daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old March 15th, 2007, 11:33 PM   #141
High Life on LSD
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 64
Likes (Received): 2

I have a question. Why is Filling up River North considered a High Rise Development News, rather than neighborhood development news? I already think Chicago has the most organized threads on this BBS let's keep up.

Last edited by High Life on LSD; March 15th, 2007 at 11:39 PM.
High Life on LSD no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 15th, 2007, 11:33 PM   #142
trvlr70
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 258
Likes (Received): 0

I have no idea but think you are smart to inquire. And never believe a word from your realtor.
trvlr70 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2007, 12:25 AM   #143
i_am_hydrogen
muted
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 7,080
Likes (Received): 203

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Life on LSD View Post
I have a question. Why is Filling up River North considered a High Rise Development News, rather than neighborhood development news? I already think Chicago has the most organized threads on this BBS let's keep up.
Because most of the projects discussed in this thread are high-rises.
i_am_hydrogen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2007, 01:24 AM   #144
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades
 
ardecila's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: New Orleans/Chicago
Posts: 1,391
Likes (Received): 2

I wouldn't worry about it. As beautiful as that proposed tower is, it's dead for at least a few years. If anything does get built there, it will probably not be higher than 757 Orleans anyway.

BTW, I also love 757. My favorite of the many projects going up around River North.
ardecila no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2007, 06:58 AM   #145
turbodub_6
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 5
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
I wouldn't worry about it. As beautiful as that proposed tower is, it's dead for at least a few years. If anything does get built there, it will probably not be higher than 757 Orleans anyway.

BTW, I also love 757. My favorite of the many projects going up around River North.
Thanks for the comments guys. Do you know how long that proposed tower has been dead for and why it died? Also, what leads you to believe that anything being built there wouldn't be taller than 22 stories? Is there some regulations in River North or something, or do you just have a feeling?

Thanks everyone!
turbodub_6 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2007, 07:39 AM   #146
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades
 
ardecila's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: New Orleans/Chicago
Posts: 1,391
Likes (Received): 2

No, just the feasibility of the project. Although construction itself is increasing daily, sales of units are slowing. If this tall project couldn't make it at this location, it will cast a bad light on a similarly-sized project.

Any developer who gets the parcel in the future will probably scale his plans down, because of the difficulty of selling large numbers of units, and also to stay in the context of the other high-rises in the area.
ardecila no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2007, 06:44 PM   #147
turbodub_6
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 5
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
No, just the feasibility of the project. Although construction itself is increasing daily, sales of units are slowing. If this tall project couldn't make it at this location, it will cast a bad light on a similarly-sized project.

Any developer who gets the parcel in the future will probably scale his plans down, because of the difficulty of selling large numbers of units, and also to stay in the context of the other high-rises in the area.
Those are great points. I had thought about the "context" of the area not really being fit for a huge building, but wasn't sure that was good logic that would really hold.

I totally agree that the slow-market throws a damp-towel on any huge plans for the site for now. My thoughts are that something will end up going there eventually (empty buildings and parking lots don't last forever do they?), and I'd just love to know that it's only a 20 story mid-rise.

Thanks!
turbodub_6 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2007, 07:47 PM   #148
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop
 
geoff_diamond's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,578
Likes (Received): 2

I never understood why this thread wasn't merged with "Other Downtown Stuff" to be honest with you. Maybe this is something that we should look in to?
__________________
Straight from Michigan and Monroe in downtown Chicago!
geoff_diamond no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2007, 11:29 PM   #149
spyguy
Expert
 
spyguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 6,916
Likes (Received): 97

I guess you could, although there's a point where a thread can have TOO much stuff in it.
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2007, 12:08 AM   #150
i_am_hydrogen
muted
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 7,080
Likes (Received): 203

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff_diamond View Post
I never understood why this thread wasn't merged with "Other Downtown Stuff" to be honest with you. Maybe this is something that we should look in to?
Merging threads isn't as easy as it sounds. When you do it, posts are merged in their chronological order, so you end up with a bunch of mismatched posts. Besides, this thread has proven useful in starting discussions about projects that later evolve into having their own individual threads.
i_am_hydrogen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2007, 07:44 PM   #151
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop
 
geoff_diamond's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,578
Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Merging threads isn't as easy as it sounds. When you do it, posts are merged in their chronological order, so you end up with a bunch of mismatched posts. Besides, this thread has proven useful in starting discussions about projects that later evolve into having their own individual threads.
Makes perfect sense. I just wonder if there's some naming convention we can use, then, to make this thread and the "Other Downtown..." thread more harmonious with everything else on the board?

I also do want to just say congratulations on how this forum has turned out - we've come a LONG way in the past year in terms of being organized. It's an absolute joy to interact with the Chicago Development board now . So, appropriate thanks go out to all those involved in the process!
__________________
Straight from Michigan and Monroe in downtown Chicago!
geoff_diamond no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2007, 05:45 PM   #152
i_am_hydrogen
muted
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 7,080
Likes (Received): 203

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff_diamond View Post
Makes perfect sense. I just wonder if there's some naming convention we can use, then, to make this thread and the "Other Downtown..." thread more harmonious with everything else on the board?
I see your point. I'm going to change this thread to "River North Development News" and the Other Downtown Stuff thread to "Other Downtown Development News." I think the latter thread is a useful way to keep tabs on smaller projects, such as Vetro or Burnham Pointe, that don't have their own threads. It's also a good place to post information about downtown that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Quote:
I also do want to just say congratulations on how this forum has turned out - we've come a LONG way in the past year in terms of being organized. It's an absolute joy to interact with the Chicago Development board now . So, appropriate thanks go out to all those involved in the process!
Thanks, I appreciate you saying that. When I first became a mod here, the development news section was so random. Thread titles were mostly news headlines like "New Project in Streeterville" that didn't even mention the project name, let alone the height or development phase. Now, the naming conventions are more consistent and user-friendly. People don't have to keep asking "How tall is this one?" or "Is this one under construction?"
i_am_hydrogen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2007, 01:31 AM   #153
Frumie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 717
Likes (Received): 0

And your Quick Links thread has added greatly to this forums lucidity. Thanks for all you do.
__________________
You truly want peace? Be righteous.
Frumie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2007, 08:03 PM   #154
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop
 
geoff_diamond's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,578
Likes (Received): 2

^-- Yup. Totally agree. The quick-links have been a real boon.
__________________
Straight from Michigan and Monroe in downtown Chicago!
geoff_diamond no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2007, 06:23 PM   #155
BVictor1
Chicago's #1 Fan
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,185
Likes (Received): 880

http://www.suntimes.com/business/roe...eder21.article

March 21, 2007
BY DAVID ROEDER Sun-Times Columnist

BUCK BEAT: Maybe this will be the last spring to enjoy the plaza next to the American Medical Association building at 515 N. State. Developer John Buck Co. has filed zoning plans for a building of about 40 stories on that plaza at 505 N. State. The proposal calls for 261 boutique hotel rooms and 121 condos, plus parking for 121 cars.

Buck principals declined to comment. But last year, they said they had formed a partnership with Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide Inc. to introduce a hotel flag called aloft (yes, all in lower case) at the River North site and elsewhere in the Chicago area.

The zoning application said Buck's State Street venture is a partnership with the landowner, Champaign-based Royal Properties. Royal invests in student housing, but a source said that isn't a part of the State Street project.

Buck wants to change the zoning that allowed a 22-story, 454,000-square-foot office building on the plaza. The new plan involves a taller and thinner building and is just one of many decisions that will land in the lap of downtown's incoming alderman, Brendan Reilly.
BVictor1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2007, 12:54 AM   #156
spyguy
Expert
 
spyguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 6,916
Likes (Received): 97

40 stories would be pretty good. I still like the plaza that is there though.
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2007, 08:43 PM   #157
Flubnut
4th Level of Hades
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Chicago
Posts: 709
Likes (Received): 5

I'd vote to keep the plaza. It's really the only green space IN River North. There are plenty of drab parking lots available to build hotels on.
Flubnut no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2007, 09:41 PM   #158
urban_addict
Craving density 24/7
 
urban_addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 141
Likes (Received): 0

^Agreeable... I used to spend plenty afternoons eating lunch in that plaza.
urban_addict no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2007, 01:31 AM   #159
Frumie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 717
Likes (Received): 0

From the beginning two structures were to rise on that site, but an economic turndown put that on the back burner. The park was a delightful afterthought. Enjoy it while it lasts.
__________________
You truly want peace? Be righteous.
Frumie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2007, 04:06 AM   #160
Reaperducer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 176
Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flubnut View Post
I'd vote to keep the plaza. It's really the only green space IN River North. There are plenty of drab parking lots available to build hotels on.
Ditto. It's uncharacteristic of me to oppose a new tower, but there are ugly parking lots and other crappy buildings just two or three blocks from that location that would be better for the neighborhood if they were replaced.
Reaperducer no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 02:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu