daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 4th, 2007, 07:06 PM   #121
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

Likes (Received): 2

Wait until you guys see what they're doing with the lobby of the Erikson Institute... Gensler is handling the interiors and they have something very special planned for the entry .

RE: the VDT tower, I have a friend who works there - I'll see if he can't get some more information (and possibly a rendering) of the tower.

Sponsored Links
Old February 5th, 2007, 03:24 AM   #122
danthediscoman

Likes (Received): 1

^So I assume the smiley face means its a good "wait until you see" rather than a bad "wait until you see" So what is it!? Spill the beans!... My teacher is on the design team at Gensler, maybe I can pry something out of him on Tuesday about it if you aren't going to tell us
danthediscoman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2007, 05:22 AM   #123
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff_diamond View Post
they have something very special planned for the entry .
Giant digital display flashing obscenities?
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2007, 06:10 AM   #124
BorisMolotov

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Giant digital display flashing obscenities?
Better yet, giant digital display flashing obscenities directed at Rex Grossman
BorisMolotov no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2007, 06:52 AM   #125
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
they have something very special planned for the entry .
^ A street vendor?
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2007, 01:34 AM   #126
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

I can't tell

I'm interviewing at Gensler tomorrow and I don't want to jeopardize anything by spilling some beans that were supposed to stay in the can. It's a good smiley though - I think you'll be very impressed if it happens like it's supposed to.
Old February 7th, 2007, 06:00 AM   #127
danthediscoman

^Good Luck
Old February 7th, 2007, 06:44 AM   #128
spyguy
Expert

Yeah, good luck with the interview. Maybe if you get the job you can drop a line or two so that B37 isn't a complete surprise for us all
Old February 13th, 2007, 06:32 PM   #129
spyguy
Expert

http://www.globest.com/news/842_842/.../152890-1.html

Alter Starts $90M Tower, Active Year On Tap
By Gina Kenny

The Alter Group recently started construction on a 227,604-sf office building at 111 W. Illinois St., estimated to cost $90 million. Several projects are also planned across the country, including Corridors 4 locally in Downers Grove and two industrial buildings in Mount Prospect.

The nonprofit Erickson Institute, a graduate school for child development professionals, will anchor the 10-story 111 W. Illinois St. in the River North neighborhood. The school has agreed to buy three floors, about 75,000 sf, as an office condominium. No other leases have been signed at the property. “Up until, now it has really been getting this Erickson deal done and getting the building off and running,” Alter Group president Michael Alter says. “In the next 30 to 60 days, we will be focusing more on trying to get it leased up.”

The majority of the rest of the building could be filled possibly by a hotel with retail, such as a restaurant, on the ground floor. “The hotel is a good use for the building. It is not the only use. It could be office or hotel,” says Matthew Ward, senior vice president for the Alter Group. “We are talking to several hotels right now but we do not have anything signed up.”

The average lease rate will “probably be in the low to mid $20s” per sf, Ward tells GlobeSt.com

Completion of the building, designed by Martin Wolf, senior principal with Solomon Cordwell Buenz & Associates, is expected in early 2008. Cushman & Wakefield of Illinois Inc. is the marketing agent and McHugh Construction Co. is the general contractor for the project.
Old February 14th, 2007, 01:46 AM   #130
mohammed wong

Likes (Received): 10

there is a small picture i found
if you google news it with alter group chicago,
it is the fifth one down on feb first, costar group,

anyways it looks nice and simple, a black building with nice windows,
something different, a little reminiscent of mies van der rohe,
and the black bands around it are asymmetrical,
i really need to learn how to post pictures.

Alter Group Develops Class A Space at 111 W. Illinois
Erickson Institute To Anchor 227,600-SF Building in River North

The Alter Group broke ground this month on its latest development, 111 W. Illinois St., a 10-story, 227,604-square-foot Class A building in downtown Chicago's world-class River North neighborhood. Construction is due to be completed by fourth quarter of next year.

Erickson Institute, the anchor tenant, will occupy approximately 75,000 square feet at 111 W. Illinois. The institute will have its separate entrance to the building. Erickson is one of the nation's leading graduate schools dedicated to the education of child development professionals. Geoff Euston, senior vice president of U.S. Equities Realty, represented Erickson Institute.

Euston said, "A key factor in the decision to purchase rather than lease space was the tax-exempt financing and future real estate tax exemption Erikson would receive from owning its space. These economic incentives afforded Erikson the ability to purchase almost double the amount of space it currently leases and at a much lower cost than leasing comparable space."

The building was designed by Martin F. Wolf, FAIA, senior principal with Solomon Cordwell Buenz & Associates, and will incorporate a suite of green building, sustainable design and performance elements. The building’s significant technological capabilities include 10 watts per square foot of electricity capacity; ample cable and fiber optic capacity; a high-density HVAC system that assures maximum flexibility; energy-efficient low-e glass; a high-efficiency air-handling system; a dedicated telecommunications room that accommodates multiple fiber carriers; dual power grids; an automatic transfer switch to assure uninterrupted power supply; and ample room for dedicated user generators.

Erickson's trustee Virginia Bobins, who helped lead the search process, said in a statement that it "took a 4 ½ year study and search to identify the best location to suit the institute's unique needs ... and that the new permanent space will allow for projected growth in academic programs, research activities, community projects and clinical programs."

Michael Alter, president of the national corporate real estate development firm, stated that the building "offers the same quality of space as a premium-priced skyscraper, but at 40 percent of the cost. Office space at 111 W. Illinois St. is a strategic investment that lets owners build equity and enjoy significant tax advantages, long-term appreciation and stable occupancy costs."

Matthew A. Ward, senior vice president at The Alter Group, said, "111 W. Illinois St. offers users the unique opportunity to be a single-floor user with expansion options in a Class A product. Other potential users include a boutique hotel with a dedicated entrance and lobby, a white-tablecloth restaurant and retail space."

Jeffrey P. Samaras, executive vice president, and Jeffrey Mulder, associate director, at Cushman & Wakefield are The Alter Group's exclusive marketing agents for the building. 400001036
del.icio.us
Digg

Copyright © 1997-2007 CoStar Realty Information, Inc. All rights reserved. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use
Webinars | RSS | Site Map

Last edited by mohammed wong; February 14th, 2007 at 01:51 AM.
mohammed wong no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2007, 05:59 AM   #131
danthediscoman

110 W SUPERIOR

Spotted something new on the fence....Looks like they finally got their permits last week!

There are two on display one for the costruction of the actual tower and the other for the sidewalk scafolding.

Old February 16th, 2007, 08:15 AM   #132
Retrograde
Chicago

Likes (Received): 4

February 15, 2007

River North Marriott Suites
Retrograde no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2007, 06:16 PM   #133
danthediscoman

*Finally* a little activity on the Dana Hotel site. A backhoe ripping up soil and concrete.
Old February 24th, 2007, 02:20 AM   #134
BorisMolotov

Likes (Received): 9

Whats the Dana hotel? I've never heard of this one, or at least not this name.
BorisMolotov no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2007, 01:09 AM   #135
danthediscoman

^If you saw it in its final year you would be happy that its gone. It was abondaned w/ broken windows and that nasty dive of a restaurant was disgraceful. But if the property owner would of maintained it I agree it would of been ashame to loose it.
Old March 6th, 2007, 05:55 PM   #136
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 203

Moderation Note

Any additional discussion of 660 N State/Dana hotel site can be continued in this thread: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=448713.

Thanks.
i_am_hydrogen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2007, 07:53 AM   #137
Retrograde
Chicago

Likes (Received): 4

March 8, 2007

River North Marriott Suites

161 W Kinzie

^ soil testing
Retrograde no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2007, 08:28 PM   #138
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

Thank god the Marriott is going to get hidden by 353 N. Clark. It's going to be one ugly bitch.
Old March 10th, 2007, 09:53 PM   #139
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Thank god the Marriott is going to get hidden by 353 N. Clark. It's going to be one ugly bitch.
^ True that may be, but you've gotta love the collossal urban canyon that is being created over there. And only in a few short years:

The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2007, 11:07 PM   #140
turbodub_6

Likes (Received): 0

West Huron and North Orleans...

Hey guys,

Does anyone have any ideas on what could be going in at the corner of West Huron and North Orleans? Currently, that area is just a parking lot and a seemingly deserted old shop.

I managed to find these two links related to the site, but it looks like those plans have been scrapped:

http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/bu/?id=...chicago-il-usa

http://www.brininstool-lynch.com/1_p.../300Huron.html

I'd really appreciate any sort of info you guys could provide about what you think could be going in there (and when).

The reason I ask is because I'm thinking about buying a unit at 757 N. Orleans (Chicago and Orleans) that faces South. I don't want my view to get totally blocked by a 35 story building comes up 2 blocks South.

Thanks!

Last edited by turbodub_6; March 15th, 2007 at 11:55 PM.
turbodub_6 no está en línea   Reply With Quote