial finance company. The hotel will be managed by Dellisart Lodging LLC. Plans call for the hotel to break ground January 25, 2007.

“While we have numerous projects occurring internationally, we remain focused on expanding our U.S. portfolio, as well,” said Douglas E. Artusio, Dellisart founder, chairman and CEO. “We have exceptional development and management teams in place to accommodate our accelerating growth. The Staybridge Suites brand, part of the InterContinental Hotels Group family of brands, is a great product, well suited to the needs of extended-stay business and leisure travelers seeking relaxed accommodations with high-tech amenities in high traffic markets.”

When completed in the summer of 2008, it will be the largest hotel in the Staybridge portfolio. Staybridge Suites offer upscale, all-suite accommodations with fully equipped kitchens. Among the various hotel amenities are high-speed Internet access, 24-hour business centers, complimentary breakfast and evening reception, green space, fitness center and library with books, board games and television. Suites have separate living and work areas with two-line speaker telephones and personalized voice mail. A leased restaurant and parking facilities are planned for the ground floor.

The hotel will be constructed using the staggered truss structural system. The high rise building concept consists of a series of story-high trusses spanning the total width between two rows of exterior columns and arranged in a staggered pattern on adjacent column lines. The basic concept is that the total frame behaves as a cantilever beam when subjected to lateral loads. This process allows developers to build in all weather conditions and to lower costs based on shorter construction time and a faster completion date. Additionally, the finished product has more open space for increased flexibility of interior space.

“This marks our third Staybridge Suites in the greater Chicago metro area,” Artusio noted. “Our other two properties already rank among the highest rated in the system, and we fully expect this hotel to equal or exceed those excellent results.”

“The Staybridge Suites Chicago is among nearly 100 hotels in the brand’s robust Americas pipeline and will be an excellent addition to our upscale extended-stay portfolio,” said Robert Radomski, vice president, Brand Management, Staybridge Suites. “We are thrilled that

Dellisart Chicago LLC chose to build a Staybridge Suites for this ideal location in Chicago’s bustling downtown area, and we look forward to offering the Staybridge Suites experience to our guests seeking extended-stay accommodations in downtown Chicago.”

Amenity highlights planned for the new Staybridge Suites Chicago will include:
• Three well-designed spacious suite options—deluxe studio, one-bedroom and two-bedroom/two-bath with:

* 32” flat panel TV’s
* In-room DVD/CD players
* Functional, well-lit work stations with ergonomic seating
* Complimentary wireless and wired high-speed Internet access
* Complimentary local phone calls
* Two-line speaker phones with direct-dial number
* Fully equipped kitchens.
* Deluxe complimentary daily breakfast buffet
* Complimentary guest laundry
* Complimentary workout facilities
* 24-hour business services center
* Guest library with books and games
* BridgeMart, the hotel’s 24-hour convenience store stocked with snacks, sundries, beverages and easy-to-prepare meals
* Evening "Sundowner” receptions three days a week with complimentary refreshments and light appetizers
* A leased restaurant and covered parking facilities for the ground floor
spyguy no está en línea  
Old January 17th, 2007, 12:51 AM   #108
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Yay!
ardecila no está en línea  
Old January 17th, 2007, 12:55 AM   #109
danthediscoman

I thought she was dead, this is my one of my favorite devolopments in Chicago!...time for my bannana salute again!
Old January 17th, 2007, 07:04 AM   #110
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 977

yea, I love the Staybridge suites. In many ways I think it is the more intreasting of developments going up in the city. Unlike so many other buildings that will just kind blend in it will make people stop, look and really examine it even for the non-enthusisast I have a feeling.
nomarandlee no está en línea  
Old January 17th, 2007, 07:25 AM   #111
NearNorthGuy

Staybridge Suites and the Purolator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee View Post
yea, I love the Staybridge suites. In many ways I think it is the more intreasting of developments going up in the city. Unlike so many other buildings that will just kind blend in it will make people stop, look and really examine it even for the non-enthusisast I have a feeling.
This little tid-bit was mentioned earlier. The back part of building that had been on the Staybridge Suites site was the site of the loading dock and vaults for the Purolator armored car service.

That was on the south side of Huron east of LaSalle. I remember back in the 1970's when the Purolator heist at this site became the largest heist in US history. Eventually, bodies started turning up as some of the heisters were thought to have squealed...or at least were at risk of squealing. Those guys all wore those 70's clothes with long pointy-collared polyester shirts, leather blazers and tinted sunglasses.

The Purolator heist record didn't stand for long because the Lufthansa heist at JFK airport occurred within a couple years and it was bigger. And remember what happened to the Lufthansa heist crew? Bodies again started showing up, a turn of events that was later depicted in "Goodfella's."
NearNorthGuy no está en línea  
Old January 23rd, 2007, 05:45 AM   #112
danthediscoman

Sometimes you don't realize how much you unkowningly liked something until its gone, it was tacky, but sometimes tacky isn't always a bad thing...the Hotel Cass neon sign went dark this past week.

Lets just hope they won't paint over that vintage Hotel Cass sign painted on the North side of the building.

Last edited by danthediscoman; January 23rd, 2007 at 05:51 AM.
Old January 25th, 2007, 03:20 AM   #113
spyguy
Expert

I don't think this was mentioned yet...

The Lynd Co. is developing a 32 story 335' building at 161 W Kinzie, replacing the former SCB project at Wells and Kinzie. The building is designed by Valerio Dewalt Train and supposedly contains four levels of retail.

Image and more info from Newcityskyline
http://www.newcityskyline.com/161KinzieArticle.html

spyguy no está en línea  
Old January 25th, 2007, 03:59 AM   #114
danthediscoman

I can't wait to see the rendering, how come nobody has posted it yet?!

I forgot to ask is this condo or rent?

Last edited by danthediscoman; January 25th, 2007 at 04:33 AM.
Old January 25th, 2007, 07:18 AM   #115
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

This doesn't surprise me. SCB used the design for this lot and recycled it for the Erikson Institute building a few blocks east. Once I saw that, I knew the original proposal for this lot was more or less dead.
ardecila no está en línea  
Old January 26th, 2007, 03:12 AM   #116
richardsonhomebuyers

Anyone know if something is going up next to Uno's? I walk by it every night on my way home and just noticed last night they had that little parking lot all fenced off.
richardsonhomebuyers no está en línea  
Old January 26th, 2007, 04:04 AM   #117
danthediscoman

^ I can't picture the parking lot next to Unos
Old January 26th, 2007, 04:38 PM   #118
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 101

Texas developer eyes River North lot
Considering apartments near Merchandise Mart

January 26, 2007
BY DAVID ROEDER AND FRAN SPIELMAN Staff Reporters
A San Antonio company has proposed building an apartment tower immediately east of the Merchandise Mart.
Lynd Co. has filed a zoning request with the city for property at 161 W. Kinzie. The site is at the southeast corner of Kinzie and Wells, and has a surface parking lot.

A Lynd affiliate has proposed a 32-story building containing about 250 homes plus 25,000 square feet of commercial space. The company owns or manages 36,000 apartments that are mostly in the southern United States.

This would be its first investment in Chicago, said Lynd's vice president for development, Jason Tompkins. He cautioned that the deal is not a sure thing, and that several design issues must be negotiated with the city.

Lynd has a contract to purchase the property, said Andy Gloor, principal of Sterling Bay Cos., the current owner. Gloor said he hopes the deal can close in 30 days.

Sterling Bay has considered several options for the lot since it acquired it in 2004 as part of its purchase of the former Helene Curtis building at 325 N. Wells.

The Helene Curtis property became office condominiums and Sterling Bay considered that use for the empty lot. But Gloor said his company and Lynd connected through a mutual acquaintance and that the prospective buyers were eager to expand to the Chicago market.
i_am_hydrogen no está en línea  
Old February 3rd, 2007, 09:43 PM   #119
spyguy
Expert

More images

spyguy no está en línea  
Old February 3rd, 2007, 10:28 PM   #120
danthediscoman

^oooh. I like it. If only it was a few extra floors!

Also I dropped in at Superior 110 Sales center today. It was formerly Opus 110 but a small marketing firm in Minnesota (of all places) sued them for name infringment. I was not able to get a sales % but he said the delay was due to complications from city permits and underground tunnels beneath the site, so he said any day now (of course thats what I was told in November but I have a good feeling about it this time. )